Home Tobacco Talk
Options

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK!

I'm not a lumberjack but I am OK, and for really the first time in my life, I've decided to grow a beard. I'm at the point where I think I need the proper grooming items such as beard wash, balm and/or oil, etc.  Any of you bearded brothers out there have any suggestions for product that you use that works well?  I noticed The Country Squire offers the Mississippi Mane line for beards.  Has anyone tried them?  Also, any recommendations for kits (brush, comb, scissors, etc)?  

Comments

• Options
    jim102864jim102864 Master
    edited April 2018
    @PappyJoe I was thinking the same thing about the various products that are alleged to be "must haves", but you've proven to me that that may not be the case.  The issue of facial hair and pipe smoking has come up before.  I must confess that I think the two go hand in hand.  As an aside, I've enjoyed some of  your past comments recalling your adventures in the Coast Guard.  I have a buddy who was a submariner and I find his stories fascinating too.
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    Had a beard all my life,  only shaved it for about two years,  Just use equals shampoo and conditioner in the shower... Brush it,,, looks nice,,,, so the women say.

Pappy Joe seems right on about all the ‘stuff’. That ‘they’ say you need. 
    Spend your money on pipes and tobacco.
  • Options
    I've never used anything special on my beard, whatever I'm using on my head I use on my beard.
  • Options
    I started using beard oil and balm after my mom picked me up a few products as a surprise (she's a beautician, and spotted them at a beauty supply shop). Since then, I've acquired a little corner of beard products to mess around with. While these products don't seem to be very popular with the other members here, I enjoy using them. Sure, you don't need these products, but since I don't use cologne, it's a nice way to keep my beard smelling nice. One thing I've learned is that when Christmas rolls around, I can expect at least one gift of beard balm/oil during gift exchanges. One year, I ended up getting two bottles of beard oil from two different people.

I like beard oil, but with my beard length, beard balm is very useful. The balm acts similar to gel, so it sculpts my beard so it stays bushy, instead of flattening out. If it does get flattened for some reason during the day, a quick run through with my fingers will get it back into place. A beard comb isn't necessary since a hair brush works fine, but it's nice to have (and keeps hair from getting tangled in your beard). If your beard is on the shorter side (or very long in my friend's case), then start off with beard oil. I'd say my beard is medium length, so it's perfect for beard balm. I do have beard shampoo, but it's not necessary. Give it a try though if you're interested.

I asked for the Badger Beard Grooming kit in 2015, and I'm still working through it. Yes, I know, I bought it based on the name alone, but I'm very happy with it. You'll get a beard comb, oil, and balm for a good price. It's Badger Piper approved!

https://www.badgerbalm.com/p-598-beard-grooming-kit.aspx

• Options
    I wouldn’t worry about anything but beard oil and a brush/comb. If it gets longer you’ll need to brush it so it doesn’t look completely unkempt. And the oil is so your beard will stay soft, and most importantly, keep it from itching
  • Options
    Had a beard for over 45 years. I prefer to keep it short, and,like several of the fellas here, I don't try to do anything fancy with it.

• Options
    Let me clarify my earlier post. I stand by my statement that the products are not necessary for growing a healthy, and full, beard. And I do think its primarily a way to separate the bearded gentry from their money. But, as @thebadgerpiper said, It does help keep the beard smelling nicer and I too have received bottles of oil and tins of balm as gifts. I even use them. I just don't spend a lot of money on them.

I currently have several different aromas/flavors open: Coffee from The Texas Beard Co., a Honey/Whiskey one that came in a small clear skull, a Bergamot (citrus) and one other that reminds me of one of the old hair oils. The one I most enjoyed but I no longer have was Bay Rum. 

