Home General
Options

Pipe Smokers In Movies ... Who Put That List Together?

Quite a while back we were discussing pipe smokers in movies and one of the members comprised a list containing an extensive list of films - providing a link to his master list inviting others to add titles they may have come across. I've been unable to find the original post in the archive ... I'm sure it's there but my eyeballs can't locate it. At the time of the original discussion I was relatively new to the group and wasn't as familiar with the members, so I can't recall who it was that had comprised the list. And since my butt is usually planted in front of a TV, I'm an insomniac as well as a binge watcher I've had ample time to discover a variety of movies featuring pipe smokers. It's almost as if I have a pipe smoker radar system that immediately detects a pipe smoker ... even the extra in a crowd scene. I've jotted down every pipe smoker that appears on the screen in a notebook on the end table. (I have no life) And wanted to see if I might add a few titles to the list.  

Comments

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- I went looking for the list you mention: Pipe smokers in movies. I did not find such a list in a search of our discussion folders, but I found these:

Rick Newcombe's Pipe Smoking in the Movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3u_AYckzAc

Famous Pipe Smokers

https://www.pinterest.com/dtfordjr/famous-pipe-smokers/

Famous Pipe Smokers

https://josephcrusejohnson.blogspot.com/

....and this:

• Options
    One to the list,the actor that played Allen Dulles in the movie Bridge Of Spies was smoking a pipe. Pretty good movie about the trade of Russian spy Rudolf Able for Francis Gary Powers.Good Cold War drama.during Ike's administration.
  • Options
    @Pappyjoe I thought it was @Motie2 as well because he's a wealth of information and seems like a person that would have done the type of research necessary to put that chart together. I know I saw it here ... but I'll be darned if I can remember what discussion it's located in.   
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2018
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Meanwhile, try looking for a satisfactory list at 
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Pipe+smok+movies

I used "smok" as a key word to include "smoking" and "smokers"
  • Options
    Didn't want to start a new thread for movies..but I just watched this film over the weekend and my fiance laughed at me when I got excited that they were smoking pipes in it. Movie is called Assassination, based on a plot to assassinate key persons during the occupation of Japan in Korea. My grandparents lived in this era.

https://youtu.be/AynW_2b1CZY

• Options
    I still recommend "Loving Vincent" as a great movie featuring pipe smoking.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Was it in Famous Pipe Smokers?
  • Options
    Been watching some of the pre-political correctness Agatha Christie movies and noticed their were pipe smokers in them. Murder on the Orient Express (1974) had Sean Connery smoking a pipe. Evil under the Sun (1982) had the Patrick Redfern character, And Then There Were None (1945) Judge Francis Quincannon - played by Barry Fitzgerald - smoked a pipe. Fitzgerald was also the Irish matchmaker in the great Irish movie "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne. 

We And Then There Were None on Amazon Prime Video and it include a 30-minute short named The Mother Hubbard Case featuring Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Holmes smoked a bent briar and Watson smoked a bent briar Military Mount pipe. 

It saddened me that none of the cable channels showed any good St. Patrick's Day movies like The Quiet Man. Instead, one channel kept replaying those Leprechaun horror movies.
  • Options
    Both characters smoke a pipe in the gripping opening scene of Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds.
  • Options

Since this conversation first came up I've been keeping track of movies I've watched with a pipe smoker in the scene ... be it a major character or minor extra featured in a crowd or pub. My eyes are always peeled for the appearance of a pipe smoker no matter how short his or her scene. As you'll see by the list I've compiled I'm a horror film fanatic so the majority of films are of a horror.fantasy.sci-fi nature. The last film on the list "The Wolf Man") contained the most 'featured' characters whereas the majority of pipe smokers were relegated to bit parts or extras in crowd scenes or seated in a pub. 

"The Day The Earth Stood Still"  - Professor Barnhart (Sam Jaffee)

"Blood Beach" - the Coroner

"The Giant Behemoth" - several village fishermen on the dock and the village doctor.

