Home The Lounge
Options

Creative Corner: Share your creative/artistic outlet

2»

Comments

• Options
    Here's my newest creation.  A name plaque. Made exclusively with,  and only with,  hand tools.  A draw knife,  hand plane, hatchet, and hand saw.  Was going to use the board for the pipe rack i was designing but the surface had too much knots and imperfections.  From log to lumber.  
  • Options
    Great basic tools, I have not seen in a while......
  • Options
    @motie2 i love everything about traditional wood working.  I want to,  before my time is up,  build a boat.  All by hand.  All from logs.  
  • Options
    @Jayhawk422 I agree, many of the members here have amazing woodworking talent. I kick myself in the ass all the time when I consider I could have taken Wood Shop in High School and at least got a fundamental education in the craft - and possibly went on from there to develop further skills. But instead I majored in Business Courses ... and ended up working in a steel mill. What a waste. Thankfully at the end of my career at The Mill I had an office job and those business skills did help. But I still wish I had taken Wood Shop.
  • Options
    @BlueCollarBastard -- Go for it!! Realize your dream!

I had a dear friend in Oregon, who fulfilled his long time dream..... the guy built a boat, whose hull was almost completely made from cast concrete. It was ugly as hell, but Kurt loved it and took it out on Coos Bay  a couple of times while I was visiting him. He also had a goat as a pet: looking into a goat's eyes -- rectangular pupils -- was a real trip.
  • Options
    I started my dream job last fall as artistic director for a small theatre in my town. I’ve been directing designing and building like a madman. These aren’t official production photos but ones I’ve taken at random points in rehearsals. These are from Sweeney Todd which I did tech, construction and lighting design for.
  • Options
    @BlueCollarBastard Got problems with the tendons in my hands so it's probably too late to try my hand at woodworking. I have a hard enough time pleasuring myself. Usually have to stop so many times between strokes I forget what I was doing - lose interest and watch TV instead.  
  • Options
    @ghostsopompeii -- My family coat of arms might as well have been Dieu et mon droit. 
    But, I'm easily distracted by bright shiny things and I forget what I'm doing.....
  • Options
    Drum machine and portable record player for making beats on the go  ;)

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Woodshop rocks! I like to tinker as well.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @Thomasgarvon congratulations! Getting the job of your dreams does not happen to People everyday. Most dread going to work. Enjoy this time and take it all in. 
  • Options

ghostsofpompeii

I grew up around Chicago and i seem to remember your band being on an album I just don't recall the station, that did the album, had to be one of these four, WXRT, WDAI, WLUP, or WCKG?

• Options
    I too am a musician among other things. Never made it on an album.
     However, I did, on occasion, play with some artists you would recognize if you listen to Blues. 
    Been playing 40+ years.
  • Options
    @mapletop It was actually radio station WKQX. They released a compilation of local Chicago area bands called "The Hometown Album". We were the only band from Indiana to make the cut. The band was called Vesuvius - and once the album came out the members we gutted to find out that the printers misspelled the name on the back of the album calling us Vesuvious. For a time we considered changing the spelling to what was on the back of the album to avoid confusion, then realized it would make us look foolish to intentionally misspell the name of a famous Italian volcano. And in the end it didn't seem to matter one way of the other. When-ever we played somewhere people knew we were the band on the album. There were some excellent bands on the album - but as is the case with us - I don't think anyone made much of an impact in the music scene afterwards. But it did manage to extend our 15 minutes of fame to about an hour. 
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited August 2018
    I have my own online publishing company. I create books, music, do photography, etc.

You can check out  my website @ www.siabuelita.com 

• Options
    Made all my previous hip hop albums available digitally on this website called Bandcamp. You can stream them for free!

https://siabuelitapress.bandcamp.com/

• Options
    @ocpunk714 Talk about bringing people from different worlds together - where else but on a pipe site like The Pipeline would you possibly find a hip hop artist and a progressive rock musician having friendly conversations.
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited August 2018
    @ghostsofpompeii I started playing music at a very early age. Hip Hop is definitely my bread and butter, but I actually started my musical journey with a cherry red Ibanez guitar. From there I moved onto bass guitar and the world of digital instruments. My favorite things are drum machines by a company called Akai which was started by Roger Linn. He developed a drum machine called MPC or Music Production Center. You can’t buy the hardware versions in stores anymore. They only make a software program with replica hardware that has very few of the functions.

I am also a rabid vinyl record collector. It’s how I extract live drum samples to make my own drum sets.
  • Options
    @ocpunk714 Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing - but I've been around long enough to have actually messed around with a Linn Drum machine. Back in the mid-70s' my band Vesuvius was lucky enough to have a recording engineer/producer take us under his wing, giving us access to his professional recording studio - and he had one of the original Linn Drum Machines for the studio. Which at the time was some ungodly sum of money like $3,000.00 or $5,000.00. Nothing you're average garage rock band could afford. Even though I no longer record I still have my home studio and in it two different drum machines that sounded pretty damn good back when I was doing my Ghosts Of Pompeii projects ... an Alesis SR-16 and my favorite, the Boss Dr. Rhythm DR770. And as technology advanced that Boss Dr. Rhythm sounds ten times better than the Linn drum at a fraction of the cost.   
  • Options
    My written testimony. From dysfunctional, degenerate drunkard to dysfunctional, degenerate trying to do right by God’s will. It’s a major struggle.

• Options

Ghostofpoppeii

I remember your band, Vesuvius, I grew up in Chicago
    The station that did the album, I think it was WXRT
  • Options

Ghostofpoppeii

The station that did the album I think it was WXRT
  • Options

Ghostofpoppeii

The station that did the album I think it was WXRT
  • Options
    @mapletop The station was WKQX. I wonder if the station still exists?
  • Options
    I have been woodturning for years. In recent years, I have been making mostly tampers. 
  • Options
    "Ghostsofpoppeii?" <Giggle>