Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 17
    I just received a new-to-me-pipe in the mail today.  There was supposed to be another, but the current state of the USPS is lacking.  Whatever happened to through rain/sleet/snow….?  
         I don’t believe this pipe was smoked much.  I “accidentally” won the auction, I thought for sure someone would outbid my pathetic bid.  
         To begin my normal pre-smoke ritual, I taper drilled the stem, chamfered the tenon, reamed and cleaned the bowl and removed as much of the “old style” Peterson bowl coating as easily possible.  It is the kind that only comes out with alcohol rather than the “new style” that is easily removed with a warm damp paper towel.  There is definitely stain under the coating😖.  I don’t feel like sanding it out, so I guess a I have to persevere and smoke it out.  I half hoped the rim would be less than new, so I could put a concave top on it, I dislike a convex rim on billiards, pokers, dublins, zulu’s, and yacht’s, probably some others I’m forgetting.  
         I’m smoking my go-to break in tobacco, C&D “Espresso”.  The pipe is a little Peterson Short Classic Tankard with sterling.  It has a pretty nice grain, and just two or three tiny fills.
  • Options
    Nothing.
    Despite the weather miss-casters saying it would reach 40f yesterday, the two outdoor thermometers I only registered a high of 34f. 
    This morning it is 19f. 

I think I'll just sit inside and drink today - coffee this morning, Irish coffee this afternoon. 
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Great looking pipe and you are correct. The rim would look better concave, but to do that properly would mean sanding and restaining the entire pipe.
    I have known a couple of people in all my years, that had the uncanny talent of perfectly matching stain to prevent a total redo, but Lord knows I'm not one of them.
    I'm sure with all your Peterson experience, that model is not new to you, but it is to me... and I like it...
    Nice catch!
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    I have deeply chamfered the rim or flattened a rim on a few pipes without a complete re-do.  If the match is close enough, the slight contrast looks fine, preferable even, to me.  A completely different color can look even better.  
         This line, the “short classic” were all smaller pipes, equating to a short smoke rather than length of stem.  I do have at least one other Pete “Tankard”, and quite a few of Peterson’s small pipes, but no other Pete’s with the caramel? swirl stem.  I still have my eye out for a Pete “Orange Army”, a line I “himmed and hawed” about, then they were gone.  A similar look….but better, to my eye anyway.🙂
  • Options
    Thermometer in the car this morning.  I'm going to pass on the usual dog walk pipe today.
  • Options
    @Zouave
    Join the club brother...
    😄
  • Options
    Shot up to 39° so I thought I'd give one of my latest pipes a spin. Doing some Lane 1Q for its maiden voyage...

• Options
    Fresh off the refurb, I loaded this Sunrise Amber Grain Liverpool 30 with some C&D “Espresso” for it’s maiden voyage this evening by it’s new companion.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    That's a beautiful job on your Liverpool 30. I finally got the snow cleared to my Smoking Shed yesterday and fired up my Spanu with some LL-7.

That combination made all the effort worth it.
  • Options
    Forgot to post this earlier today.
    LL-7 in on of my "Frankenpipes "...

• Options
    A nice bowl of Boswell Piper’s Pleasure mixed 50/50 with Molto Dolce, in my EA Carey 307, given to me several years ago by a TPL brother.
  • Options
    Doing some Frankenblend in a Paronelli bent...

• Options
    HH Burley Flake in the straight brandy basket briar
  • Options
    Well Brothers, I can't get to my Smoking Shed since the last snow storm, due to my lower back pain. I may not be able to get another steroid shot for a couple of weeks. My days of shoveling and blowing snow may have come to an end. I never dreamed it would come to this. I'll check on your posts, but won't have much to add. I'm in as bad of pain as ever. It hurts to walk, stand, lay down, or set. It ain't no fun to get old. 
  • Options
    @opipeman
    Well, that sucks.
    I was reading somewhere awhile back that said shoveling snow causes quite a few deaths each year.  The article stated that a person shouldn’t shovel snow after 50 years old.😳
    I can’t imagine not having shoveled snow for the last 9 years.  It doesn’t seem like it’s a problem for me as of yet.  I have a few more years to catch up to some of the guys here however.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    Getting old sucks especially when your mind keeps telling you, "Sure, you can do this!" 
    Then you go and do it and your body puts up a big billboard saying, "I told you that you are too old to do that crap, now suffer."

• Options
    @opipeman
    Solution: hire a kid to shovel a path to get to your shed.
    Then while your in pain, you can at least smoke your pipes.
    Seriously, I hope you get to feeling well soon...🙏🏻
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

You wrote, << The article stated that a person shouldn’t shovel snow after 50 years old.😳 >>

I’m 77 and I shoveled the driveway, front walk, sidewalk, and steps. Four maybe six inches had fallen. No drifting. 

Heart attack shoveling snow sounds a lot better than many other ways of exiting this mortal coil.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar; @PappyJoe; @KA9FFJ;
    Well Brothers, first of all let me apologize for whining about my back. I don't know what is worse, the physical pain or the realization that I can't do yet one more thing due to my age. My nickname in my fire service career was "Mikey da Bull". Maybe that will give you some incite into my approach to life.
    RockyMountainBriar you are correct. I guess I should be glad I beat the odds by 30 years.
    PappyJoe I need to listen to what my body is telling me and ignore my pride.
    KA9FFJ That would be the smart thing to do. My Bride has said the same thing.
    Sage advise Brothers. Thanks for taking the time to try and talk some sense into me.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    No need to apologize. 
    Many of us have the same problem of thinking we are still capable of doing what we did when we were young. 
    In my case, I have been told that surviving 21 years in the Coast Guard meant that my body aged but my mind went into statis so I did "grow-up" as my wife likes to put it. 
  • Options
    @motie2
    I hope I am able to shovel snow well into my 90’s😬.  I’ve got a long way to go though.
    I have a hard time thinking that 50 would be a “cutoff point”, I’m wondering what kind of person wrote the article.
  • Options
    Smoking my Kiko meer Lovat loaded with some MacBaren “HH Rustica Hot Pressed Flake” from 2020.  I air dried the flake for about 20-30 minutes before rub’in and stuff’in.   I have a Flat White made with Ethiopian light roasted beans to pair.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    Damn it to hell. We still have so much to offer.
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    I was shooting for maybe 85. Not to be.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Getting a nice tan on that meer. Looking good...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    It had a nice tan before I purchased it, so I can’t take much of the credit🙂
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 22
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Still looks good brother. Besides you know as well as I that we're just using the pipes until we hand them off farther down the line.
    Hey, that reminds me. You are keeping track of my list... right?😏
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 22
    Doing some Lane RLP-6 in a Frankenpipe after finishing another Frankenpipe...
  • Options
    Westminster in an Orlik prince regent.