Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Deeming Rule and Tin Warnings

2»

Comments

• Options
    As long as they (the politicians) do not ban the tobaccos, they can write whatever they want at the tins, after all, we don't smoke tins, so...
  • Options
    The EU has some pretty strict labeling rules, too, so don't be in to big a hurry to blame the FDA.
  • Options
    Imagine a warning label on the Mona Lisa that covers half of the painting-reading:

”warning, extended exposure and/or viewing may cause pretentious overthought on artistic idea and symbolism.” 
  • Options

Senators Voice Support For FDA’s Proposed Flavored Tobacco Product Ban

https://tobaccobusiness.com/senators-voice-support-for-fdas-proposed-flavored-tobacco-product-ban/

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently proposed a ban on flavored tobacco products and menthol cigarettes to address the increasing number of youth smoking and using these products [read more here], and now that proposal is gaining support as 21 senators have penned a letter supporting the ban.

(edited for length)

The senators applauded the FDA’s decision to include cigars and menthol cigarettes in its proposed flavored tobacco product ban, referring to these particular products as ones that they “know disproportionately impact youth, and urge FDA to act swiftly to undergo and complete a rule-making process to remove these products from the market.”

In the letter, the senators lay out a case for banning flavored tobacco products like e-cigarettes. It quotes findings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) and FDA’s National Youth Tobacco Survey (NYTS) that show a reported 78 percent increase among high school students that use e-cigarettes and a 48 percent among middle school students between 2017 and 2018. Other facts and figures were used to support the FDA’s recent claims that e-cigarette use among America’s youth had reached epidemic status. It also noted that these figures justify the FDA’s proposal to restrict the sale of most flavored e-cigarettes to age-restricted retail settings and websites with high age verification practices. Despite this, the senators feel more can and should be done to address the “epidemic”.

(edited for length)

All of the 21 senators voicing their support of the bill are Democrats and include: Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn.; Sherrod Brown, (D-Ohio); Chris Coons, (D-Del.); Richard Durbin, (D-Ill.); Dianne Feinstein, (D-Cal.); Kristen Gillibrand, (D-N.Y.); Kamala Harris, (D-Cal.); Margaret Hassan, (D-N.H.); Amy Klobuchar, (D-Minn.); Edward Markey, (D-Mass.); Catherine Cortez Masto, (D-Nev.); Jeffrey Merkley, (D-Ore.); Patty Murray, (D-Wash.); Jack Reed, (D-R.I.); Brian Schatz, (D-Hawaii); Jeanne Shaheen, (D-N.H.); Tina Smith, (D-Minn.); Tom Udall, (D-N.M.); Elizabeth Warren, (D-Mass.); Sheldon Whitehouse, (D-R.I.); Ron Wyden, (D-Ore.)

For all the latest legislation and FDA news impacting the tobacco industry, click here.

==============================================================================

https://tobaccobusiness.com/vaping-prevention-act-2019/

Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) has introduced a new bill that sets out to prevent and reduce the use of tobacco products in America. H.R. 293, also known as the Youth Vaping Prevention Act of 2019, builds on 2018’s government attention to the growing use of e-cigarettes and vapor products among America’s youth. Citing many facts and figures that illustrate the popularity of e-cigarettes among middle and high school students and how the use of these products serves as a gateway to other health issues and increased tobacco use overall, H.R. 293 has the potential to impact more than just vape and e-cigarette manufacturers and products if passed.

This bill tackles flavors found in tobacco products, another hot-button issue of 2018. In the bill, it reads, “… a tobacco product that is not a cigarette, or any component, part, or accessory of such a product, shall not contain, as a constituent (including a smoke or aerosol constituent) or additive, an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco) or an herb or spice (including menthol, strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon, pineapple, vanilla, coconut, licorice, cocoa, chocolate, cherry, and coffee) that is a characterizing flavor of the tobacco product, tobacco smoke, or aerosol emitted from the product.” The only exception the bill provides for is in terms of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS), which will be allowed to use flavors if the manufacturer can prove the flavor will increase the odds of smoking cessation for the user, will not lead to increased youth use, and will not come with increased harm to the users–all very steep conditions for manufacturers to meet.

