Home General

Do You Save Your Seasonal Holiday Blends - Or Smoke Them All Year Long?

2»

Comments

• In some respects it's doesn't make sense to buy four to 8 ounces of a Christmas blend and only smoke it during the season if you also have a few other Christmas blends as well in your cellar. Don't know about anyone else but I tend to smoke two or possibly three bowls tops each day. And considering the small amount of tobacco used in each bowl it can take quite a bit of time to finish off 8 ounces of pipe tobacco. So if you're saving it for the Christmas season only you probably won't finish that 8 ounces for 10 years. Especially if you have a few other holiday blends in your rotation. And if your holiday blends are aromatics - then from what I've been led to believe - aromatics don't age well. So at some point in time the tobacco isn't going to taste as well as you remember.   

• @ghostsofpompeii -- Ghost, you have a sharp mind. You figured out, in some detail, above, what wasn't even on my radar.
    I'm a generalist, in general, and have become a researcher by nature beginning when they invented the internet and search engines.... Hey, anybody remember an aggregator called dogpile.com? It's still freakin' there
    Ghost, you cut right to the heart of the matter; I would be attracted by shiny objects I came across while researching current smoking trends vis-a-vis Christmas blends.
    My hat's off to you, sir!

• @motie2 I'm not so sure about that sharp mind suggestion. A sharp mind might have figured that out well before spending the money. Learning from one's mistakes doesn't take a sharp mind ... it's being surrounded by the bleeding obvious and an empty wallet.  
  • I have a different tradition in that I bring out my corn cobs right about now. From now through New year's most of my briars get a long winters nap while I smoke the corn cob pipe of frostys signature tune! I have two kids, both big fans of santa Claus so I try to have a holiday pipe tradition (I cellered all of my Christmas blends from mclelland and don't plan to open them for many years) I also smoke my savinelli St. Nicholas a bit more since last year both kids were convinced I have the same pipe as santa does.
  • I save them.  I am also a fan of Russ' Candy Cane Cocoa and McClelland Holiday Spirit. I just doesn't seem right to smoke a Christmas blend in July "Hey buddy, what ya smokin'?"  "Candy Cane Cocoa"