Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Favorite LOTR Themed Tobacco?

13»

Comments

• Options
    WrmillsWrmills Apprentice
    I'm agreeing with you about having them as aromatics. I just don't think they would be. Hobbits are too simple for that. 
  • Options
    I don’t really care about Hobbitses and the like.  Marketing is what it is.  I just like aromatics, and that Auenland “The Shire” is a very good Peach aromatic. Hobbitses simple? Heck, more like backwoods, they don’t even shave their feet😉
  • Options
    LutrasaurusLutrasaurus Apprentice
    Country Squire makes 6 Middle Earth themed blends. 3 of which are not aromatics. Bag End (Scottish), Green Dragon (Virginias), Kingsfoil (Virginia-Kentucky)
  • Options
    @Lutrasaurus -- TCS Bag End is one of my top 10 blends. I love how Virginia forward this blend is... very simple... very Hobbit-like.
  • Options
    I am almost to the end of my annual reading of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I'm struck by how few actual references to pipe smoking there are in the books. While the book does mention Longbottom Leaf being the best and names another tobacco as being not as good as Longbottom leaf (When Gandalf and the Hobbits are visiting the Inn in Bree just before they part company.)

• Options

Even if they came from Lothlórien: Cornell & Diehl Berries & Cream in a McQueen Wizard Churchwarden) 

Erin McRoy / May 25, 2014

Even though my tobacco arrived on Tuesday, I spent a few days curled up with my Cornell & Diehl Byzantium before moving on to the aromatics.  So I didn’t get around to writing this review until Sunday, and then was met with the choices of which tobacco to review.  Well, I only have one Churchwarden it happened to be Churchwarden Sunday.  Being a McQueen Wizard Churchwarden, I reserve it for the sweetest of aromatics, and good hobbit pipeweed, so I pulled out my three aromatic blends to compare them.

The bag note of the Berries and Cream is so sweet that I can hardly believe it is tobacco. The tobacco is a Black Cavendish and Burley blend, topped with vanilla and blackberry brandy, and they did not skimp on the casing.  Being totally honest with you, I’m tired of trying to claim that I am neither a Cavendish nor a cased tobacco fan.  Lately, each time I try them, they prove me to be a liar, and I find myself enjoying them.  So, this time we’ll see…

Despite that, the tobacco is not too moist and has no need to be aired before packing in your pipe.  The Churchwarden loads easily, and I tamp it with a wooden tamper that came with the pipe. With my limited mobility, Churchwardens are difficult for me to light, but I always enjoy a good smoke from them. This is where the title comes in.  The room note of this tobacco is so pleasing, that it would impress your in-laws even if they came from Lothlórien.

And the taste?  Well, let’s just say I can’t believe it’s tobacco.  It tastes like candy. I can sincerely see the elves of Rivendell importing tobaccos like this from Bree and other places in and around the Shire.  I wonder if this was what Tolkien was smoking as he put pen to paper to describe the various elven palaces in Middle Earth? The pipe, well, I love this particular Churchwarden to death, and it always gives me a good smoke, even if that smoke is always a dreaded aromatic.  And the tobacco?  Well, at least this time I’m not a liar.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and look forward to the next bowl.

The gurgle and the dottle were nowhere near as bad as I feared and the bowl smoked coolly with no need to re-light and not even a hint of tongue bite.  Smooth as Irish cream, and sweet as honey nectar. The only thing that I could say that could be considered bad about this tobacco is, it’s Cavendish and Burley!  In other words, though smooth and enjoyable, there’s no oomph, no power!  It just doesn’t satisfy that nicotine urge! But, if you’re not hoping for that nicotine rush, this tobacco is great, and I thoroughly recommend it.

And if you’re someone who believes in fairies, be they Sidhe or Alfar, bogguns or dwarves, it can’t hurt to keep some around for offerings, and who knows?  Elrond went somewhere, maybe it was to your house.  It would be nice to greet him with a bowl for his pipe when he gets here wouldn’t it?

Great tobacco! <shrug> still can’t get over my changed tastes.

• Options
    I've been thinking about this subject as I've been reading through LOTR books. If there is at least one thing I can be sure of is that JRR Tolkien smoked Capstan Original Navy Flake. So I'm just sticking with that! Haha. But when I take into consideration the comments previously about Hobbits being simple folk and so a straight virginia might come to mind, I also think about how the Hobbits had a huge love for mushrooms. Could it be that Hobbits would want and enjoy something more earthy?
  • Options
    @Oddjob27 I personally think Pappyjoe nailed it in his previous post, however you could be correct even though there is no evidence.
    I must say as I breezed over your post (first reading) I was aghast that you might be suggesting they (hobbits) were smoking psilocybin

• Options
    @mapletop - In a sense, I think @Oddjob27 and I are of the same mindset. In my opinion, the Hobbits were a simple people and would probably be smoking straight or single leave tobacco. Take for example the name of the tobacco, Longbottom Leaf. It isn't called Longbottom blend so it was just tobacco from Longbottom. 

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I enjoyed collecting the annual LotR tin series at the NASPC Shows before they got a cease and desist from the owners of the trademark/copyright.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    edited April 2019
    @daveinlax, can you post pics of those please?

• Options
    As Zathras would say, "Not the One," but here are some LotR themed mixtures.

ALSO take a look at...............................

http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_298_62
  • Options
    Tnx @motie2 Been interested in these blends for a while... You must have read my mind... 😲 Great time saver...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ -- As always, my pleasure to serve.....
  • Options
    Unfortunately the guy that was producing those referenced above is no longer in business.  Sad.
  • Options
    If the contents of the blend wasn’t discussed in the books it’s not a Lord of the Rings Blend.