Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Lighting your pipe and are high-end lighters really worth it?

Comments

• Options
    Guys
    ANY naphtha odor from a Zippo for the most part disperses in the air above the pipe. The minimal amount of the naphtha odor that makes its' way into the bowl goes away almost immediately (just my observation). My cigars are usually lit the same way although I do occasionally light them with a 3 burner butane "torch" style lighter. And I have certainly smoked a ton of pipe tobacco AND cigars in my years. There is no way I am going to pay a gazzilion dollars to buy some fancy new lighter, I have about 4 Zippos that have been with me longer than I will admit.
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    I guess I am confused, or stupid,///However, what is wrong with a wooden match?  I take my time,,, love to look at the flame as it starts, haven’t burned any clothing yet 
  • Options
    Day in and day out, I’ve been sticking with the Zippo fitted with the pipe lighter insert. They’re inexpensive and durable...important if you use and lose things as I seem to. Honestly, I just don’t pick up on the initial “fuel taste” that lots of folks complain of and, spending quite a bit of time outdoors, I appreciate the wind-resistance. Truth to tell, if I’m indoors, the lingering sulphur from a match bugs me immensely when I want the room to smell of only the tobacco.

Y’all probably know this, and it may have been mentioned already, but if you have a Zippo sans pipe insert, they’ll put one in for you at no charge.
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby
    Nothing wrong with a kitchen match, so long as you let the head burn off.
    But if you're going to use a match, why not go for the gusto and use hemp wicking?

PLAIN https://twistedbee.com/
    FANCY http://www.hemplights.com/products.htm
  • Options
    Part of the Naphtha "odor" issue with a Zippo is pretty much the same as using a match. Much like allowing the "sulphur" odor of a match to burn off before using, the same technique can be applied to a Zippo. If I still understand my chemistry, the fuel odor from a zippo is due to "incomplete combustion" and even a second or two will diminish a great majority of the naphtha odor from the lighter chimney. At least that is my opinion. The argument can however be made that once the sulfur "flame head" is burned off the wood on the match stick is the only thing on fire whereas the use of a Zippo continues to draw fluid from the wadding in the resovoir.

I might just wait for a thunderstorm and figure out how to light my pipes using lightning.
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    Thanks Motie2,,,,,I think that hemp stuff is just more ‘stuff’.  I carry a supply of ‘strike anywhere’ wood matches in the same little chrome cylinder hooked on my belt, like when I started in Scouting,,, oh, so many years ago..  Don’t have to buy fluid,or gas, worry about “where is my igniter”....all that.  Of course, I still can’t fly with the thing, but small price to pay,,, and speaking of price,  $2 worth of matches lasts about 3 or 4 months,.
  • Options
    Zippo baby. I like to keep things clean and simple.  
  • Options
    BentonBenton Newcomer
    edited April 2018
    I’m a fan of my Zippo with the pipe insert. 
    I get no naphtha odor or taste with it. I used to get that with a traditional Zippo when smoking cigarettes years ago. 
     The insert works by having you draw the flame down while the combustion byproducts And fumes go upward. 

I think matches are the way to go when possible, but the Zippo is the only practical way when driving. 
  • Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    Hi
    The Corona Old Boy lighters are very nice. Keep them clean and primed and they light every time.One can find them on eBay for less than 100. I have had mine for five years and am careful not to misplace it. Are there less expensive alternatives? Yes but the Corona quality is not easily denied . You do get what you pay for.
  • Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    Note: Kiribi and Peterson old boy styled lighters are two others that have good reviews and are generally less expensive than the corona.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever used one of those plasma lighters?  
  • Options
    They're not for pipes.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    Thanks. Got a Coast Guard lighter already. 
  • Options
    I alternate between my Zippo and stick matches.  Have been using them for years and for years neither has disappointed.
  • Options
    Here is one of my Navy lighters, after YEARS of service, still lighting the way for my cigars and pipes. As John Cameron Swayze used to say "it is STILL ticking" (or in this case maybe it is still clicking). I have a second similar zippo in my truck, he too has served me honorably. (I might just be one of a very few who have been around long enough to remember John Cameron Swayze?)
  • Options
    @pwkarch, I too remember him.
  • Options
    I’ve just discovered Djeep lighters. I find they are as consistent as a Bic but hold more fuel and (more importantly) keep your thumb further away from the flame while lighting. Supposedly, Brian Levine from the Pipes Magazine Radio Show is also a big fan. 

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2018
    Again: The Linse pipe lighter -- a cheap BIC style disposable for pipes...... available on eBay.

