Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Ok, Let's talk pipe tobacco(s).

Hello Pipe and Tobacco Aficionados, hope all is well out there. I recently obtained some tobacco that has caused me to pause in the (lite it up) dept. I received a tin of "CORNELL & DIEHL'S CROONER" pipe tobacco. If you are not familier with this pipe tobacco blend it also has what is called, "deer tongue" added in the blend. As I researched I read where deer tongue use to be used quite often as an ingredient when blending tobaccos in the past and not so much in today's tobacco blending. It was stated that this ingredient  was known to be unsafe and out lawed for use. In another article it stated that it can be used in tobacco but not as an ingredient for food consumption. With this I have pumped my breaks and slowed down for a moment in order to hear some responses from the (TPL)  family/community. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Remember, smoke what you like and like what you smoke, take a little time to contemplate. Be safe out there and I thank you. 

Comments

• Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    The bottom line is that you can smoke deer tongue but you shouldn't eat it. 
    The compound in deer tongue that causes the problem is coumarin. Coumarin is an ingredient used in anti-coagulants  such as Warfarin. Ingesting Coumarin while on Warfarin can cause adverse effects. 

That being said, coumarin is naturally found in a number of plants including tonka bean, cassia (bastard cinnamon or Chinese cinnamon), cinnamon, melilot (sweet clover), green tea, peppermint, celery, bilberry, lavender, honey (derived both from sweet clover and lavender), and carrots, as well as in beer, tobacco, wine, and other foodstuffs. From my understanding of this, the problem isn't so much as consuming it but the amount that is consumed.

Also, smoking something containing coumarin is not the same as consuming it. That is why it can be added to pipe tobacco. 

Read the publication from the link below for more information.
    https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Coumarin
  • Options
    KABUL07KABUL07 Master
    Hello PappyJoe, hope all is well and I thank you for the feedback/information. It is greatly appreciated. If you don't mind me asking, have you or do you currently enjoy any blends that contain deer tongue, if so any recommendations other than what I mentioned ?
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    Even as we speak I am loading a blend that contains coumarin - the Daughters & Ryan version of London Dock. Mark Ryan introduced the New Orleans Pipe Club to London Dock just before it hit the market and several club members bought multiple tin. The tin I am smoking is from August 2019 and is the last tin that I have. 

Interestingly, the original London Dock didn't contain deer tongue but had rose essence instead. The rose essences went out of favor because pipe smokers didn't like it. That is sort of a strange tale since many Lakeland blends contain rose essence. 

I have also smoked Crooner and Gentleman Caller. Both are good blends and one of these days I may purchase more. 

• Options
    KABUL07KABUL07 Master
    Once again, I appreciate it PappyJoe. I will look into some London Dock and until I do I will enjoy some Cornell & Diehl "Crooner".  :-) Thanks.
  • Options
    KABUL07KABUL07 Master
    motie2 thanks for the information and I really enjoyed the article.
  • Options
    Not to be a downer, but we all know the hazards of smoking, or, at least we should.  It’s a risk, why worry about Deer Tongue, Tonka Bean, Coumarin, plain tobacco may get you first anyway.  Just remember, all things in moderation.  Who wants to live if you can’t enjoy the little things.  It’s called life (good and bad) for a reason, live it.  Most people’s lives can be measured on a 6 foot tape measure at an inch a year, some get an 8 footer, some a 10 foot tape, a select few (actually one known) get to add the extra 2.5” length of the tape body.  Personally I’m still working on 6 footer, but it’s great to see a few here that got at least an 8 footer out of the “tool box” of life🙂👍🏻
    Unless you believe in reincarnation, once the tape lock snaps, no “do-overs” where you get to pull the tape back out.  Here on earth in this life anyway.
    P.S.  Keep your tape measure clean🙂
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited May 11
    https://eattheplanet.org/surprisingly-smoking-tobacco-from-a-pipe-may-have-health-benefits/

Why Are We Told That Smoking Is So Bad For Us?

