Home Ask an Expert
Options

McClelland tins

now that they are out of business are unopened tins worth more, i have seen high priced on ebay

Comments

• Options
    Mine sure are!
  • Options
    That tends to happen when supply disappears. It's a shame, but there are people out there that will take advantage of others looking for their favorite blends.
  • Options
    I just bought mine cuz I liked the blend, and never got around to opening them.  will give them 10 years or so and then try them out.
  • Options
    It's much like what happens when tins get a few years on them. They aren't sold at a discount because they are old, there is a price increase because they are aged.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I agree with @mfresa I went to my local B&M and got a couple (3 tins) of my favorite McClelland blends to have since they are going out. I am storing some for me personally. I was talking to my brother and he stopped in a couple of days afterwards and he said everything was gone. Someone had come in and bought anything and everything McClelland off of the shelves, I am sure they are one of those on eBay asking a premium like @thebadgerpiper was saying.

• Options
    Glad to hear that @PappyJoe . I can understand people who buy up stock of their favorite blends for their own use. However, I will not do any business with people taking advantage of stock scarcity for their own gain. It also happens in my other hobby (video games), and it annoys me to no end. I have an unopened tin of Frog Morton's Cellar that I might trade, since I've yet to smoke Cellar, and I'm not that interested in trying new blends I can't buy more of. If I do trade it, I'll be asking for a tin of equal value. I view other pipers as fellow brothers and sisters of the briar, and I will not take advantage of them.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper - in an age of cutthroat behavior, it was really nice to read your take on this.
    I have several tins of FM that I know I will never smoke, but will give as gifts in the next few years to fellow smokers who will appreciate the one of a kind opportunity.

• Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    It's just capitalism at its most rapacious. I can't really blame those who are responding to supply and demand as we've been taught. I can admire those who refuse to buy into it, so to speak.
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited March 2018
    @thebadgerpiper what size tin is that cellar if you don’t mind me asking...I’d be up for a trade if you’re still interested.

I have some unopened tins of Nording Hunter Labrador, SPC Plum Pudding Reserve, The Mind Meld Latakia. I’d possibly be willing to part with a Mind Meld/Labrador combo.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @thebadgerpiper I’m interested in a trade if you’re still wanting to move the Frog Cellar. If I have anything you want that is....I have unopened tins of The Mind Meld Latakia, Nording Hunter Labrador & SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve. I’d be willing to part with a Labrador/Mind Meld combo or the SPC...

I know you’re not looking for stuff that won’t be available, but the Labrador is still currently out there. Maybe if you try one, you may want to cellar some. Picked up a couple extra tins myself since @PappyJoe spoke very highly of it.

• Options
    Picked up 5 more tins of frog morton today 2 on the bayou 2 cellar an 1 across the pond. Along with 2 more sensei and 1 Elizibeathen dunhill.
  • Options
    the prices will likely continue to go up, which makes sense.  they will be rare, and with age some of them will likely smoke/taste better.  if its something someone wants years down the road, theyll be willing to pay more, just like we all pay more for scotch with more age/rarity. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words @Mangoandy . I'm a strong believer in capitalism, but I'm not down with taking advantage of others with a supply/demand issue.

I've contacted @ocpunk714 , and we're going to do a trade for that tin of FM Cellar.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper I think you’ll possibly find this video of interest to you. Possibly.  :D:D:D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=COdUXxMMFC8
  • Options
    Thanks for doing the video @ocpunk714 . I'll go for the Plum Pudding and trade you for the FM Cellar.
  • Options
    mustangiimustangii Professor
    Tempting, but I think I will keep mine. but if I need the money.....
  • Options
    Really going out of business? I have a few unopened tins hidden away somewhere that I picked up back in the 90’s.I think they always produced first rate mixtures.
  • Options
    @CMcGinnis Not going.  Gone. They’ve even sold off their equipment. Those tins should be well aged. 
  • Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    edited April 2018
    I wish I would have bought a tin or two of FNC before they all disappeared. I have been a fan of the whole series and was waiting to try the cellar. Thinking I had time with the FDA ultimately taking it away, I waited. Now the only consistent source, eBay sellers, is auctioning them off around 50. I guess that is one blend I will have to place into the I should have when I had the chance file...
    PS I recently came back to smoking pipes..
  • Options
    Keep an eye on pipestud.com, he’s a consignment seller but doesn’t charge outrageous prices. 
  • Options
    It's sad when something you like disappears like that. I'm glad that I have a couple of pounds of 5110 and 2020 and a few tins of FM. I probably won't use it up, my Doctors all say cut down so I only do 1 pipe full a day, but it's still good to have. I wish I had stored a good dozen or so of my favorite Wally Frank Blend, I went through 8 oz. or more every month till they closed before I got back there.
  • Options
    The only tin I’m regretting not getting when I had the chance to get more of, is Master Penman. I really enjoyed that aromatic, I only have a couple of tins left unopened.
  • Options
    In a related topic, today I finally got up the gumption to go to the Cobbler in the next town and see if I could pick up some green leather dye for my Big Ben Jade pipe that needs refinishing. And wouldn't you know it ... a shop that has been open for over 50 years closed down. The Cobbler had a nice sign in the window thanking customers for their years of patronage ... but just like tobacco blenders like McClennand, little specialty shops around the country are shuttering up their shops. When was the last time you took a pair of shoes to a Cobbler to be repaired? Most people simply buy a new pair. So with less customers it's no longer viable to keep a shop open. And I fear with the dwindling reduction in pipe smokers it's only a matter of time before tobacconists become as obsolete as cobblers.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I swear, you have me constantly thinking of the Pipe Smoking Apocalypse. Lol.@ghostsofpompeii
  • Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    Looking at what others have been saying, I thought there has been a renewed interest in pipe smoking these last number of years or so.
    Q
  • Options
    @qmechanics - There has been a renewed interest for about 10 years or so. The problems lie with the FDA deciding on its own that it also regulates pipes and cigars to start with. Follow that with the Dunhill decision that been connected to pipe tobacco and cigars is detrimental to the men’s lifestyle image they want to portray. The McClelland decision to close its doors was based on several factors; the McClelland’s were having problem getting the quality leaf they wanted, FDA regs, and the simple fact they wanted to retire. 
  • Options
    Hmm, a day late and a dollar short.  I only have one tin of Beacon....rats!   What to do now?
  • Options
    @ ghostsofpompeii
    I to recently went to have some new soles put on a pair of boots and the cobbler had closed shop.  He was 80+, no apprentice.  It’s a throwaway society, few places left for true artisans/craftsman.  My brother had just had a pair of boots repaired there recently, it was where my father had his work boots repaired in the past as well.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    hmm.....no space after the @.