Home General
Options

At the risk of sounding sexist

Alright.  I'm gonna preface this post by stating that I know there are a decent number of women who love the briar.  However, I know I'm not the only one who has noticed that this is a predominantly male pastime.  And you know what?  I'm glad for that.  Listen, I grew up a simply Okie farm boy in a conservative Christian household.  That being said, maybe my views are just too antiquated for today's society, but I think we do need a bit of a separation of the sexes.  Men need our things and women need their's.  I'm not saying that women should stay barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, and I'm certainly not saying women shouldn't smoke a pipe.  Hell, my wife enjoys one every once in a while with me too.  All I'm saying is, its nice that the time honored tradition of a man enjoying tobacco from his pipe is still being practiced today without being smothered by political correctness BS.

Maybe its just the fact that I'm two Jameson's in tonight that I felt I needed to post this rambling.  I'm certainly not here to offend anyone.  If this does offend anyone or breaks any of the forums rules, then by all means, please remove it.

Comments

• Options

This one wouldn't have to worry about her glass going empty in my smoking room. I mean the brotherhood is great and all, but that only goes so far. If it came down to it, I'll admit that I would defect as quickly as a Russian ballet dancer.....

• Options
    Maybe you should go back and look at some of the historical pipe smoking pictures from before World War II, I've seen quite a few pictures of women sitting on the front porch of their farm house smoking pipes. There have also been pictures of women who lived in the mountain areas sitting and smoking their pipes.  I think it was a lot more common before World War II than it is today.

• Options
    It wasn't just women on farms or in the mountains either. 

592940753da501667d8d7ccc9ecb5339
    Founders of a 'Women's Pipe Smokers Club', 15 April 1926
    tumblr_mk93j0OFp91qc9fqao1_500
  • Options
    Those are some awesome pictures Pappy.  I know there are many women who have, and do now, smoke a pipe.  It just seems that it is a predominantly male hobby/pastime. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options

I feel I need to expound upon the original post and be a bit more clear in what I meant.  I am not saying that I want pipe smoking to be a men's only hobby.  I'm not saying that I don't want women to smoke a pipe.  I am not, have not, and will never say that.  The more people that enjoy this pastime, the better off the industry and the hobby will be.  All was trying to say was even though this is (or at least appears to be) a predominantly male pastime, no one is out there trying to make us feel bad about that.  We are all inclusive as a community and no one is trying to push any agendas and that is the way it should be.

I just wanted to clarify that.  If I have offended anyone, or stepped over a line, please let me know.  If this post has become an issue, then please take it down.  I'm certainly not here to rock the boat. 

• Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited August 2017
    No need to take the post down in my opinion and I appreciate the clarification.

What I have found in my association with other pipe smokers is that we all tend to be all-inclusive of other pipe smokers. I have yet met anyone who said Sam can't sit and smoke with us because of his color or Jean can't smoke her pipe with us because we don't allow women. We just don't give a... care as long as you are a pipe smoker. We are all inclusive because that is who we are and we don't go out of our way to advertise it. 

• Options
    I'm a guy so of course I was not offended by the post. But thanks to the subject matter and response I've seen many more pictures of women smoking from all eras and parts of the world, so it made for an interesting travelogue through time of all the photos of women smoking through the ages. That collection of photos from PappyJoe and the link Motie provided was pretty informative and chockfull of photos. From time-to-time I'll see a staged photo of a super hot model is posing with a pipe in her mouth who probably never smoked a pipe in her life. But that's not the case with the historic photos featuring women who seem pipe smoking was natural, acceptable, and commonplace. And if you have any doubts about the modern woman piper of the day a quick search through YouTube features a wide array of ladies who've taken to the hobby with the same fervor as the men. 
  • Options
    It is odd though that none of our lady pipers have chimed in on the discussion expressing their view.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, where did you find that picture of my grandmother,LOL.
  • Options
    @pipeman83 - typed vintage photos of women smoking pipes.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @PappyJoe -- You wrote: <<I have yet met anyone who said Sam can't sit and smoke with us because of his color or Jean can't smoke her pipe with us because we don't allow women.>>

Bravo!!!!!! Thank you for a great declaration of principles.
  • Options
    @motie2 - You may quote me. I think if we all lived with a simple principle like that the world would be a better place.
  • Options
    Yes, I too believe it is predominantly a male pastime and yes I also love being in the presence of a woman who smokes pipes (and cigars for that  matter).  In the meantime, let us all direct hearty applause for @xDutchx and his post, which I agree to with every fiber of my being.  I thank you sir, for making me laugh out loud whilst sitting in my cubicle in sector G, row 37 of the insurance conglomerate to which I am endentured...I mean employed.
  • Options

@jim102864, Careful with that laughter on company time. I have found that if they hear you laugh often, they may think you are happy. If you are happy, that might possibly be just cause for them to not offer your next raise or bonus, or both!

