Home General
Options

Chicago Pipe Show 2019

2»

Comments

• Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @jfreedy That is a bummer. Sorry you can't make it. @thebadgerpiper Hope to see you again this year. :)@daveinlax I will keep a look out, I will be one of the bearded guys. LOL. Just kidding but i usually walk around with my wife so if ya see me say hello. ;)
  • Options
    Benn a busy week with set up and take down of equipment for pipe making seminar, a couple of the students made some outstanding pipes.
    Several of the more famous pipe makers drop by for moral support and a couple made pipes for the silent auction.

Had a great time this evening with an eclectic group of people from around the world.

Unbeknownst to me there is a ladies pipe club that meets each year at this event, they have several names but the one I remember is The Pipe Tarts--- picture included. they were all smoking pipes before I took the picture, The place where the picture was taken is a story by its self

There is so much more to say but I have to be there in the early am,

Some vintage tobacco we smoked from the 50s with a coupon inside that got you a free pipe if you mailed it in, the tobacco was surprisingly excellent

• Options
    I wasn't able to stay long at the pipe show this year. Made it on Saturday with only two hours to spare for the main hall. Thankfully, I was able to find more than what I wanted in that time. It wasn't easy, though. There's so much to see in the main hall, even if you have multiple days. Picked up two great Savinelli estates, and some tins I've been interested in.

Sorry I missed chatting with you all. I plan on making more time for next year.

How did the show go for everyone else?

• Options
    Thanks for sponsoring the slow smoke. That was my kick in the butt to finally join. Ha. 
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    Chicago Bowl for Virginia Fake Resuts

17 C&D Red Carpet
    32 Lane PS Luxury Navy Flake
    44 John Cotton Double Pressed VA Pipes & Cigars ** Winner of contest **
    56 Mississippi River Seattle Pipe Club
    64 Crumple Cake Red Virginia Sutliff
    FYI, the voting was very close.
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    I loaded up on my favorite from the Chicago Bowl, Lane's PS Luxury Navy Flake. Like others, I voted, but there more votes for the winner. 
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    Congrats, @mapletop.... keep it or not that's a beautiful bulldog!
  • Options
    @mapletop
    What kind of tobacco was used for the competition?
  • Options
    @mapletopb
    I’m not a big fan of carved/rusticated pipes, or bulldogs, but that is a pretty cool pipe, unique carve.  Was there an entry fee for the competition?
  • Options
    @mapletop That is one beautiful looking bulldog.

I didn't get much of a chance to look at the meer tables, but I saw that octopus one and almost took a picture of it. I'm glad you did and put it on here.
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    The entry fee for the slow smoke was $75 if you belonged to a UPCA pipe club. Otherwise, it was $85.  You would have a hard time finding an Amorelli pipe for less than $200.
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    I commissioned a meerschaum pipe, from one of the carvers that I know. He should send it to me in a couple months. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @Winton
    Thanks for the info.  Do you know what the tobacco was?   I was wanting to duplicate the tobacco and amount to give it a try solo at home sometime.  The chance that I ever get anywhere near a "slow smoking" competition is nearly nil.
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    The blend was:  2019 Contest Tobacco - Peter Stokkebye 301 Natural Dutch Cavendish. 

https://upca.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=90797&module_id=335975
  • Options
    Sorry guys for not answering your questions and thanks Mr. Winton for picking up the slack.
    I had a disk replaced in my neck and have been recovering.

I wanted to, and will present some further observations and insight into what it takes to do these shows, and some of the conversations I had with some of the leaders in the pipe tobacco industry.