Home Tobacco Talk
Options

OTC, Codger or Gas station blends

While many equate OTC (over the counter) with Codger blends, I believe there is a difference. To me, OTCs are blends that you can buy at some drugstores or local retailers today and include the likes of Capt. Black, Prince Albert, Borkum Riff, among others.

Then you have the old Codger blends which may also include the OTCs but are also blends that have been around for more than 40-50 years and are still available from on-line retailers. I'm thinking tobacco like Carter Hall, Amphora, Paladin, and Velvet (as well as the OTCs I mentioned). The connection between the two are all of them have been sold over-the-counter at one time. 

Then you have the cheap gas station "pipe" tobacco which in many cases are just Roll Your Own cigarette tobacco masquerading as pipe tobacco to beat the taxes. You can usually find these in small gas stations or tobacco/beer stores. I know a couple of cigarette smokers who buy the 1 lb. bag and either roll their own or actually smoke it in a pipe and inhale. 

How do you categorize these tobaccos?

Comments

• Options
    @PappyJoe

I totally agree with your analysis. I honestly never got into "pigeonholing" tobacco this way, but it is what everyone else does so I suppose we must follow convention. I, like everyone else just like what I like.

Even putting certain tobaccos in certain categories, I do not personally shy away from those labeled as OTC's or "Codgers Blends". Some of these blends as we know have been around for a long, long time. And there is a reason for that.....some of them are excellent smokes. Just last evening I ordered tubs of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and Half and Half. These tubs will sit on a shelf in my office that already include Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Lane Ready Rubbed. They are nostalgic and I love to smoke them all on occasion. I also ordered some Amphora Full Aroma which is back. Next will be some velvet and Granger for my cellar / collection.

I just love me some older blends. They make this old sailor happy.

• Options
    I enjoy a great many of the old codger blends you mentioned and have two cans of Velvet in my closet that are at least 15 to 20 years old. I pull out the Velvet, Carter Hall, Half And Half and MATCH versions of Lane Ready Rubbed and John Rolfe Peach Brandy from time to time when I'm not looking for something overly sweet. As for those large one pound bags of gas station tobacco like Jester, Gambler, Farmer's Gold, 4 Aces, Largo, Smoker's Pride, or Kentucky Select - well before discovering the world of the pipe smoking enthusiast, the YouTube Pipe Community, and places like P&C and Thompson Tobacco I occasionally smoked them on odd the occasion when I couldn't find a pouch of Captain Black or Borkum Riff. And for the most part found them very unsatisfying. And usually only smoked them till I eventually found a merchant carrying my Captain Black Gold, Regular or Royal. Then that large bag of tobacco sat in my closet until it turned brittle and I'd toss it away. Didn't know about re-hydrating back then. I avoid the gas station blends like the plague - but will still pick up a pouch of the old codger blends you mentioned when I see them.
  • Options
    It's the RYO's that caused the Tobacco Companies to have their Lobbyists pay off the politicians to clamp down on us because they masquerade as Pipe Tobacco. Always follow the money.

Grumpy Old Guy.
  • Options
    @Woodsman, you are hereby awarded
    founding member membership in the 

I'm a member, too!
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    I tend to shy away from labels whether in politics or in tobaccos, my thoughts being that labels tend to create a pre-determined view of things, pipe tobaccos and those that smoke them, being no different. That said, my Grandfather was a retired general contractor, being retired when I came along. He was a pipe and cigar smoker, his choice of cigars, Dutch Masters. His choice of pipe tobaccos, and the general choice of his pipe smoking buddies, Half & Half, Prince Albert, and as a special treat, Sir Walter Raleigh. Perhaps I have reached codger status, although I favor being more thought of as a pipe smoking curmudgeon. 
  • Options
    Guys