Because smoking cigarettes is. It harms almost every organ in your body. It causes 20% of all deaths in the united states annually. Cigarettes often contain poisons such as acetone, ammonia, arsenic, formaldehyde, lead, tar and more. Most studies on smoking that indicate how bad it is for you tend to group cigarette smoking which is full of these poisons with pipe smoking which contains none of these poisons. The chart below shows how likely a cigarette, cigar or pipe smoker is to develop lung cancer compared to a non-smoker.

· Non-smoker 1.0 (base number)
    · Cigarette – 20 grams / day 16.0 (i.e. 16 x the risk of non-smokers)
    · Cigar – 20 grams / day 3.2
    · Pipe – if > 10 bowls per day 6.7
    · Pipe – if 5 bowls per day 3.2
    · Pipe – if 3 bowls per day 1.5
    · Pipe – if 2 bowls per day 1.26
    · typical – 2 bowls every 2-3 days ~1.05 (almost same as non-smoker)

Data taken from www.seattlepipeclub.org

• Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    @motie2
    Thank you for posting that. 
  • Options
    opipemanopipeman Master
    @motie2;
    Very interesting. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    One of the popular AI’s sez:

<< Pipe smoking can be a relaxing activity that can help with stress, anxiety, and problem solving. The nicotine in pipe tobacco can help calm emotions and the deceleration required to smoke can help achieve relaxation. Smoking also releases endorphins, which are natural opioids that can make you feel relaxed and pleasant >>
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master

<<While smoking a pipe can be a pleasurable experience for some individuals, it's essential to note that there are various health risks associated with smoking any tobacco product. However, from a historical and cultural perspective, some people may find certain aspects of pipe smoking appealing. Here are some potential benefits or pros that some individuals may associate with smoking a pipe:

1. Relaxation: For some, smoking a pipe can be a way to relax and unwind. The ritual of packing the pipe, lighting it, and slowly puffing on it can be a calming and meditative activity.
    2. Flavor and aroma: Pipe tobacco comes in a wide variety of flavors and aromas, allowing smokers to explore different blends and experience a range of tastes and smells.
    3. Social aspect: Pipe smoking has a long history of being a social activity, with pipe smokers often gathering in groups to enjoy their pipes together. This can create a sense of camaraderie and community among enthusiasts.
    4. Tradition and craftsmanship: Many pipe smokers appreciate the tradition and craftsmanship that goes into making pipes. There is a certain artistry and skill involved in crafting a high-quality pipe, and collectors may value the beauty and uniqueness of different pipes.
    5. Mindfulness: Some individuals find that smoking a pipe can help them practice mindfulness and be present in the moment. The slow, deliberate pace of pipe smoking can encourage smokers to savor the experience and focus on the sensations and flavors.

It's important to emphasize that these perceived benefits are subjective and may not outweigh the well-documented health risks associated with smoking. >>

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    <<There are those who say that pipe smoking can lead to contemplation and deeper thought. The act of smoking a pipe can be a soothing activity that slows down the body and helps people relax. Some say that the nicotine in tobacco can help dull strong emotions in difficult situations. >>
  • Options
    KABUL07KABUL07 Master
    So with all that great news being shared I would like to add that I was fortunate enough to obtain some "Palmetto Balkan" for the very first time. My question for those who may have had this blend is, should I cellar it for some time or just dig right into the tin. I have not seen much feedback on this tobacco for 2024. Thanks.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited May 18
    Jim's C&D Palmetto Balkan 2024 (Small Batch) Review
    ©Jim Amash 2024 (JimInks)

Pipe enthusiasts who read reviews of tobaccos are likely to recognize the handle JimInks. In the nine years he's been actively reviewing, JimInks has reviewed more than 2700 tobaccos, and he not only writes reviews, but revises them if the blend itself is modified or he has new insights, sharing these reviews on multiple pipe forums and on tobaccoreviews.com.

• Options
    KABUL07KABUL07 Master
    Thanks for the response. Sometimes I may come on the "TPL" because I am seeking responses from the TPL family/community on a particular pipe, tobacco or a personal experience from a site member or members. I thank you for sharing and may follow your suggestion. Have a great day and happy smoking. Be safe out there.  :-)