Home General
Options

Other Hobbies

Comments

• Options
    @Londy3;
    I built the space meself when I finished the basement. I should have made it larger.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    There are three hanging in that corner. They are CarbonTetraChloride Fire Extinguisher Grenades. They used to hang in schools and factories. Incredible at extinguishing fires. They were designed to through on the fire. The glass would break and a chemical reaction would put the fire out. One major problem, in the process of extinguishing the fire, it would convert to Phosgene Gas(a WWI war gas). They were banned in the 60's, as I recall. I found these when making Fire Prevention Inspections, and offered to dispose of these hazardous materials for the business owner.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    @opipeman
    I should have guessed they were some sort of firefighting device.  For the life of me I couldn’t even ponder a guess.  They would make pretty cool lighted wall sconces.  Thanks for the history lesson.  You learn something everyday🙂  
  • Options
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    They have to be handled with care. Glass isn't all that thick and if memory serves, Carbon Tet. is a carcinogen. don't get it on your skin or inhale the vapors. I have them hanging where they can't get easily broken, otherwise I would have a Haz. Mat. incident in my basement.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    @opipeman
    So, they are still functional then?

Looked them up on The Google….there’s really nothing good about, what’s in them, what gas it turns too, or the acid left afterwards😳. Pretty nasty stuff, but I guess they work for what they were intended.  I noticed some of them kind of acted like a sprinkler head.  A plug melted and released a spring that threw/launched the fire extinguisher grenade from it’s perch,  interesting.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    They are great at putting out fires. Just wouldn't want to be in a confined area where they were used. Two of the three in my cave have fusible links and are spring loaded. I have used wire ties to disable them. School Buses had pump hand held extinguishers in them until the 60"s. All of the stuff is sold as antiques now. Most people don't know about the potential health issues.

• Options
    While Carbon Tet has it uses (I still use it, have small stock) and many lament it's disappearance (especially the guys braising high pressure gas lines (oxygen free) I had never heard of it being used as a fire agent.
    It always amazes me the decisions made to use methods like this, was it ignorance or hubris?
  • Options
    @mapletop;
    Ignorance, I think.
  • Options
    By the way @opipeman hugely appreciate the education, didn't know such things existed
  • Options
    @opipeman my father was a fireman for 40 years. I remember seeing those smaller hand pump extinguishers at the house from time to time.  He would periodically bring home those taller old brass ones as well. 
  • Options
    @Zouave;
    They are both sold in Antique Malls/Shops. I have an old Soda Acid Extinguisher around here someplace. My son has a collection of them.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    My father got one of the copper/brass fire extinguishers from the old railroad depot when it closed. Some stupid fella (me) filled it with water for some reason?  It was stored in our unheated garage so it froze and split the whole side out of it.  My dad was making us clean out the garage for a dump run, which as a teenager, pissed me off.  I threw it out, along with several rail cutoffs that could be used as anvils….man that was stupid of me.  I wish I had one of those now.  Ahh, the stupid shit teenagers do.  I still have a smaller one that is used for a doorstop.  Dad brought a couple home, a guy in the shops made them.  I’m not sure where the other/s are, I think at least one of my siblings has one?  I use this one for a doorstop, and an anvil.  Mostly for junior leatherwork and junior gun-smithing.  The paint has a few dings on it from anvil use.  I think the doorstop in my mom’s garage is a bearing from a rail car wheel.  It a steel cylinder about 3 1/2”-4” in diameter and 3”-4” tall.  I have pressed it into service as an anvil in the past as well.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Looks good. You'll have to tell us what you think on the inaugural tasting 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited February 2023
    I'm playing in the studio again trying to get comfortable with oils.  Just created a study of still life.  I'm thinking about trying to do an actual painting next.  But first, a pipe and some montepuciano! 

The study.
  • Options
    @Londy3
    Never liked oils. I don't know why. They are slow drying compared to acrylics, and you can push them around and change things almost at will. But I was basically a pencil, charcoal, watercolor and acrylic guy myself...
    You seem to be grasping the medium a LOT better than I did...👏
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Thanks man.  Yeah I never used oils in my life. This is my first time playing around.  This is VERY different for sure. I didn't know what I was getting into. I'm going to keep trying and see what I can do. I will post more practice studies as I make them. 
  • Options
    @Londy3
    Oils... You're following the footsteps of the Masters...👣
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Perhaps.  But the masters.....
  • Options
    Londy you are quite talented........water, acrylics, or oil

• Options
    @pwkarch
    Those really are works of art. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful...
    Now if you can just figure a way to drill a few holes, attach a stem, load 'em up with one of your favorite blends and smoke them... now THAT would REALLY be something.
    Note:
    Don't attach the stem to the ducks butt. It probably wouldn't bode well with the general public... 😏
  • Options
    @pwkarch;
    Great work, Brother. I have a collection of antique duck decoys. Tried carving some miniatures, but didn't stick with it. 
  • Options
    @pwkarch
    Wow. Now that is some awesome work!
    You sir have good talent!
  • Options
    @pwkarch
    I love those ducks, beautiful work.  That’s my kind of art🙂. I have a ceramic jewelry box mallard drake that was my uncles.  One of your carvings made into a jewelry box would be awesome.  I use the box for storing the Ball Railroad wristwatch I inherited from him.  It was the watch he chose when he retired.  On a side note, my dad chose a mantel clock when he retired from the railroad.  Twins don’t always do things the same🙂
  • Options
    My decoys are strictly for display. Some are made from Cedar and others from clear pine. I have tried other wood species. I would never use these as wolrking decoys (or sell one to someone for that purpose). Working with wood is in the blood, My Dad was a custom wood worker from building houses, to cabinets, furniture, etc. My Son is probably the best among our three generations. He has made custom Bird Houses that are absolutely gorgeous, apparently a lot of people use them for interior decoration. I wish I could do more decoys but those days are over, The Chemo I have been on for years now have left me with significant arthritis and my decoys now might end up in the fireplace.
  • Options
  • Options
    I had interest in learning to play a guitar or piano, painting and doing other creative things but never really progressed beyond that point. I have tried carving my own pipes, doing leatherwork and even building cigar box guitars. (I actually made four good ones.). My creative talents have always been in the writing and photography. One of these days I’ll have to post some of my pre-digital photography.