Home General
Options

The State of B&M Tobacconists in the US.

2»

Comments

• Options
    No Philip, Not Fine.

Motie, although I greatly enjoy the dialogue here on this site, and appreciate the vast majority of your posts....  I absolutely disagree with your commentary directed towards Philip.

Philip was spot on!  I didn't see anything that could be generalized as name calling.  No mention of Left-Wing-Loons or Libtards,  or any of the multitude of disparaging commentary coming from the uber-lefts or uber-rights nowadays.

We are all experiencing the "Boiling Frog" scenario here and have become oblivious to the despotic over reach of not only our elected representatives, but their bureaucratic appointees as well.

I for one refuse to stomach any more PC BS!  The shouting down by folks, that demand my tolerance of their beliefs yet go ape-sh!t when exposed to a conflicting point of view, has got to end.

More to the point.  Stating a fact, regardless of the entity or person being pointed out, is not in and of itself a political one.  That's more of the crap dished out by the previous administration and their ilk over the last 8 years.  All the "Dangerous Talk, Wrong Thinking, Language Matters, Words Matter" crap has got to end. 

This is our virtual Pipe Lounge if you will.  Not unlike when I go to the lounge at the local B&M or on the veranda of the club after a round, I do not expect to be castigated by others there for simply stating a fact or concern.

I'm not talking about rude or boorish behavior or profane dialogue, I'm talking about what appears hear to be yet another example of someone being shouted down because what they're saying is incongruous to a listeners self imposed paradigm.

In closing I'll simply state it this way, on the rare occasion that I do watch the news and see things such as students marching in Berkely AGAINST the 1st amendment?  I give thanks to God that I DO NOT live there.  Incredulity does not begin to describe the frame of my mind as it relates to such ludicrous situations as these.

Finally Motie, although I disagree with you on this particular matter, it in no way impacts the respect I have for you or the other members of this forum.

If my comments are deemed as political by the admins/mods of this site, and I'm expected to kowtow to the insidious group-think-de-jour and use approved language found not to conflict with butter-cup-safe-spacers, then I will gladly bid you all adieu.

Respectfully

Dino
    Christian, Husband, Father, American, Veteran & Free Man.
  • Options
    mezzoduomomezzoduomo Apprentice
    Better educated folks (coincidentally, mostly higher income folks) have largely quit smoking cigarettes over the last 50 years. This is due to the extensive, compelling health research, and subsequent public education and....to a far lesser extent....federal regulations. Overall, a good result for everyone concerned. But the key distinction here is the LACK of the research to indict pipes and cigars in the same way cigarettes were indicted. This is why the deeming regs are ill-considered and unnecessary. That's why its an over-reach. Forgive me if I'm just stating the obvious.

Big Government's end-state might just be a situation where most things are either illegal or mandatory. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Bonanzadriver -- Wow, name calling and derogatory comments must have acquired alternative meanings these days.

"Iron fist of government .... special interest wack-jobs .... Nanny-State mentality ... so that they can put another medal on their chest," now pass muster as signifiers of gentlemanly political discourse.

As to <<I'm talking about what appears hear [sic] to be yet another example of someone being shouted down because what they're saying is incongruous to a listeners [sic] self imposed paradigm.>> 

I shouted no one down, but in that I am but a comic monkey, I apologize for thinking impure thoughts about other peoples' paradigms. 
    I stand corrected. 
    Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.
    Comic Monkey
    Personally, I think we all take ourselves just a little bit too seriously......
  • Options
    Prohibition of alcohol in the early 1920s did not work. Prohibition gave rise to organized crime organizations and wound up costing the government a considerable amount of money in enforcement efforts. It also had a negative impact on health because people turned to booze which was distilled in unregulated and unsafe manners. On top of that, there was the loss in tax revenue because you can't tax what can't be sold.

Also, look at the current anti-drug laws and how much money the government is spending on law enforcement. If they made tobacco illegal, the cost of enforcement would sky-rocket and the amount of tax revenue would nose-dive. Some may argue that the loss of revenue would be negated by the decrease in health care cost, but remember this, the revenue loss would be immediate, the decrease in health care cost would be up to 40 or 50 years away until all current smokers died.

For those reasons alone, the "leaders" of our government will not outlaw tobacco. Hell, they are trying to legalize marijuana as it is to increase taxes.

Then there is the problems of smuggling tobacco products into the country. You think drug smuggling is bad now? Just wait. The Commandant of the Coast Guard recently admitted that just last year they knew of 500 drug smuggling events which the Coast Guard didn't have the resources to prevent.  Does anyone really think law enforcement could handle the smuggling increases of tobacco products?
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    From my POV here in Houston. My B&M of choice The Briar Shoppe, is doing quite well as far as I can tell. There is a fairly large group of young (20s-30s) pipe-smokers who can be found in the shop on any given day. There is quite a sizable group of cigar smokers who also spend a fair amount of time in the shop. And the door seems to be in a constant state of revolution from people coming and going purchasing, cigarettes, cigars, cigarrette tobacco, pipe tobacco, snuff, etc.

