Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Savinelli Seconds

Burning another savinelli  second which is a very nice pipe. I have two of them and I have not had any issues with them at all. Matter of fact they are a few of my best in the rack. How many of you out there also have a "Savin Second" ? Have a great day.

Comments

• Options
    Savinelli Seconds are usually (not always, but usually) seconds because of blemishes or fills and not because of construction problems. At least that's what I was told. Savinelli's with drilling problems are sold as basket pipes with just "Made in Italy" stamped on them.
  • Options
    I've always wanted a Savinelli (second or otherwise) especially after watching Match860 on YouTube. The only second I've even owned is a Peterson. Didn't even realize it was a Peterson pipe until someone here informed me (think it was PappyJoe) that pipes marked Irish Seconds are in fact Peterson Pipes.
  • Options
    rumrum4merumrum4me Professor
    I'm not sure what constitutes a Savinelli second. Some might say Rossi pipes are Sav seconds, but I tend to view them more of a sub-brand. I felt that the unfinished Savinelli pipes were their true seconds. Most that I've seen have fills, and a couple I looked at had poor drilling, one of which had a double drilled airway. I have one of these pipes and it smokes as good as any other Savinelli I have, just not as pretty. That's all I have to share about this subject, hope it helps muddy the waters a little. LOL
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    I have a couple of Sav Seconds. My SS Poker is one of my top 5 smoking pipes. Great value. 
  • Options
    Rshey1Rshey1 Apprentice
    Well then, I think I may try one,never had a Savinelli I’m ashamed to say 
  • Options
    DavidR002DavidR002 Connoisseur
    Where do you buy seconds 
  • Options
    Subtilis87Subtilis87 Newcomer
    I love my Sav Second.  Smoking mechanics are great, lots of fills.  They take on a dark color quick, but the fills don't. I'm okay with itpicture of said pipe above
  • Options
    rumrum4merumrum4me Professor
    I got my unfinished Savinelli at The Country Squire too! Nice of them to give you a little apple juice also.  :D
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    I love seconds when it's only surface flaws and not mechanical. I'll sand and restain if I think I can match the fill(s). If not, I'll rusticate the affected area with a balanced pattern keeping as much of the original pipe unaffected. Or if the pits and fills are too many, I will rusticate most, if not all of the stummel. The result is an aesthetically pleasing pipe...
  • Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    I have a Sav.  Autograph second.... Not the pipes you are discussing per say but a solid smoker.