Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Great finds

Well I went to meet a buddy of mine today and ended up leaving with some wonderful finds.

Comments

• Options
    A little horse trading today and ended up with this. I really dont know how long he has had it in his cellar but it looks to have been there a while.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2017
    Well, I cannot match that, but I have something. I won an eBay auction for another Carey Magic Inch, but this one.... I have 6 Carey Magic Inch pipes. All of them have stems with three vents on the top and three vents on the bottom, allowing air to get at the papyrate-tube-covered Magic Inch. This pipe has one vent on the right and one vent on the left, and a slightly different hole configuration in the Magic Inch itself. There is also what appears to be a metal ring where the stummel meets the stem. I've not seen this arrangement in Carey's US or European catalogs, nor elsewhere online. Is it an early prototype, or a new version (but it's a estate pipe)????   Also, the pipe has a colorful lucite/perspex stem, unlike the rest of my Carey's, all of which have black Zytel nylon stems/bits.
    Only a few of y'all have Carey pipes (and you're missing out, by the way), but does anyone have any info on what this is?

Here's a diagram of the regular Magic Inch pipe:
    ..... and all these claims are true.

• Options
    @motie2 I'm glad to hear you won the auction. I've been pretty unlucky my last few times. Nice looking pipe. First Carey I've seen with the vent slots on the side. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Hey, me too. I have no idea. The lucite stem suggests that it's fairly recent, but, again, never saw a Carey configured this way.
  • Options
    @Corey562, is that briar inside of the Meerschaum?
  • Options
    @mfresa no it is all meerschaum.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2017
    XDutchx -- Sweeeeet briar. Should it trouble me that I have never paid more than $20.00 for a pipe, new or used?
    Of course, the original three I bought new are from back in the day when EA Carey sold his pipes for $15.00 each.
    The other five I got lucky at eBay auction. The lone "better" pipe, a Charatan Dublin (Zulu?), was a gift.

$65.00 for a pipe?
    Even for one as beautiful as the above?
    Inconceivable! ~ Vizzini, Princess Bride

Bless your soul -- No matter how much it cost, enjoy your pipe!!!!
  • Options
    @xDutchx, I have some serious pipe envy right now. I have 2 Charatans and they have quickly become 2 of my most favorite pipes! Awesome find!
  • Options

@motie2, This is one of those old pipes in great condition, that will be ideal for gifting after some restoration efforts.

@PhilosoPiper, Old Charatans and GBD's are my favorite pipes to restore. They are readily available, some are still in fantastic condition, and sometimes they can be had for a song. I like to place a lot of low ball bids, and most of the time someone outbids me. Every once in awhile I will get lucky, when no one else shows any interest.

• Options
    moti2
         I wonder if that Lucite Stem on the Carey is a replacement? 

As a side note, in case anyone wants to smoke a Carey Magic Inch as a "normal" pipe, I have taken a piece of electronics "Heat Shrink Tube" the good 3M Brand and use it in place of the Papyrate.  Once carefully shrunk down, the tube is thin enough to take the place of the Papyrate.  Be careful when shrinking it down so as not to soften the stem. The tube can be removed and you can use the Papyrate again, or go back to the tube cover whenever your heart desires.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar --

First: Heaven forfend!!!!  Why would you want to do that, unless you were fresh out of papyrates, and the way they're sold, that's not likely.

I have eight pipes.
    Six are Carey's.
    I wish the other two were.......