Then again, this is Texas and we tend to brush off the effects of things that impact the country as a whole. The last recession for instance wasn't felt nearly as bad in Texas as everywhere else. 
  • Options
    Nice reductio ad absurdum motie.

disappointing actually
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer

@bonanzadriver, well said.  As much as I wanted to, I didn't take the bait that was laid out so I thank you for rebuttal.

At any rate, the water in the pot is beginning to heat up.  Broad overstepping of governmental (control) functions takes many forms. I'm feeling it where I live that's for sure.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I am often disappointing. <slow, sad shake of the head> 
    But ye of a different paradigm are as well:  I apologized and you sneered in return. 
    But at least you acknowledged my "reductio ad absurdum" as nice.

Let it go. Please. I have high blood pressure.
  • Options
    Let us not forget the RYO's that both the major tobacco companies AND the government lost a lot of bucks because the RYO tobacco masqueraded as pipe tobacco.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I love my local B&M. However, I normally only purchase cigars that I smoke while enjoying their lounge. All my other cigars and pipe tobacco, I order on-line. I enjoy hanging out at the B&M. Great group of friends. A new B&M recently opened in the town I live in. I have been there once, but enjoy my normal hang-out spot better. We also had a Tinder Box, but it recently closed. I heard it was because the mall where it was located is attempting to go smoke free and they doubled the rent them.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    Side note - my two favorite topics are religion and politics. I have personally come to the conclusion that those who do not want me talking about religion and politics, do so because they really only want their views discussed. I enjoy a gentleman's conversation even with people who disagree with me.
  • Options
    All the Malls in my stare are smoke Free.
  • Options
    @hiker007 - The key words are "gentleman's conversation." Some people are incapable of that when talking about religion, politics or sports.

I visited Bayou Tobacco in Baton Rouge this past Saturday and it seems to be doing just fine. Sarah had just finished pricing a shipment of new tins and there were 4 men sitting in there smoking cigars. In fact, Sarah had to put her cigar down to look for an estate pipe she wanted to show me (she couldn't find it.)
    I bought a tin of C&D Ephiphany, a tin of Mac Baren Cherry Ambrosia, 3 Linse pipe lighters and a new MM Diplomat. I could have bought them all for a little less on-line but I like to support B&M's - especially ones where you can sit and smoke.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Hiker007 -- You write: <<I enjoy a gentleman's conversation even with people who disagree with me.>>

And that's what's missing in our religious and political discourse in this country. We've reached the point where those with opposing viewpoints are perceived as morally and intellectually deficient. A discussion between opposing POV's conducted with respect, dignity, and decorum is fine, but when one side claims exclusive possession of truth, things generally go straight to hell.

Here's something for us all to think about: it's all about perspective....

Matter of perspective
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2021
    Here's a useful tool, provided by our friends at PipesMagazine.com
    419 listings
    http://pipesmagazine.com/pipe-store-locator/

No longer functioning….☹️
  • Options
    A smoking lounge in a tobacconist's shop is impossible here in Maine, as the anti-smoking laws from several years back banned smoking in all places of business.
  • Options
    New discovery in northern NJ

R D's Smoker's Delight 

1053 Stuyvesant Ave, Union, NJ 07083
    (908) 810-7352

I received this communication from them:
    <<
    We carry assorted pipe tobaccos including aromatic and English blends.
     Also a selection of pipes including brands like Peterson, Stanwell etc.
     Pipe tools, pipe cleaners and lighters, leather cases etc. are also in stock.
    >>
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2021
    Visit an historic B&M pipe and tobacco shop in NYC?
    https://youtu.be/QSF-o76WBxw
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    As a Birthday Gift from the site I received two coupons for $5.00 off my purchase of any Captain Black blend. You'd figure Captain Black is one of the more popular aromatic over-the-counter aromatic blends - and easy to find a shop to redeem my coupons. But in my area you'd be wrong. Once Tinder Box closed their doors at our local Mall the only other tobacco shops in Northwest Indiana seem to be those strip mall Smoke Shops that carry basically cigarettes and cheaper quality cigars - and as for pipe tobacco they have a small rack with either 8 or 12 oz. bags of value tobacco like Smoker's Pride, Admiral's Choice, Cherokee, Gambler, 4 Aces, Largo, Virginia Gold, OHM, or Jester. I can't even find traditional codger blends like Prince Albert, Half & Half, Borkum Riff, or Velvet. Luckily I located a shop that did have Captain Black ... but only the regular blend, cherry, and Royal. So I snapped up a few pouches of Royal. Those of you lucky enough to have a true Tobacco Shop nearby are fortunate ... and even though their prices may be more than certain on-line sources ... dropping a few bucks in their direction would be a nice gesture.
  • Options
    I make it a point to visit the two, yes you heard that right, two B&M tobacco shops in Billings…..well, there are more of the “Smoker Friendly” and those types of shops/head shops here as well, but two true tobacconists that have walk in humidors and at least a few pipes and pipe tobaccos.  I try to buy something every time I visit, but the selection is limited.  Not as limited as some of you guys have to deal with though it seems.
  • Options
    Affirm it or deny it, pipe smoking makes us outliers.
  • Options
    California needs to finally drift away. Horrible policies/laws.