I have been stocking up on "OTC" blends, both for my cellar and my daily use when the mood hits me. I have full tins (unopened) of Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Lane Ready Rubbed, Half and Half, and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. Next I am going to order tins of Granger and Velvet. The tins sit on a shelf in my office as sort of a decoration whereas my jarred blends and small tins live in a dark conditioned closet in my office. Of course my pipes are always on display for no other reason than to make me happy.
  • Options
    Carter Hall is my choice of OTC's.
  • Options
    I just finished going through a lot of the "codger burleys" - Sir Walter, Velvet, Carter Hall,Half and Half,Prince Al,and Kentucky Club Mild. This was prompted by getting a pack of the latter in my secret Santa, after having mentioned in an earlier discussion it had been my fave.
    I had never had H&H or Velvet. I'd gladly smoke H&H again. Of the others,Prince Al is probably my favorite.
    As it is, I smoke a fair amount of Lane Readty Rubbed.
  • Options
    Carter Hall for me, also been enjoying LL Ready Rubbed.
  • Options
    I enjoy Carter Hall and Prince Albert. One day I'll try Half and Half. When I was a grocery stocker, I'd load up huge bags of dog food at the front of the store next to the tobacco cabinet. I'd see the cans of Carter Hall and wondered what they were like. Told myself I'd try that blend if I took up pipe smoking. Now it's the blend I use to break in a new pipe.

Fun fact, the DC Comics character Hawkman's name is Carter Hall, and I think I remember reading that he was named after the pipe tobacco.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    Carter Hall pipe tobacco is named after a building, but some folks think of it as the name of a man. Yes, millennia ago, Prince Khufu was murdered, but was reincarnated in 1940 in the body of archaeologist Carter Hall, according to the original origin story [sic]. Khufu as Carter Hall becomes Hawkman thanks to the Nth metal.

That the name Carter Hall is from the pipe tobacco is a widely shared legend/theory amongst Hawkman fans, but there are very few hits when searching for <<Hawkman Carter Hall pipe tobacco>>. Oh, Google returns many hits, but none mention a connection between Hawkman and pipe tobacco. So: neither confirmed nor denied. 
  • Options
    Interesting info @motie2 . The main reason I think that it might be true is that Hawkman smokes a pipe during his time in DC's Golden Age. Granted, other heroes also smoked pipes, like Bruce Wayne, Steve Trevor, and Captain America, but they don't share the name of a pipe tobacco. I could be wrong, but it's an interesting link.
  • Options
    I have some Captain Black cherry and I like it pretty good when in the mood for a desert smoke. I think it's better than Cult blood red moon if I'm looking at cherry.  In my opinion, the OTC blend is better and cheaper. 
  • Options
    OTC Pipe Tobacco Review: Amphora "Full Aroma"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BURMltty55o

• Options
    I actually really like Amphora Full Aroma. It's got an interesting spicy aspect to it. Can't say I liked Prince Albert. I tried it. I really wanted to like it since it has such a long and storied history (and back in my archaeology days I would find tins of it way out in the BFE in Nevada or Wyoming and such). But I just didn't enjoy it. I'm hanging onto it for after the apocalypse. I figure I can trade it for food or a gun or something then.
  • Options
    @motie2

