Comments

• Options
    @opipeman
    Nice…”peachy” 🙂
  • Options
    He needs a "bigger rack"? B)

• Options
    @opipeman
    Well, thanks for the review sir. What a great looking pipe you have! Let us know how she breaks in brother. 
  • Options
    @Zouave, @RockyMountainBriar, @vtgrad2003
    I thought I really controlled myself when I didn't commit on the need for a bigger rack. You rascals are as bad as meself.
  • Options
    @Londy3;
    I'll keep you posted, Brother.
  • Options
    My opinion on Churchwardens is they are more of a novelty than a practical smoking pipe. I have two in my collection. They both smoke well. Might even smoke a tad cooler - perfect for that blend with a tendency to burn the tongue. But Churchwardens are awkward, impossible to clench unless you have jaws of steel, and a pain in the ass to keep clean if you live in an area like mine where it's tough enough finding a smoke shop that carries standard size pipe cleaners, let alone the extra long pipe cleaners required for a Churchwarden. I think it's safe to say I've only smoked the pair less than a dozen times between the both of them.     
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    Good points.
    I think you are correct about them being more of a novelty than practical at this point in time. My belief is that the Churchwarden pipes were far more common in the past until the mid-1800s. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, @PappyJoe;
    You have described churchwardens better than I could have come up with. Wish i had known before I spent all that money. 
  • Options
    @Pappyjoe;
    I don't think it was a waste of money either, but I wish I hadn't spent as much as I did. Who knows in time it may become a favorite.
  • Options
    For a long time I've observed a lack of churchwardens in the estate pipe section of SP, particularly in the Sav section which is what I pay most attention to. There can only be three reasons for that, either people who buy them like them enough to never sell them, they break and get thrown away, people don't buy them in the first place.
    I don't think it's the latter because right now, Sav alone has around 70 (3 pages worth) on SP's new pipe site...you wouldn't stock that many new pipes if there wasn't a robust demand for them, so, it has to be one of the first two reasons.
    I mention this because regardless of whether they are 'novelty' pipes or not, a ton of people purchase them and you must, thereby, reasonably conclude that a ton of people like them.
    Kick back and enjoy the damn thing already! You made a good purchase that a gazillion others have done as well. Plus, it's a pretty pipe you bought there and makes you look more sophisticated! The only thing that would make you look even more sophisticated is if you grew more hair out of your ears like @PappyJoe has growing out of his! :D

• Options
    Bought a hair trimmer and started buzzing my head when the pandemic hit
  • Options
    I have 3  churchwardens 2 of which I modified myself, I'm a "Sipper" and I find them easy to use when leaning back in my chair in cool weather out on
    my porch. I find many arts and crafts store stock long, white cotton pipe cleaners they use in decorations. Read the package as the  colored ones and some white ones are not cotton. You can also find spools of pipe cleaner online that you cut to length.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    I have a churchwarden that I picked up at an estate sale. It's a Peterson, unsmoked, for like 8 dollars. The stem broke in the shank and I still have the pipe but have never gotten around to trying to get the broken piece out or the pipe fixed. It's been 4 years, so I'm guessing that means I'm not a fan, LOL.
  • Options
    @mhajec;
    I tend to procrastinate myself. I can't promise that you will love it if you get it prepared, but you might.
  • Options
    @mhajec
    You can put the pipe bowl in the freezer for awhile, then use a 3” drywall screw and lightly turn it into the broken tenon and wiggle it carefully out.  I would then find some ~1/8” stainless steel tubing and cut an inch+ or so repair sleeve.  Drill the back side of the broken tenon not quite all the way, figure out how deep to drill the stem, just enough for the rest of the SS tube.  Lightly sand the tubing and clean with alcohol then use some Locktite 380 “BlackMax” to fit it back together.  The repair will be almost invisible.  Sounds like you got a very good deal once it is repaired.  I have somewhere around 150 Peterson’s, but I have not pulled the trigger on a churchwarden yet.