Home Ask an Expert
Options

McClelland tins

2»

Comments

• Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    Look what one of my clients just grifted me. I love fellow pipe smokers.
  • Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    @PappyJoe
     PappyJoe,  I am familiar with those details. Some of my favorite blends are or soon will be gone (made by McClelland and Dunhill respectively). If the FDA is successful another batch of blends will be done for as well. Knowing this is true for many of us does not make it any easier.
  • Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
    Have an eclectic array of a dozen tins going to be very frugal in my consumption
  • Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    I have 100g tin of Frog Morton that I would like to gift someone  for a gift of 100g tin of Frog Morton Cellar . I meant to try FMC but the run on McClelland tobaccos beat me to it. Here I thought I had time before the FDA hammer fell down...silly me.
  • Options
    mustangiimustangii Professor
    Am I bad? I sold all my McClelland's on Ebay.
  • Options
    @mustangii opinions may vary, but i think you’re good man, they chose to pay whatever you sold it for. Lol
  • Options
    I am holding on to my meager stash for now. With the high eBay prices , I am tempted..
  • Options
    nelliefoxnelliefox Enthusiast
    I sold pounds of Esoterica's Penzance and both the older and newer versions of Smoker's Haven Krumble Kake a number of year ago...............Sometimes I regret it but, I still don't know if I would have broken the seal on those tins/bags a number of year late..............GO FIGURE?

Nellie Fox 
  • Options
    Well, this discussion has been dormant for two years.

I was recently called a troll and other nasty things because I criticized the McNeil's for shutting down and disassembling their plant while refusing to even consider selling their recipes. While I respect their decision to retire and close their doors, I disagree with them not licensing the name and recipes. The reason I've heard for this is that they didn't want their blends made with "inferior" leaf. 

From what I've read and heard over the years, the variance in quality in all crops changes from year to year. (Think how wine vintages change from year to year.) In my opinion, the decision was more about ego than anything else. They just did not want anyone else making and selling McClelland tobacco.

I bring this up now, because i was reorganizing my cellar and discovered a tin of McClelland's Master Penman I didn't know I had. I opened it and have been occasionally smoking it. I wish I would have bought 20 tins of it. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Just by-the-by, I find SPC Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged to be an excellent replacement for the sorely missed Frog Morton's Cellar...... right down to the barrel stave cube.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @RockyMountainBriar Now that @PappyJoe has bumped this topic back to the front page I noticed your response to my comments on the closure of a local Cobbler in my area, and you mentioned a similar experience.
    As the discussion continued, pondering the fate of the tobacconist, it got me wondering about a few other once common jobs that no longer exist, so I did a brief search to see what I could come up with. There were several jobs like Ratcatchers, Chimney Sweep, Clockwinder, and Town Criers that I omitted since they disappeared well before our time. But growing up in the 1950s' these now obsolete occupations I've listed did exist at some point during my lifetime.
    The Milkman (can't think of the last time I saw a milkman making home deliveries).
    Elevator Operators (most of the large department stores in my city had elevator operators even in the 60s').
    Linotype Operators ... a fancy name for typesetters (I worked at The Gary Post Tribune Newspaper during the 60s' and typesetters were responsible for the printed newspapers we all enjoyed). Now that I think of it ... I haven't seen a Paperboy in ages.
    Bowling Alley Pinsetters (most of the bowling alleys had gone automated in the 60s' by the time I was a teen and bowling with my friends, but there were a few old ones that still hired kids to set pins during the late 50s' when I'd watch my Dad bowl with his league).
    Switchboard Operators.
    Train transportation made big changes when eliminating Signalmen as well as the crew that rode in the Caboose ... which sadly is no longer at the end of the train.
    The Soda Jerk behind the counter of the local Drug Store (here in Gary, Indiana we had several drug store that had soda counters).
    The Cigarette Girls in nightclubs.
    Icemen who delivered blocks of ice to homes before the refrigerator became a mainstay in local kitchens.
    And now they've all but eliminated the Film Projectionist at your local cinema now that most theaters have transitioned from film to digital technology.
    When was the last time you heard the term Haberdasher?
    Who knows, in the next fifteen years the term tobacconist may be as obsolete as the old Lamplighter..  
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    << Who knows, in the next fifteen years the term tobacconist may be as obsolete as the old Lamplighter>>

I fear it is already......
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    There are a number of haberdasheries in New Orleans. They just don't have any in small towns anymore.