Second: it's easier to just leave off the papyrate tube and block the six slots with a single strip of electrician's tape wrapped around the stem.
  • Options
    motie2
         Ha, I knew that you would deride the use of this "hack"......You dyed in the wool E.A.Carey guy you :)
    I just thought I would put it out there, and black tape is so goshe  ;)
         I have (2) "Magic Inch" pipes left, I sold one on EBay a few months ago.  A Limited Edition Mariner, new in the box.
    It's been so long since I smoked either of the remaining two, I almost forgot what shape the first one is.  I still have the Limited Edition Horn, new in the box.
    Have you seen or tried the other Carey pipe with the "Air Metering Hole", the Duncan Hill Areosphere?  I have not smoked my Areosphere in quite awhile either.  Its seem like it would work the same as the "Magic Inch" without the use of the Papyrate.  I suppose the Papyrate would soak up some small amount moisture, where the Aresphere would not. It is not like Papyrate is expensive or hard to get anyway :)
          Another pipe with a similar design to the Areosphere is a Yello-Bole "Air-Control", it is however, adjustable.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2017
    @RockyMountainBriar -- I have two non-Carey pipes: a Duncan Hill AeroSphere from when they were first introduced, and a Charatan. 

The Carey's all smoke the same.... great!. The Duncan Hill is almost as good.
    I won't judge the Charatan, because I have not smoked it enough to consider it "broken in." But it's damn cool looking. 

But yes, I am a total Carey mark. ("Mark" is a slang term that describes a fan who believes that the characters and events of some or all of professional wrestling are real. The term can also be applied to a fan who idolizes a particular wrestler, promotion, or style of wrestling to a point some might consider excessive. Thus, a Carey mark idolizes Carey pipes to a point some might consider obsessive....) I found a tobacco blend I love and pipes that I enjoy smoking. I'm a "Mostly Happy Guy."
  • Options
    Wow,.I never saw or heard of these kinda of pipes. But @motie2, why would you cover the vents with tape?
  • Options
    @Londy3 -- I wouldn't; it would defeat the whole purpos eof smoking a Carey. The one circumstance I could see whould be your out of papyrates and you don't want to cover the slots with your fingers.

I was just responding to @RockyMountainBriar's shrink fit solution.

Meanwhile, Londy, check out http://www.eacarey.com/careyclassics.html
  • Options
    I watched a YouTube video in which a newbie was trying to smoke a Carey Magic Inch for the first time. Seems to me it was a recent estate purchase and he was doing a video on estate pipes. He was having considerable trouble smoking the pipe and claimed it had a flaw in the design (the vents) making it almost impossible to smoke unless you held your fingers over the vent holes. He was completely unaware that the pipe took a filter and was smoking without one, making it virtually impossible to draw. I found myself shouting at the TV ... "You need to put a filter in it." I checked the date of the video and noticed it was several years old, so I'm sure a Carey owner set him straight.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- I've seen that one. Ya know, it's not obvious. I can see that happening to someone who bids on the pipe because he thought it looked nice or something. Papyrate filter? Say what? 
  • Options
    At a recent estate sale I found 38 pipes for $35.00! After I got home, I went through the cardboard box full of pipes and found numerous famous named pipes in good shape. But the "treasure" was a Peterson Emerald! I recondition pipes as a hobby, but this pipe required very little work. The same can be said for about 15 of the pipes. I was able to bring all the pipes "back to life" except for 3. Not bad for $35.00...  
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    edited September 2017
    @KA9FFJ, post some pictures?
  • Options
    @KA0FFJ -- Congrats on a real find; a maybe once in a lifetime bonanza......
  • Options
    I have used a double turn of a strip of paper towel if something happens to the papyrate filter. It works.
  • Options
    @Woodsman -- Really. The thought never occurred to me.... Thanks for the tip, for in a pinch.

Like using Saran wrap, back in the day. <nudge, nudge, wink, wink>
  • Options
  • Options
    How old are you?
  • Options
    As requested, here is a pic of the pipes I acquired at an estate sale before I started working on them. Notice the Peterson Emerald at the top left corner... Some of these pipes turned out to be real beauties after I cleaned, sterilized, sanded and/or restained and buffed to a polish. Some of these pipes can be seen in a rack I recently made and displayed under "Pipe Storage" on this site...   
  • Options
    I worked as a Drug Store delivery boy, never needed the Saran Wrap.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ Nice work in finding those estate pipes! That's a fantastic deal.