"Attack Of The 50 Ft. Woman" - family doctor

"War-Gods Of The Deep" - hotel guest playing Chess

"The Corpse Bride" - Fishmonger Delivery Coachman (Mayhew), and Dead Gentleman (Alfred)

"Raiders OF The Lost Ark" - Belloc smokes water pipe in tavern, Government agent who puts Ark in storage

"Man Made Monster" - Reporter (Mark Aadams)

"The Time Machine" (remake) - extra warming hands in park

"Godzilla" (original) - Reporter Steve Martin played by Raymond Burr

"Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi" - An Ewok listening to 3CP0 telling stories

"Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" (original) - Uncle Irma while mowing the lawn, and writer Jack Belicec

"My Bloody Valentine" - Police Chief mainly smokes a Falcon, and bearded customer in the bar

"The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow" (TV movie) - man in tavern smoking clay pipe, and Mr. VanTassle sitting on porch smoking Calabash

"Blood Of Thje Vampire" - Casistratis main character smokes a Calabash, and man in bar

"The Evil" - Sam the Groundskeeper

"The Godfather" - Director Waltz who ends up with the horse head in bed with him

"The Godfather II" - Senator at sub-committee

"The Man Who Could Work Miracles" - man in bar

"Caltiki The Immortal Monster" - Astronomer in Planetarium

"The Reptile" - man in bar smoking pipe

"The Hellfire Club" - Timothy smoking clay pipe

"The Giant Gila Monster" - Sheriff

"The 27th Day" - man in bar listening to radio

"Zotz" - The Dean (Cecil Kellaway)

"The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" - the Professor (once again played by Cecil Kellaway)

"Funny Farm" - this one is a bit of a stretch, Chevy Chase holds a pipe to look more intelectual

"The Ghost And Mrs. Muir" - The Ghostly Sea Captain, and the book publisher

"The Uninvited" - fisherman in town, owner of the tobacco shop, man who rents out sailing boats, Mr. Jessup the Gardener

"Portrait Of Jenny" - the old fisherman

"The Hideous Sun Demon" - research scientist Doctor Ladel

"The Nutty Professor" - Dr. Davenport the psychiatrist

"The Undying Monster" - Criminologist Bob Curtiss

"The Head" - the stripper's boyfriend

"The Wolfman" (remake) - man in tavern, various gypsies in camp

"Creature From The Black Lagoon" - scientist (Whit Bissell)

"Revenge Of The Creature" - reporter at Oceanworld 

"The Creature Walks Among Us" - scientist Doctor Borg

"The Mole People" - Dr. Bently (John Agar)

"Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" (1932) Dr. Jekyll in his lab

"Monster On Campus" - Professor Blake (Arthur Franz), head of college Science Department Doctor Howard

"The Monolith Monsters" - Professor Flanders

"The Incredible Shrinking Man" - another stretch Scott Carey has pipe rack with several pipes

"This Island Earth" - yet another stretch as Carl Meacham packs pipe while speaking but never lights it

"The Leech Woman" - Darby the jungle guide

"Halloween" - Sheriff Braken is smoking his pipe when he bumps into Laurie Strode early in the film

"Christmas With The Kranks" - Vic Fromeyer at the Christmas party

"One Million B.C." - scientist in the cave telling the tale to the group of hikers

"The Picture Of Dorian Gray" - Basil the painter of the portrait, and several patrons in "Two Turtles Pub"

"It Happened On 5th Avenue" - Mike O'Connor

"Vampire" (TV movie) E.G. Marshall detective

"The Vampire's Ghost" - several patrons in bar

"White Zombie" - Dr. Brunner smokes a Calabash

"Before I Hand" - Prison Warden

"The Man They Could Not Hang" - newspaper reporter Scoop Folley, police officer in station, 2 reporters at Death Row before hanging, District Attorney

"The Black Room" - assorted men smoking Tyrolean pipes in pub, Boris Karloff as evil twin Greggor 

"The Black Castle" - several patrons smoking clay pipes in Green Man Pub"

"The Climax" - Karl the music teacher

"The Man With Nine Lives" - man who rents boats, the Sheriff

"The Devil Commands" - scientist at experiment presentation, Sheriff Willis

"The Body Snatcher" - Grey the Body Snatcher smoking a clay pipe

"Mask Of Fu Manchu" - scientist (Jean Hershold)

"The Mad Magician" - Hanson Cab driver

"Gorgo" - fisherman repairing boat, Island Harbormaster

"Blood Of Dracula" - Police Lieutenant at station

"How To Make A Monster" - Director talking to pirate during filming a scene

"The She-Creature" - Dr. Erikson Doctor Of Parapsychology

"The Lost World" (A&E Movie) - Professor Challenger (Bob Hoskins)

"The Wizard Of Oz" - Uncle Henry, one of the Munchkins

"The Oblong Box" - Witch Doctor

"Island Of Lost Souls" - Montgomery, Edward Parker

"King Kong" (original) - Karl Denam, ship sailor on watch when Anne Darrow gets kidnapped by natives

