Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe refinishing

Comments

• Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    Amazing, Brother. I never dreamed it would come out that well.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 20
    @KA9FFJ
    The grain really pops!
    Nice👍🏻
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    2-tone staining brother...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Yes, I was aware of that🙂👍🏻
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 22
    In that little box of stummels there was another one similar to one I had already done.
    The main difference is that I had to cut half the shank off due to a crack! Consequently I made a shank extension for it.
    I was a little off on the drilling of the draft hole that left me almost 1/8" from the bottom of the bowl. I wasn't happy with myself, but I continued on anyway.
    After fitting the extension and drilling the mortise, I turned a stem to fit and fancied it up.
    Since I used a blue acrylic stem, I decided to use some navy blue.
    I hate to work with navy blue stain! It usually doesn't want to hold color, and when you wax it, it will either turn black or hold that gray excess waxy look. It's a real pain, at least for me.
    It should make another good knock-around pipe. Anyway, here's the final:

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 22
    And then there were 2... 🙂

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 26
    Just in case you were wondering, the answer is, no. I will not be bringing these pipes to the pipe show. I would never sell a pipe that I made. I am not a pipemaker, and I could not stand behind my work. 
    I just have fun bringing pipes that would otherwise waste away, into a life of usefulness...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ I love the color variations on the two pipes together,  you may have to make a 7 day set. 
  • Options
    @Zouave
    Probably wasn't a bad idea, but alas, those were the only two stummels in the little box with that design...
  • Options
    Pulled a small stummel out of the box. I hate it when they take a dremel and randomly gouge out the bowl. 
    You may see some preliminary penciled sketches around those gouges, but I wound up doing something different.
    Anyway, here's the stummel. 

• Options
    I then found an old used stem that I thought would look ok.
    As you can see, dirty, dingy, oxidation, teeth marks and chatter, but I figured I could clean it up...

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 23
    First things first. I turned the tenon for a good fit, then sanded the shank and stem to match:
    The shank was not cut square, so I had to square it up with the stem...

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 23
    Decided to make something from those gouges in the stummel. 
    Like it or not, here's the final:

• Options
    Here it is after getting the stem in good shape:

• Options
    You know how sometimes little, almost insignificant things just bother you?
    Well, that's what happened with this pipe stem. 
    Every time I would bring it out of its rack to smoke, I knew the ball shape was too big for the overall appearance of the pipe. Not much at all, but just enough to aggravate me.
    I told my wife and she said, " well then do something about it". She likes to tell me what to do, but this time I knew she was right.
    See how the ball of the stem is just too big for the pipe? Not much, but enough...

• Options
    So I straightened the stem back and slapped it on the lathe. 
    I slowly starting peeling down the ball until I was happy. Again, it didn't take much, but now it no longer bothers me...

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 12
    I received 4 pipes for work while at the STL Pipe Show. 
    The 1st one was a cork covered Tom Spano.
    I got to work on it and realized only after I completed it, I should have taken before pics.
    He had broken the stem and couldn't get the tenon out of the mortise. Basically he needed a new stem and wanted it cleaned up. 
    The broad rim was COVERED with charring, thick charring, and the rest of the briar was dingy and dirty.
    I sent him these pics and he is elated. Anyway, here's the final:

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 12
    Another pipe given for repair at the STL Show. This one also broken off tenon stuck in the mortise and need a new stem.
    After fitting a new stem, I gave the stummel a thorough cleaning (REALLY needed it).
    Waxed, buffed and polished.
    Here's the final:

• Options
    @KA9FFJ

I remember that style: holes drilled all around the rim. Do you know anything about this? What was the intent? Style/design? Cooling?

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 13
    @motie2
    Good question.
    The holes actually are drilled vertically all the way through the top 3 levels.
    The purpose was never made clear to me, but guessing it was simply a style or for aesthetics. 
    If a proposed function was given, I have to assume it didn't work or was, at best, insignificant, since that style only had a brief moment in history.
    Your our king of research, so if you find something more to add, I know I for one would welcome your findings...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    That Spano is beautiful. If you keep it up, you're going to get good at this Refurb work, Brother. I got to smoke my Spano more. He makes a great pipe.
  • Options

The DOODLER was originally designed by Tracy Mincer of Custom-Bilt fame as a very cool smoking pipe. It combined the thick rustic shape of the Custom-Bilt with some unusual features. The rim has a series of vertical holes drilled down the sides of the bowl and around the rim top there are one or more grooves.

~ King of Research

• Options
    @motie2
    Did you find any functionality reason for the drilled holes?
    Just curious...

• Options
    I think the drilling and radiator fins are supposed to help with cooling.  It seems to me that the thinner sides could possibly make it heat up more?
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 13
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ

While I can't pinpoint the exact purpose or origin of the holes, here are some possibilities and things to consider:

Possible Function:

• Diffusion Pipe: If the holes are small and evenly spaced, the pipe could be designed as a diffusion pipe. These pipes aim to provide a smoother smoking experience by mixing the smoke with air before inhalation, potentially reducing harshness and making it cooler.
    • Decorative: The holes could be purely decorative, adding a unique design element to the pipe.
    • Functional and Decorative: It's also possible the holes have both functional and decorative purposes