Home General
Options

Chicago Pipe Show 2019

It is time to schedule your vacation to the Chicago Pipe Show, at Pheasant Run in Saint Charles. The event starts on Wednesday, May 1st. The big show is on Saturday and Sunday, May 4-5. I am predicting that the weather in the Smoking Tent will be cloudy the entire time!

The first event is the Pipe Finishing Seminar, on Wednesday and Thursday. For $125, you will be provided a briar block, with the holes drilled. Several top carvers will teach you how to turn this block into a pipe. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time sanding! There will also be an opportunity for several students to also attend a class on how to drill the holes for the pipe. The cost for both would be $175. 

If you are interested, please contact Craig Cobine, at PORSHCIGAR@AOL.COM to register and pay the fees.

Comments

• Options
    On Saturday night, there will be a dinner at the New Orleans ballroom at Pheasant Run. After this elegant meal, the new Doctors and Masters of Pipes will be presented. There will also be a raffle for several boxes of cigars. Please contact Craig Cobine at PORSHCIGAR@AOL.COM to register. Pheasant Run needs to know how many dinners to expect.

All prices inclusive of tax and service fee
    Traditional Garden Salad with Ranch and Italian dressing 

Beef Option
    Roasted Prime Rib of Beef 8oz Thick Cut Roasted to Perfection and served with Natural Au Jus and Creamy Horseradish Sauce  $49 

Poultry Option
    Chicken Alexandria Pan Seared and Brushed with Honey Mustard Crusted with a Mixture of Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds and Sundried Cranberries Set on Sautéed Baby Spinach Sauced with Calvados Buerre Blanc $46 

Seafood Option
    Salmon Americana  Pan Seared and Topped with Shrimp and Scallops with Lobster Crème $46

Vegetarian Entrée
    Roasted Vegetable Pasta Portobello Mushrooms, Zucchini, Asparagus, Baby Bok Choy and Grilled Artichokes Nestled on a Bed of Pappardelle Pasta. Complimented with a Sundried Tomato Asiago Broth $40

Dessert Options at alternating seats
    Flourless Chocolate Cake, Topped with White Chocolate Crème and garnished with Fresh Kiwi and Strawberries
    Cheesecake, Rich New York Cheesecake with Raspberry Infusion in a Graham Cracker Crust
  • Options
    Unless something gets in the way, I definitely plan on being at the show this year for at least Saturday.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @Winton Thanks for the details, do you know when they will be publishing the schedule for the show? @thebadgerpiper Hope to make it again and hope to see you there.  :)

• Options
    The show will be largely like previous shows, but with some variation. I will stretch out the information over the next four months, in order to keep people thinking about the show. 
  • Options
    Last year, I was rebuked (mildly) by Pheasant Run for smoking in the tent, right before the fire marshal arrived to inspect the tent on Wednesday morning. Some of the leaders start arriving several days before the first event starts. 
  • Options
    @Winton I hope I will be able to take off work and make it this year.
  • Options
    Winton Thank you  for the info this show is on my things to do list hopfully this year and maybe even take the pipe class if the time and money is available.
  • Options
    Gentlemen, Do you know someone that has been in the pipe community for at least 10 years, 45 years old or younger and worthy of recognition for their efforts to advance our hobby? If so, please nominate them for Masters of Pipes program. We need nominations for both those who work in the industry, and those who are involved in the pipe smoking / collecting hobby. Perhaps one of our Mods would meet this criteria.

The link below describes the program and the requirements. You make your nomination on this site also. 

• Options
    "45 years old or younger....."

Ageism?
  • Options
    We already have a Doctor's of Pipes program. The Masters  program is designed to honor the younger people in the hobby. It is fairly easy to find greybeards, in the pipe community. We are also trying to encourage the next generation. 
  • Options
    @Winton

Makes good sense!  Your pardon, sir.......
  • Options
    If you want to book a room at Pheasant Run, here is the booking link:

https://reservations.travelclick.com/2932?groupID=2012719

You could also call the hotel direct at 630-584-6300 or 800-474-3272
  • Options
    On Thursday, May 2nd, Sutliff will be presenting a seminar on blending tobacco, in the smoking tent. We are still working on the details, but it should be similar to the class from two years ago. Each student used clay pipes to taste each component tobacco, (YES! Straight Perique!) and then combined the components into his preferred blend. They used pressure to mimic the aging / blending process. Thus each student was able to tweak their blend to their liking. They went home with a large quantity of their special blend. (Don't ask how much, since I don't know.) 

We are working with Sutliff to iron out the details, like time, # of students, cost, etc. But, if you are interested in this event, please e-mail me at cpccdirector@gmail.com to register. Since this class will be limited to 10 people, (+/- depending on final decision), register soon.