• Options
    @pwkarch
    Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
  • Options
    @motie2, I just ordered 2 Linse lighters for $1.99 a piece.
  • Options
    @pipeman83
    They're much cheaper in quantity.
  • Options
    @motie2, yes, I will see how I like them and then I’ll get more.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    edited August 2018

I added a Castello/S T Dupont  pipe/lighter set to the colletion that included this Dupont L1 lighter. I love lighters and sometimes you just have to pay the price!
  • Options
    My favorite pipe lighter, back in the day, was the Beattie Jet Lighter, which used lighter fluid.

• Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited August 2018

My two cents.

I grew up watching my grandfather smoke his pipe with book matches and the occasional strike anywhere. In my opinion matches are fine where there no wind but aren’t the most convenient, I still use them when the mood strikes me however I use either larger cigar type stick matches or strike anywhere.

Lighter fluid (Naphtha) lighters are a nonstarter for me as I can taste the naphtha through most of the bowl

In my opinion Butane pipe lighters are the way to go however like almost everything they have a fixed lifespan whether they are flint or piezo electric. 

I am not wealthy so it comes down to practicality. It’s the balance between cost and durability and function. I don't know about you guys but I have lost so many Czech tools over the years that I tie paracord fobs on them so they don't get lost when I remove my keys from my pocket and I'm not about to put them on a fly-fishing zinger and wear it on my lapel. 

So for me any lighter has to have the pipe tools integrated, additionally a fuel window is a huge plus. The butane version of a zippo lighter is ok, but beside having no tools, the way you have to hold them leaves you open to burning your fingers in the lightest breeze.

All that said, I have two lighters that are my go to depending on the situation.

My first is what I call my every day or work lighter, it has tools and is reasonably durable.

I do not know who makes them and there are a number of companies that sell them branded with their own name. If you know how to look you can get them for $12. In this example they are branded Mr. Brog https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Brog-Leather-Tobacco-Lighter/dp/B00NB3Q61K/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1535067778&sr=8-8&keywords=mr+brog+pipe+lighter

The only down side to this lighter is it has no fuel window and does not hold a lot of butane. It does however, have enough for a day or so unless you constantly have a pipe lit

Now my favorite lighter is the Prometheus Sherlock II pipe lighter.

It is both beautiful and absolute pleasure to use, it has a tool though not the most convenient, it has a fuel window, and comes in 6 finishes. You really can't appreciate it till you try one. The one downside it the cost,

Depending on how good a shopper you are, they range from $50 to 70. But most importantly, none of the lighters Prometheus produces are throwaway; they have a decent warranty and you can get them repaired for a nominal fee.

https://www.prometheuskkp.com/products/lighters/piezo/sherlock2.htm

The first picture is a Colibri Firebird I bought in 76, it is flint and butane and still works but I have torn it down and repaired it twice. Don't use it much anymore, hell it almost an antique.

Second picture is my Prometheus

• Options
    I just use old kitchen matches,,, I get the ones that are ‘strike anywhere’.
  • Options
    My preference is a match but I mostly use my Zippo with a pipe insert or a bic. I think I will order a handful of the Linses that @motie2 recommends. Also available on Amazon. Although I think the pricing is the same as eBay as it appears as if they are sold on both platforms by E A Carey. 

Side note ~ If you ever need something small from EA Carey (i.e. pipe cleaners, papyrate sleeves, stem bits, Linse lighter, etc) but don't want to pay the high shipping cost, search for it on eBay or amazon. The item price may be a dollar higher than on the Carey website, but it includes shipping. It saves a few bucks and it's still sold and shipped by Carey.
  • Options
    Two old fashioned ways to light your pipe, without having to wait for the sulferous end to burn off a wooden match; much cooler, too....

Cedar spills -- https://www.amazon.com/Spills-Lighter-Strips-Traditional-Cigars/dp/B06XTWNWYW/?th=1

Hemp wicking with beeswax -- https://www.amazon.com/Smoking-Hemp-Wick-Organic-Beeswax/dp/B07694LDGG/
  • Options
    @motie2 — I agree that the best true pipe lighter for the buck is a Linse. The Djeep lighters work great too if you want more fuel. I plan on keeping one of mine in my pipe travel pouch. 

As as far as cool factor... I love my Zippo with the butane Vector Thunderbird pipe insert. I also have the Z-plus pipe insert but don’t care for it as much. You have to keep your finger on the lighter button and it gets too hot. The Vector is just like a true Zippo with the striker wheel and flint. They’re typically around $13 on Amazon.