Home General

2»

Comments

• @mseddon thanks for the advice.  Just ordered molto dolce from pipes and cigars.  I have the guys in this discussion to thank for the referral.  Should arrive Monday. 
  • Welcome aboard guys.
  • Welcome @Newsmoker1956 , as someone who tends to lurk at places rather than posting; I know it's a bit intimidating, especially if you feel like you don't have much to contribute. All the posters here, though, are friendly, and go out of their way to chat with the new members. It's one of the reasons I post here, rather than anywhere else. Post often, and have fun!
  • @Newsmoker1956 Welcome! Glad to have you with us! I too enjoy the outdoors. Though I live in a city, we have a condo overlooking a green belt. I smoke out on our balcony and love watching the natural history of the greenbelt unfold. There's a couple of herds of deer who come through, several coyotes, foxes, black vultures, fireflies and more. I feel like smoking a pipe helps me slow down and appreciate the wondrous unfolding of creation.
  • And for both @BlueCollarBastard and @Newsmoker1956 I'd recommend checking out smokingpipes.com. A big advantage they offer over P&C regards buying pipes online. Smokingpipes sells you the pipe you see. P&C just sells you the shape, and finish, and maker they show, not any particular pipe. It's worth a bit more for me to know exactly what pipe I'll get.
  • @mseddon ill have to check that out.  I've just got a corn cob right now.  But i like the acorn bowl style
  • I have heard that smokingpipes.com and P&C are owned by the same parent company. Does anyone know if that is true or not?
  • PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited November 2017
    @mseddon - smokingpipes.com is owned by Laudisi.  P&C is owned by Cigar International. 
  • @BlueCollarBastard -- Welcome to the club!  Another good OTC tobacco you may like is Prince Albert.  Always a good mellow and consistent smoke with a nice aroma.  I smoke both premium and OTC aromatics as well as English blends but I do favor Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh.  Captain Black Original and Captain Black Copper are also enjoyable aromatics. My preference is to let the tobacco dry out a little before smoking it which cuts down or eliminates moisture and goop that can collect at the bottom of the pipe bowl. 
  • @BlueCollarBastard -- Welcome to the club!  Another good OTC tobacco you may l is Prince Albert.  Always a good mellow and consistent smoke.  I smoke both premium and OTC aromatics as well as English blends but I do favor Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh.  Captain Black Original and Captain Black Copper are also enjoyable aromatics. My preference is to let the tobacco dry out a little before smoking it which cuts down or eliminates moisture and goop that can collect at the bottom of the pipe bowl. 
  • @BlueCollarBastard -- Welcome to the club!  Another good OTC tobacco you may l is Prince Albert.  Always a good mellow and consistent smoke.  I smoke both premium and OTC aromatics as well as English blends but I do favor Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh.  Captain Black Original and Captain Black Copper are also enjoyable aromatics. My preference is to let the tobacco dry out a little before smoking it which cuts down or eliminates moisture and goop that can collect at the bottom of the pipe bowl. 
  • Welcome @BlueCollarBastard ! And I feel like I'm working toward the goal described in @motie2 's post before mine.  Got the beer belly anyway and getting older like everyone else.
  • Welcome @BlueCollarBastard ! And I feel like I'm working toward the goal described in @motie2 's post before mine.  Got the beer belly anyway and getting older like everyone else.
  • MontecristoMontecristo Master
    edited January 2023
    This was posted on Youtube a couple of days ago.

”Why are young people picking up pipe smoking?”

https://youtu.be/hitwrji6Q6o
  • Found an interesting book about pipe tobacco blending and pipes on Amazon

The Pipe Smoker's Guide To Pipes & Pipe Tobacco Blending: A Comprehensive Guide To Pipe Smoking Enjoyment Kindle Edition

If you are a pipe smoker and want to learn about pipes, tobacco blending and what you can buy and blend today this book is for you. This is a comprehensive guide that includes not only information about pipes, pipe tobacco but also the author’s own techniques for blending and purchasing pipes. A pipe smoker for over fifty years Steve shares with you what you need to know about classic pipe makes and tobacco blends. What you should look for in vintage and artisan pipes? If you are a new pipe smoker Steve covers all the basics. He includes everything from picking a pipe to buying everything you need to start your collection. This guide is twice as large as his first book on pipe tobacco blending. He reviews pipes and tobacco blends that are available now and gives you information on where to obtain these. He highlights the best pipe manufacturers you can buy from today and gives you a starting point of dozens of artisan pipe makers. Steve shares with you a look at pipe artisan Dave McLary and what Dave does to produce his outstanding pipes. Steve goes in depth about the types of tobacco and their characteristics. You will learn what you need to know about pipe tobacco blending. Steve shows you how to blend your own mixtures and a simple formula for adjusting your blends. He shares with you some stories and tips in making pipe smoking more enjoyable. For both the new or experienced pipe smoker this guide will provide you great information and many ideas to make pipe smoking more enjoyable.

• I come from (abandoned) a forum where feces flinging and rude behavior was the basis of conversation. I’m seek shelter for that storm. As a recently converted pipe smoker, I’m looking for helpful advice (tips, techniques, and recommendations), and perhaps a bit of camaraderie. 

According to a recent post by @pappyjoe, conversation here is not restricted to pipes and pipe smoking. It appears that most of the adolescence takes place in specific folders; posts intended to get a rise out of people, or to show how scintillatingly clever the poster is.  OTOH, religion seems to be safe here. Any clergy members?) 

Anyways, I’ll make a point of staying out of the indicated folders so as to not offend my delicate sensibilities. 

So far, I’ve enjoyed my limited time on TPK. We’ll see how it goes. I wasn’t happy on Château d'If.

• PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited January 2023
    @Montecristo
    We have had clergy on here in the past. One did leave because he got offended not by the religious discussions but because he didn't agree with the political stances that some people took. He also felt betrayed if everyone didn't agree with everything he said. 

There are several specific folders that I do not read because I have no interest in them. I respect the rights of others to carry on those discussions though.

I should also mention that since TPL is a relatively small pipe forum, it is easier for us to "self-police" ourselves. STG, the company behind the forum has either seen fit to let us self police ourselves or has taken the stance that it would be too much of a bother to just shut the forum down.
  • (Hmmm, same words, same phrases...hmmm, I wonder.)
  • By the way, you probably shouldn't call people on here 'children' (adolescence) and mock their posts as 'beneath you' (scintillatingly clever) or it may come back at ya...we've been having fun on here quite a while now, if you are really "new" on this forum, then you should probably try your best to either join in the fun or just hang out, but calling people names and putting yourself above others probably isn't a good way to start out...just sayin'. 
  • MontecristoMontecristo Master
    edited January 2023
    Thanks. Forewarned.is forearmed.
  • I own that “adolescence”.
    Neener, Neener!