"Song Of Kong" - Karl Denam

"Attack Of The Giant Leeches" - old man smoking a corn cob pipe in country store

"The Cyclops" - main character played by Michael Craig

"Fiend Without A Face" - Professor Walgate

"The Flesh Eaters" - German scientist Peter Bartell

"The Thing From Another World" - one of the scientist (never could catch his name)

"The Woman Eater" - Inspector Brownlow

"Village Of The Damned" - one of the fathers sitting in the pub

"It Conquered The World" - man on Bulldozer

"It Came From Outer Space" - Scientist/writer John Putnam

"The 7 Faces Of Doctor Loa" - Dr. Loa

"Charlie Chan At The Wax Museum - Criminologist Dr. Otto Von Braun, radio operator Edwards

"Jack The Ripper" (1959) - 2 toughs in bar smoking clay pipes, man in crowd smoking sideways cob, man working backstage at music hall

"Jekyll & Hyde" (TV movie) - Inspector Palmer  

"Mark Of The Vampire" - Sir Karell Borotyn and Baron Otto

"Son Of Dracula" - Doctor Brewster and Professor Lazlo

"The Wolf Man" (original) - Bela the Gypsy, Colonel Paul Montford the town police official, Dr. Lloyd the Talbot family physician, Frank Andrews the family gamekeeper, Charles Conliffe the antique shop owner, and a variety of extras at the gypsy camp and carnival

• Options
    Gosford Park, Chief Detective was smoking a pipe. Great movie,takes place in the 1930s about typical uptight British aristocracy and the people that serve them.Helen Mirren,Maggie Smith, Kelly Macdonald,Michael Gambon, and Stephen Fry as the bungling pipe smoking detective. A Robert Altman film.
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    Mister Blandings  builds his dream house, Holiday Inn, White Christmas, The Great Escape, It Happened one night,
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    left out Dunkirk to name a few
  • Options
    Agree with @Anthony Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House has pipe smoking throughout the entire movie... and it's funny too...
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    Yeah, Melvin Douglas, (Blandings lawyer and friend), always smoked a pipe in most movies I've seen him in. Also did some ads back in the 40s.....I saw a pretty good movie the other night with E.G. Robinson, and Orson Wells,.."The Stranger" where E.G.R. smoked a pipe through out.
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    Also "The Greatest Game Ever Played", lots of pipe smoking in that one
  • Options
    Been watching a few James Bond flicks and noticed 'M' was a pipe smoker.
  • Options
    Unwrapped a DVD sized package today to find a copy of John Wayne's Tall in the Saddle, and on the ad insert among the movies being flogged, found a picture of the DVD cover of Charles Bronson's St Ives film, pipe firmly in hand.

• Options
    The webcomic Girl Genius has several characters who smoke pipes. Girl Genius is written by Professors Phil & Kaja Foglio of TPU, with drawings by Prof. P. Foglio. Kind of a steampunk alternate Europe setting. I believe the story began posting in 2000.

There is a character in xxxHOLiC, an anime from Japan (and a 19-vol manga series before that), who smokes one of those kiseru (?) pipes in just about every episode. Two seasons plus specials, though I have yet to find season 2 on DVD. I have the impression there are even some live-action episodes in existence.

• Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin
         I have been trying to get some Koiki kizami tobacco for my kiseru for a few years now.  
    As a side note, the  kiseru was a pipe that my uncle brought back from Japan, he and my father (twins) both served together in the same US 8th Army unit during WWII.  
         I think that a limited amount of kizami may be brought back through customs.  My cousin married a Japanese and they go back to Japan quite often with their kids to see grandpa and grandma.  One of my nephews was there for a year studying.  I have not got either my nephew or my cousins family to bring some back yet☹️  Darn tough to get here in the USA because of all the rules....and that was before the new “deeming” rules.
  • Options
    @motie2
         Yea, I have thought about trying “regular cut” tobaccos.  I have been thinking about some Vincent Manil “La Brumeuse” pure Semois.  It is a very dry tobacco and I think it may have strong Vitamin N.  I have been reluctant to try it.  A small kiseru bowl might work well.
  • Options
    Tnx @motie2 ... I printed the list and will start investigating some of the movies I 've missed, or never heard of. ( -10 pts.)...
  • Options
    This is a Japanese Manga anthology series, with several authors represented. No, not a movie, not even video. Sorry, but probably not even about pipes, so far as I know, as I just ran across it a few minutes ago.

Cigarette Anthology
    https://mangakakalot.com/manga/cigarette_anthology
    "An anthology of an adult puffing at blue smoke quietly" Various well-known mangaka look into the theme of cigarettes and smoking.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Even George Baily is smoking a pipe in "It's A Wonderful Life". Curious to know if it was a wonderful smoke?