Back to my statement about these products separating us from our money. The price tag wasn't removed from the Honey/Whiskey. The gift giver paid $29.95 for a 2 oz. bottle. I could have bought 2 or 3 1.75 oz. tins of tobacco for the same price.
  • Options
    The only products that I use daily on my beard are Barbasol, a straight razor, and aftershave.  Been maintaining my beard for years that way.  I finish off with a little Brylcream the comb back my hair and that's it.     
  • Options
    Someday when I grow up (or at least retire from the Army) I plan on sporting a beard. The times I've let it grow for a few weeks between Drills I find it gets pretty itchy. For the past 30 years I just assumed this was just part of it. However, with all the hipster influence on beard products I decided to try Cremo's Beard and Scruff Cream (forrest blend). I tell you what... I love it! I use it after a shower and maybe once again during the day, and it stops all the itching. Plus, the forrest blend scent smells great... you feel like you really are a lumberjack!
  • Options
    The only thing I use is a small amount of Moustache Wax that I use when it gets unruly. I make it myself from a small amount of beeswax mixed with petroleum jelly and a drop or two Vetiver essential oil. Normally I just shape it with my fingers after a shower and it holds it's shape.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited April 2018
    Lol, funny thread. As you may have already guessed, yeah I use some stuff.  Primary and secondary moustache wax and a little beard balm for my goatee since my hair is so curly. Gotta tame it a bit. Smells great.
  • Options
    BentonBenton Newcomer
    I’ve had a beard for years. I don’t use any beard care products myself but I would encourage anyone to try all these products if you can. The reason being is your facial hair is unique and so is your skin. Use what works for you. 
     I found that daily combing which also stimulates and massages the facial skin keeps everything in good order. I also brush it for the same reason. It makes a big difference for me. 
  • Options
    After much deliberation and consideration, I took the plunge and bought beard balm, beard shampoo and some whisker wax from Mississippi Mane & Company.  It should be sitting on my doorstep when I get home from work.  I figured if I was going to do this, I might as well go big or go home.  I even bought a beard grooming kit off of Amazon (brush, comb and scissors). 
  • Options
    @jim102864, cool. Let us know what you think. I love my stuff. I also make my own sometimes.
  • Options

My only beard conundrum is whether allowing my beard to go snow white and give my face the sickly washed out look of a "Walking Dead" zombie or continue using the occasional Just For Men beard dye to add a little contrast to my face. Most of you guys look great with grey or white beards ... distinguished. I, on the other hand, look like I'm on the verge of a diabetic coma. So I leave the dye in just long enough to match the color of the hair on my head. Once my hair on my head goes completely grey I've resigned myself to accept it and allow the beard to follow suit.  

I've always found it odd that the hair on your head, which has been there since birth, retains it's color longer than facial hair, which didn't sprout up till about 18 years later. Theoretically my beard is younger than the hair on my head, so why did it start going grey when I hit 50.    

• Options
    It’s those damn fickle genes, @ghostsofpompeii. My whiskers are way whiter than what’s on my head as well, but I haven’t gone the dye route. Just too lazy to worry with maintenance, I reckon. My wife tells me I look younger clean-shaven and I gave it a temporary whirl for her.....but man, I’ve had facial hair a long time and it doesn’t feel natural to be bald-cheeked. I reserve the right to reconsider as the whim strikes.
  • Options
    As someone who is going grey early, I understand the frustrations @ghostsofpompeii . I decided to keep the beard as is and not worry about dyeing it for appearances. It didn't start kicking in until I started smoking a pipe, but I can't prove that they're related.
  • Options

@Bloodhound61 I've had a beard for as long as I was able to grow one. There were a few times when I had to shave it for one reason or another - but grew it back immediately afterwards. Once was because of a court appearance (had to wear a suit, shave and look respectable). Another time because it was deemed by the US Steel Safety Department that facial hair prevented a breathing apparatus (used during a rescue situation ... carbon monoxide was a constant hazard), but luckily for me at that point in my career I had an office job as well as a lifting restriction due to a back injury, so I couldn't be expected to be part of the life saving team. Another time was when I lost a bet. The bet actually seemed like a sure thing. It was during the Chicago Bears Superbowl run back in 1985, when they played that game against Miami. I was so sure they would win I accepted a challenge from a co-worker that should the Bears win he would shave his head (an old guy with a crew cut, so a shaved head wasn't that drastic) and should they lose I'd shave my beard. Well, it was their only loss that year. And wouldn't you know it ... the very same guys that mocked me about being a scruffy bearded Hippy then suggested I looked like a fat 12 year old. Immediately grew the beard it back. The only time since then was mishap while trimming my beard and it was impossible to fix, so I shaved off the whole thing. And then to my horror discovered I had the beginnings of old age jowls which the beard concealed. Man, I couldn't grow that beard back fast enough ... and I haven't shaved since. A beard hides many a imperfection. And I've got more than I care to reveal.   