It's a wonder that you can even access TPL from work, but I have found that this is one tobacco related site that flies under the radar for some reason.

• Options
    The only time I am on TPL is at work,I work nights so it gives me something to do to pass the time.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    0240895e7a774b5f599da80e87cad433--pipes-tobacco-cigar-smoking
    Back in the day, we used to prank call local establishments that sold pipe tobacco:

"Hello, do you have Prince Albert in the can?"

"Yes, we do, sir."

"Well he's done; you better let him out."

6ba88ec94dc4d4827074cde2f3ff3191--peterson-pipes-pipe-dream
  • Options
    and....now we know why even our admin has stopped posting.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I would suggest that the existence of significant numbers of 21st Century female pipe smokers is largely a myth. Celebrity photo ops and hot women shown smoking pipes in tobacco magazines and catalogs do not necessarily translate to actual smokers. While I'm sure that an occasional woman may pick up a pipe as a novelty, I doubt that there are very many who smoke pipes on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Nigel:  What's wrong with being sexy?
    Ian:  Sex-IST!  

• Options
    @topaz - I agree. Most of what we see with the celebrities or magazine covers are not of real pipe smokers. Go to other pipe smoker forums and you will find maybe less than 1% of the members are female. They are out there but are few and far between.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK44311/#A6637

Women

National data from the 1964 and 1966 AUTS indicated that 0.3 percent of women smoked a pipe (). In the 1986 AUTS and the 1970, 1987, 1991, and 1992 NHIS, pipe smoking among women was low (0.0 to 0.1 percent) (). Aggregate data from the 1987 and 1991 NHIS showed that pipe use was low among white women (0.1 percent) and among women of other racial and ethnic groups (0.0 percent) (). In all years, women were much less likely than men to smoke a pipe (, 1992; ).

Girls

In the 1999 NYTS, 1.4 (± 0.6) percent of girls in middle school and 1.4 (±0.5) percent of girls in high school reported that they had smoked a pipe in the preceding month. Current pipe use among girls was 33 to 40 percent that of boys ().

--

Prevalence of the use of cigars, pipes, and smokeless tobacco among women is generally low, but recent data suggested that cigar smoking among women and girls is increasing.

Adults

Current pipe smokers in NHIS were categorized as having smoked a pipe at least 50 times during their lifetime and by use at the time of the interview. Current pipe smoking in AUTS was determined by self-reporting of ever smoking a pipe and smoking a pipe at the time of the survey.

Children and Adolescents

In NYTS, current pipe smokers had smoked a pipe on 1 or more of the 30 days preceding the survey.

• Options
    I tend to agree with PappyJoe that many photos featuring lady pipers appear to be of the celebrity photo shoot variety, and seriously doubt they've ever smoked an actual bowl from top to bottom. Yet there are some ladies on YouTube who are very much into the hobby and seem to really know their stuff. But I'd tend to agree with those percentage numbers Motie posted. And of the high school boys and girls who answered the poll I have a sneaking suspicion that it's wasn't Lane 1-Q in the bowl ... and the pipe itself was probably constructed of glass or metal. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - I thought the same thing when I read @motie2 post. I knew a couple of girls in high school back in the early 70s that smoked pipes but they never put tobacco in them.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Revision: "At the risk of appearing sexist."

Using sex to make a sale. Nothing new under the sun.......
  • Options
    And today's laugh out loud funny post goes to...@pappyjoe with this post that even a lowly cog in the monolithic corporate machine such as me can appreciate (provided that I'm not caught smiling by my sector master):

I knew a couple of girls in high school back in the early 70s that smoked pipes but they never put tobacco in them.

• Options
    And while I'm at it, my post "what's wrong with being sexy?" a few posts ago was an out take from that classic rockumentary, This is Spinal Tap.  If you haven't seen it, you absolutely must, like right now!  A comedy with the same chops as Young Frankenstein and all the Monty Python movies. 

Ok, I'm done.  The sector master is staring at me.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Found this particular outrage while looking for vintage pipe ads.
    "New scientific method works in the most difficult cases."

CAMOhqLUgAI-o8h