I really wish I had the chance to take a class like this when I first started smoking a pipe. Why buy a blend that you won't smoke?
  • Options
    Pipe Finishing Seminar sounds interesting.
  • Options
    There are still opening for this seminar. 
  • Options
    Bucket list event! I don’t think this will be my year as I have a wedding the following weekend though. 
    Not sure about the requirement of 10 years but John David Cole of The Country Squire deserves this award as SOON as he is eligible. 
  • Options
    I just e-mailed him to see if he meets the guidelines. If he does, I will certainly nominate him. 
  • Options
    Just a note to TPL members that may be interested, it was noted at our last meeting that there are still some tables available for this years show
  • Options
    If anyone would like to have a table at the Chicago Pipe Show, please contact Craig Cobine at porshcigar@aol.com
  • Options
    The tobacco blending seminar will take place in the smoking tent at 10:00 am on Thursday morning. The cost will be $20, payable before we start. We have room for 20 people and six have already confirmed they want to participate. If you want to be part of this, please PM with your name and confirmation you will be able to attend. I will keep track of everyone, in case more than 20 people want to take part in the fun.
  • Options

THE CHICAGOLAND INTERNATIONAL PIPE & TOBACCIANA SHOW

2019 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

WEDNESDAY May 1, 2019

9 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required

12 pm Chicago Pipe Show 6,000 square foot smoking tent opens

THURSDAY May 2, 2019

8 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required

10 am Per Jensen Mac Baren Sutliff Tobacco Blending Seminar, Tent

FRIDAY May 3, 2019

8 am – 4 pm, Smoke and Swap, Tent (6 am vendor line up, 8 am set up)

9 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award for Virginia Flakes opens in the tent.

9:30 am – 4:30 pm Champagne Limo to Premium Outlet Mall, Hotel Lobby

12 pm – 5 pm Welcome Table, Hotel across from indoor/outdoor pool

3 pm – 5pm UPCA Annual Meeting, Ruby Room (Tower)

4 pm Mega Center Rich Esserman 1928 Dunhill Catalog New Printing Presentation Mega Center

7 pm – 10 pm Welcome Buffet Dinner, St. Charles Ballroom

7:30 pm presentations at Welcome Dinner

8:30 pm International Charatan Collectors Society, Ruby Room (Tower)

8:30 pm Ladies’ Tobacco Related Arts & Craft Program, Turquoise Room (Tower)

9: 00 pm The Making of the Peterson Pipe Book: The Story of the Peterson Pipe Book:

The Story of Kapp and Peterson.  This will be followed by the showing of the vintage Sherlock Holmes Movie, House of Fear and a contest to name the pipes in the movie: Mega Center

9:00 pm Tim West Pipe Repairmen Forum, Jade Room (Tower)

9 pm Rob Cooper (Coopersark) State of the Market Estate Pipes & Tobacco, Sapphire Room (Tower)

SATURDAY May 4, 2019

7 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center

10 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center

10 am Peterson Pipe Historic Display

9 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award for Virginia Flakes opens in the Show.

11 am – 3+ pm Silent Auction, Mega Center

12 pm Private Ladies’ Luncheon for Exhibitors, St. Charles Ballroom Salons 5 & 6

7 pm The Chicago Feast Banquet, New Orleans Ballroom, pre-registration required

9 pm Doctor of Pipes and Master of Pipes Meeting, Arnold Palmer Suite (Tower)

SUNDAY MAY 5, 2019

6:30 – 9:30 am Pipe Show Breakfast, St. Charles Ballroom, Salons I, III, IV

8 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center

9 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center

11 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award for Virginia Flake ends..

12 pm Show Awards Presentation, Mega Center

1 pm UPCA United States of America National Pipe Smoking Championship, Tent

MONDAY MAY 6, 2019

8 am – 12 pm Post Show, Terrace Café Area     

Please keep in mind that all of the above activities are subject to change or cancellation, even at the last minute, due to illness or unforeseen circumstances.

• Options
    It is presently around 8:00 am Wednesday 4/24, and the Smoking Tent does NOT open in exactly a week! It opens around noon, next Wednesday. Regardless of all the tables and comfy chairs already arraigned for smoking and conversations, the tent is not open until the Fire Marshall completes his final inspection. 

Don't ask how I know this. 
  • Options
    If you are wondering what to pack, it will be between 40's and 60's during the show. Since I don't like to use 4 letter words, I won't say what is supposed to fall this weekend. 
  • Options
    I will be there next Saturday. Anyone else from TPL planning on going?
  • Options
    I will be at the CPCC monthly meeting tonight, an Officers' meeting tomorrow, transporting things to Pheasant Run Monday / Tuesday, checking in on Wednesday, another officers meeting . . . . .

If anyone wants to meet me, I will probably be wearing a fishing vest. Find a show officer, with a red badge. He could contact me so, we can connect. 
  • Options
    Was there this morning setting up for the pipe making classes, will be there whole time.

thebagerpiper, I will be on the look out for you

Come all and enjoy
  • Options
    @mapletop If you see me, be sure to say hi. I'll be the guy with the sidestache.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I’ll be attending Thursday thru Sunday.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    Alas, I cannot go this year.  :'(  I just canceled my reservation at Pheasant Run. I used to live in St. Charles about 25 years ago, and I've always wanted to go back and visit. Oh well... maybe next year.