H.R. 293 also seeks to establish an equal excise tax among all tobacco product tax rates. To do this, it proposes changing Section 5701(f) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. For smokeless tobacco, this means changing $1.51 in paragraph 1 of Section 5701(e) to $13.42; in paragraph 2, 50.33 cents would change to $5.37; and also changing the wording so that the end reads, “SMOKELESS TOBACCO SOLD IN DISCRETE SINGLE-USE UNITS.–On discrete single-use units, $50.33 per thousand.” It also wants to change the code to ensure that “discrete single-use unit” is added, which would refer to any product containing tobacco that is not intended to be smoked and is in the form of a lozenge, tablet, pill, pouch, dissolvable strip, or other discrete single-use or single-dose unit. The bill would also address the tax rate for other tobacco products including large cigars and products defined as a tobacco product by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

A similar bill was previously introduced by DeLauro and it gained a few co-sponsors but went nowhere. H.R. 293 currently has no co-sponsors. If passed, this bill could prove damaging for the tobacco industry as it would strongly restrict the use of flavors in tobacco products. Its proposed amendments to the tax code would make many tobacco products–including cigarettes, pipe tobacco, cigars and other covered products–more expensive. The government’s interest in flavors in tobacco products was the focus of one of its Advanced Notices of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRMs) [read more here]. FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb announced some proposed policies impacting flavored e-cigarettes, menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars [read more here]. The bill also addresses the sale of some tobacco products across state lines, making mail-order and internet sales harder. This is meant to address youth access to these products and the collection of tobacco-related taxes between states.

You can read H.R. 293 here. For all the latest legislation and FDA news impacting the tobacco industry, click here.

• Options
    wbradkwbradk Apprentice
    How ironic that 75 years after beating the Nazis in WWII, the dirty SOBs have made a comeback and are infesting the government here.  
  • Options
    If you haven't already, time to stock that cellar boys. A little at a time and it won't break the bank...
  • Options
    wbradkwbradk Apprentice
    Rosa DeLauro, mentioned above, is a liberal from the Congressional District that includes New Haven; she has been in office since 1982.  (Besides being a lefty kook, she is probably the ugliest woman in Congressional history).  I happened to meet her predecessor, Larry DeNardis,  back in 1980 when he won his seat.   I was working an event in New Haven with my then boss, Jim Buckley, who was running for another Senate seat, and Ronald Reagan, who was then running for President.  It had its funny moments.  I spent a few hours before RR arrived bs'ing with one of his Secret Service agents, who was a young guy about my own age.  The guy says to me "See that old guy over there?  He is the head of the detail, and he was with JFK in Dallas.  He doesn't take any s*** from anybody."  So, a few hours later, as the event is about to start, here comes Larry DeNardis with a few staff people.  The problem was, they had failed to get the necessary Secret Service lapel pins that allow one into close proximity with a President or presidential candidate.  So my friend, the young agent, tells them to get lost.  DeNardis starts hollering about how he is running for Congress, etc., and the older Agent in Charge walks over, pokes his finger in DeNardis' chest and calmly says: "F.U.  If you're not out of here in 30 seconds, you're doing 30 years in federal prison."  The group actually ran to get away.  It turned out that the younger agent was right about his boss. Later, when RR showed up, his Advance Man failed to show up, so I walked down to the car and brought him up the sidewalk to the event.  He gave a fabulous speech and the protestors howled.  It was quite an evening.
  • Options
    Forgive me......

• Options
    How ironic is it that Rosa DeLauro is so anti-tobacco?  It could be that the number of tobacco farms in Connecticut have declined to the point that farmers no longer have any influence.  Or it simply could be she doesn't have her hands in the pocket of this particular lobby.  I'm not sure which it is. She's an embarrassment to Connecticut's citizens on this issue and I'm sure others.
  • Options
    WilhelmWilhelm Apprentice
    I actually jumped on this MacBaren Scottish Mixture sale too and am rather happy with the sticker, doubt I would waste it on a tin but perhaps a jar or repurposed crate might become its new home. I do hope this catches on as well; Pipe Tobacco tins are were very aesthetically pleasing.
  • Options
    Well, here's what I think about tin warnings...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ

Three superb choices. Yum.
    Have you tried Eastfarthing?