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, those who mock us do so from their own deep-seated jealousy....repeated to myself often enough, i begin to believe it.

Outside of a couple of clipper spasms that resulted in a sudden shave, I’ve only lost the whiskers involuntarily one other time. A couple of years ago I was playing pick-up basketball with some kids and did what I am told was a pretty spectacular face-plant into the gravel. There may or may not have been beer involved. At any rate, the result was a broken nose and a pretty sizeable rock installed through my upper lip that required some shaving for stitching. I left the ER looking pretty silly and headed straight for a razor to finish what the Dr had begun.
  • Options
    I remember back when I was 18 or so, working at a small resaw mill in Springfield OR, one of the other guys (a 20-something) was a redhead with a big beard. One day, he showed up with it shaved off, and we discovered they guy had NO chin to speak of.

As for myself, my wife has never seen me without my beard (married Jan 1976) and has threatened that if I ever shave it off, I won't survive the shearing by any longer than it would take for her to kill me.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    I always had a mustache...just a regular one. Never had a beard until a couple years ago. I don't know why I never tried to grown one before. Fast forward to today, I now have a full VanDyke with handlebar mustache. It takes balls to do it but it's now my trade mark.  Lol
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - Funny you should mention facial hair preventing proper usage of a breathing apparatus. Went through the U.S. Navy firefighting school back in 1973 and a number of us engineering types had full beards. They sought to make an example of us by pointing out we would be the first out of the smoke chamber because we wouldn't get a get seal. Well, the first one out was a clean shaven young officer. Myself and 4 other engineers lasted the longest. The instructor rushed in thinking we had been overcome with the smoke and passed out. 
  • Options
    jim102864jim102864 Master
    edited May 2018
    @Londy3 I've had a goatee since my running days in the early early 90's but never a full beard. As for a handlebar, I so want to go there but unfortunately and admittedly, I DON'T have the balls to do so, at least not right now.  Since the first time I saw the Oakland A's/Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Rollie Fingers sporting his handlebar in the 70's and early 80's, I knew I'd grow one some day.  I work in the corporate world, and the fact that I'm growing a full beard is enough of a challenge.  I'm starting to get the stink eye from the boss, or at least I'm sensing his observations of my beard in its present growth state.  At last night's pipe club meeting I was chatting with  one of our members about his handlebar and the care it takes to maintain it.  It made me envious of him.  Still, I bought whisker wax, so the day I go for it is coming.
  • Options
    @Londy3 I've had a goatee since my running days in the early early 90's but never a full beard. As for a handlebar mustache, I so want to go there but unfortunately and admittedly, I DON'T have the balls to do so, at least not right now.  Since the first time I saw the Oakland A's/Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Rollie Fingers sporting his handlebar in the 70's and early 80's, I knew I'd grow one some day.  I work in the corporate world, and the fact that I'm growing a full beard is enough of a challenge.  I'm starting to get the stink eye from the boss, or at least I'm sensing his observations of my beard in it's present growth state.  At last night's pipe club meeting I was chatting with  one of our members was chatting about his handlebar, among other things.  It made me envious of him.  Still, I bought whisker wax, so the day I go for it is coming.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @jim102864, Just Do It!
    Amazing things will happen and it's all good. It's actually helped my business.
  • Options
    @Londy3 You're right.  If I do, you'll be the first one to know (besides my wife). What type of business are you in?  I'm a program claim manager for an insurance company.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @jim102864, management consulting, training and development company
  • Options
    I head a beard long time ago, but now is more practical shave it, for me at least. So the maintenance is least one thing to worry.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    @Londy3 — as two management consultants we should get together and compare notes. One of my best clients is a pipe smoker!