Finally off today and had the opportunity to try the Amphora Full Aroma. It has probably been over 40 years ago that I smoked it last. I was amazed at how I immediately recognized the "pouch" note. I am aware that the sense of smell is one of the strongest senses, but that still gave me a chilling sense of deja vu. The tobacco cut is longer than those that I typically smoke and as such was slightly more difficult to load into the pipe without "irish pennants" sticking up. I smoked this in a filtered briar pipe that always performs well for me. Sitting in the sun enjoying a beautiful day overall the smoke was OK, but didn't have the wow factor that I look for (I am hard to please), The first half of the bowl was a little "bitey (and I am a slow smoker) and the taste was recognizable to me from years ago, nothing to shout about however. The second half calmed down quite a bit with the "bitey" issue almost disappearing. The second half also tasted very good. It had a tobacco flavor underwhelmed by the liquor casing, which I could not identify accurately. The entire experience lasted about 1 hour to which I am not regretful at all. If I had to pick out a similar taste and "porch" note I would compare it to Borkum Riff. So I have yet several more ounces of yet another blend in my collection, which even if I don't smoke it often at least makes me happy to see my cellar grow. Since I am 3/4 Irish and 1/4 German, I think the German in me likes the neatly stacked and labeled Mason Jars standing at attention waiting to do battle with fire.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Thank you for your review. I appreciate your taking the time to post it.
  • Options
    No problem Motie......I again thank you profusely for turning me on to Vanilla Custard......I now have about 6 pounds stored.....you know, just in case.
  • Options
    @Pwkarch 6 pounds of Vanilla Custard ... now you're starting to sound like me. I think we'll both be set up for the upcoming Zombie Tobacco Apocalypse.
  • Options
    Been a while since I've had a pouch of Amphora. I remember smoking it many years ago, then it just seemed to disappear from the shelves along with a lot of other old favorites. Just seems like it re-appeared in my P&C catalog a few issues ago. Have to return to it again one day. Don't remember them having as many varieties.
  • Options
    i am bereft. I admired Vanilla Custard (another blend I was led to by Ghost): the blend that goes well with everything. Now, two days ago, I emptied a bowl half way through. What's happening? 
  • Options

@motie2 You're not thinking about me when smoking are you? That might be enough to put anyone off.

All I know is I sure hope I don't develop an aversion to the man aromatic blends I've stockpiled or I'm in real trouble.

• Options
    Amphora Full Aroma didn't work for me, but I do like Amphora Original.
  • Options
    Ghost: two words.....

Barbados Plantation
  • Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    I've recently been on a purchasing binge to find the best "gas station tobacco", you know, the kind of tobacco you can find anywhere, anytime.  Should I ever run out in my travels, I wanted to know for my personal tastes, what the best easily procured tobacco could be.  Availability and taste were the only criteria I considered, and there is my categorization; either it's a specific tobacco in which you can only get it from select places like an actual tobacconist or website, and then there are those tobaccos which are mass marketed and you can get them anywhere.  Personally, I have found that I rather like Prince Albert for a good all around, anytime, all day smoke.  Sir Walter Raleigh, I prefer their aromatic to the regular.  I have found some of these kinds of tobacco to be extraordinarily cheap; the taste and smoke reflected as much. But I'll say I haven't been terribly disappointing in the staples we know such as Paladin, Velvet, Prince Albert, Raleigh, etc...  I have tried some of Missouri Meerschaum's tobaccos and I like all but two of them.  I was very pleased withe them as a whole, but they lost points (in my "research") only because I've never found them available in person at a store. However, if you haven't tried them and are looking for a good all around smoke at a good price, I highly recommend them.
  • Options
    @DerekJ - There is a reason why tobacco such as Prince Albert, Half & Half, Sir Walter Raleigh and Carter Hall have been around for about a 100 years. If they were really as bad as some would have you to be, they wouldn't still be selling enough to stay in production.
  • Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    @PappyJoe
    Exactly, I think the people who would have you believe they're actually bad and somehow inferior, either haven't tried them or are a little snobbish.  I've met a guy who said he'd only buy "freshly blended tobacco" from his local shop, at the same time he insinuated that tin tobaccos aren't as good as ones being "freshly blended".  A poncy character who prided himself on not being "mainstream", but it came off as more he didn't like things that were popular because, and I kid you not he said "I don't like things that too many people already like."  It's like saying the only place to get good coffee is Starbucks, there are plenty of other places that make a good cup of coffee.  Then again it is all about taste, there are some of these types of tobaccos I don't care for such as some Captain Black flavors, but that's just me, people shouldn't automatically disregard them simply because they're sold outside of a tobacconist shop.  .   
  • Options
    Carter Hall and Granger are good drugstore brands that I enjoy.
  • Options
    Seems most folks on TPL who have tried Carter Hall, like it, either by itself or as a blender.
    I'd call your attention also to Bradley's review of Carter Hall on YouTube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSY2yl_5boo
  • Options
    I know this blend has already been mentioned favorably as an OTC blend, but my cellar is never without Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. To me, it's a great OTC blend...