Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Dunhill 151 Stem Replacement

About three weeks ago, the bit broke on my 1926 Dunhill 151 when I was running a pipe cleaner through it. Being that it's 94 years old, I decided to spend a extra to get a replacement stem made with the Dunhill White Spot. After talking to pipe smokers on three different forums, I decided on George Dibos who specializes in making replacement stems for high end pipes complete with the correct stamping or logos. Instead of a flat rate for the stems, George charges $25 per hour plus material. If you have a high end pipe, and have the money to spend, he is the one to contact.

When I first opened the package last night, I was surprised at how shiny the new vulcanite stem is. It looks better than a high grade acrylic stem in my opinion.

Additionally, George supplied me with some information I didn't have. I knew the pipe was old by the stamping but I didn't know it was "rare." George told me:
"The 151 is quite large for its time---effectively a chunky 120 with a shorter bowl. And not many were made for some reason. I've only seen two others in 45 years.
The nomenclature is not only museum-quality preserved, but was PERFECTLY applied. (Craftsmanship jobs weren't just a paycheck back then, but a point of pride.)"

Another thing he corrected me on, was the material used to make the White Spot. I've always believed the myth that it was originally an ivory spot on the old Dunhill. I now know that is a myth and that the dots were made from 
cellulose until the switched to acrylic dots.

George also sent me the following in an email: "I decided after handling it a while---after getting to know it up close (so to speak)---that your 151 is one of the coolest pipes I've ever encountered.  Not just Dunhill, not just English, I mean period.  The color, the finish, the hand feel, the size, shape, and condition, everything about it makes for a perfect smoking machine.

When a pipe is as rare as yours there's no selling history, which makes valuation a total guess. Having watched the market for decades gives me a feel for old Dunhills, though.  If well represented (good photos, good description, on a high profile site), I'd be amazed if it didn't bring $800.  I've seen similar pipes (meaning brand, size, rarity and condition) go for $1200-1500. "

And to think, I was given this Dunhill as a gift... 

Comments