Home General
Options

Online sales and deals

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    The Savinelli Chubby Cutty’s are on sale at SPC.  If I did not have one already, I would have jumped on one.  The bowls are the same as one of Savinelli’s recent Anni/POY with a short stem.  They have a group 4 size bowl, I would guess, with thick walls.  There is also a metal disc embedded in the foot for magnetic bases….or aesthetics.  The stems are not super short either.  Mine is an awesome pipe.  I wanted a natural, but when they were first offered several years ago, the naturals flew out the door.  Even when I bought mine they were over $100 on sale.  They are way less than that in today’s SPC sale.  (I feel cheated).  I am having a very, very, difficult time not buying another….just because.  You can hardly find a basket pipe for the price.  Here are a dark brown, and brown example.  
  • Options
    I'm not going to buy any more pipes! I'm not going to buy any more pipes! I'm not going to buy any more pipes!
  • Options
    @mapletop;
    But I have so many!
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited May 2022
    If my last post may have seemed a bit incoherent, well, than it was; man do I need a breathalyzer on my computer?   It's Londy 3's fault. LOL
  • Options
    @mapletop;
    You spoke from the heart as does Brother @Londy3 . My grand babies are girls and I doubt they will become pipe smokers. They may hang on to a pipe or two as memories of their Poppa. I hope my son sells the rest, which will take some work. At any rate, all is good my Brother. I love you as well!
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    There you go with logic and reason again. And that's no shit.
  • Options
    Is there an actual dollar amount threshold on a pipe where you're supposed to feel guilty about buying it? For me, I never feel guilty about buying one for less than $50--over $50 and the guilts start to creep in exponentially up to $100...then I kill myself. But I'm sure that's different for different people.
  • Options
    I know some pipe smokers who don't hesitate to spend over $500 for a pipe. I know other pipe smokers who won't spend over $75 for a pipe.

In my opinion, if you feel guilty about buying something, then you shouldn't have bought it. The people I know who have felt guilt over buying something either couldn't afford it or could have used to money on necessities.

My reluctance to spend more than $300 for a pipe stems more from the thought of there are other things I can do with the money that my wife could also enjoy. Then again, I rode in Mardi Gras parades for 12 years and would spend in excess of $2500 each year. 

• Options
    ZouaveZouave Master
    @vtgrad2003 I used to work at a wine store years ago, and the one thing I noticed about wine was...the better you get at it, the more expensive it becomes. That being said, there are alot of less expensive very good wines. Pipes seem to be the same. As much as I would love to drop hundreds on a custom piece, I know some of my estate Dr. Grabows will smoke just as good. At least that's my take.  Personally I would feel guilty spending too much more than $150
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @opipeman
    Beautiful. I also consider a well crafted pipe a nice accessory to hold. Love my Savinelli's too

• Options
    I think you have a point...'finding the pipe's sweet spot'. Granted, many crappy smoking pipes smoke crappily because they are crap, but pipes from a quality manufacturer sometimes seem to smoke like crap when in essence, they just smoke "differently" than you want them to.

• Options
    Apparently, at least for me, the 15% Estate Pipe Sale at SmokingPipes.com has crashed their server?
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited June 2022
    Be very careful with SP's Estate Pipe sales...take a look at this.

Below is a new Rossi Antico 8628 for $66

Here is the exact same pipe from the Estate Section

Notice anything strange?

I've caught SP many times in the past doing this when the Estate Pipe sale happens.

• Options
    @vtgrad2003;
    Once again thank you for the heads up.
  • Options
    ZouaveZouave Master
    i have always wanted to grab one of these but they sold out before I ever had a chance. Glad they are releasing them again!
  • Options
    @Zouave
    Cool pipes, but they are pretty small.
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    I have been suspicious of SPC sales as well.  It seems to me they may jack the prices up, then put them on sale, at least for some of the pipes.
  • Options
    ZouaveZouave Master
    @RockyMountainBriar I don't mind the smaller cutty sized bowls. That seems to be all I ever get time for anyway.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Thanks @AceFour, I'm going for the 4th Gen.