Home Ask an Expert
Options

Does Your Pipe Gurgle?

We see this question pop up from time to time. Two novice pipe smokers asked me about it at the last monthly meeting of the New Orleans Pipe Club. 
Here's my take on the question....
https://pappyjoesblog.com/does-your-pipe-gurgle/

Feel free to subscribe to my blog. 

Comments

• Options
    @PappyJoe -- Another great posting at your website..... Thank you.
  • Options
    I agree. An excellent analysis of the problem by @PappyJoe. One thing to remember is that once gurgling begins during a smoke, it doesn’t go away. You might as well just stop right there, empty the pipe, and clean it thoroughly. Time to rest it if you can.
  • Options
    I have never had a gurgling problem with an EA Carey
  • Options
    This helped me out quite a lot. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    The only gurgling pipe I have happens to be my Peterson Jekyll & Hyde, and only then when I'm smoking a really moist aromatic.
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited February 2018
    When mine gurgles, I push a regular pipe cleaner down the stem to the bowl. Just kinda rotate it around while pushing back and forth gently. Helps me keep the bowl dry as much as it can.
  • Options
    One thing that can cause gurgling is excessive moisture from the mouth itself. Drinking lots of fluids,etc.
  • Options
    I've noticed the same thing Woods.  If and when I get a gurgler, I simply grab a pipe cleaner and run it down the mouthpiece into the chamber.

Bingo, Bango, Bongo, gurgle all gone.
  • Options
    I agree with @ghostsofpompeii.  If the tobacco is real moist, it tends to cause a gurgle in the pipe.  I personally like to dry out tobacco if it feels too moist after I open a tin.  For me, I think drier tobacco smokes better but that's my preference. 
  • Options
    im with these guys, you can absolutely get rid of gurgling, put a pipe cleaner from button to bowl and youre good to go! works every time for me
  • Options
    My Carey's seldom gurgle..... unless I drool into them whilst smoking.
  • Options
    I've designed my pipes to make it easy to pop the stem out (they aren't jammed down in the stem very far) and blow out the water in the stem.  Then an easy re-connection, and Bob's Your Uncle...
  • Options
    I agree with @Charles, dry tobacco smokes better, dry not crisp.
  • Options
    Perhaps "drier" or "less moist"??
  • Options
    I have had no problems with humidifying over dried tobacco, particularly during the summer. I put the over-dried tobacco in a glass jar and sprinkle it lightly with water. Close the jar, and put the jar in the sun for a bit and voila! even distribution of the moisture.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited March 2018

Another situation that hasn't been touched upon concerning the dreaded gurgle: I had 2 pipes that gurgled badly and went on an internet quest to find answers. I found an obscure article (obscure to me) pertaining to the relationship of the air-hole entry into the bowl. It stated that if the air-hole is too high from the bottom of the bowl, the pipe will probably gurgle. Taking the article at its word, I mixed the famous honey/ash "mud" and carefully applied it to the bottom of the bowl. I did this after first inserting a pipe cleaner barely through the hole to prevent the "mud" from blocking the air-hole. Low and behold, it worked! Those 2 pipes were cured of their problem. I can't claim to fully understand the mechanics behind the cure, I just know it worked. Since then I have had 2 more pipes plagued with the same problem that fit into that same category. Most recently was the Cortina sitter I refurbished. It worked! So if you have a pipe that gurgles and fits that air-hole position problem, give it a try. No guarantees, but it won't cost you much to try it.

Warning: Don't get the "mud" on your pipe... The finish will not like it / can be tough to get off...

• Options
    Pipe cleaner works great if the stem will pass the cleaner easily. I have several pipes that are difficult, especially the P-lips and a couple of "Imported Briar" pipes that have very narrow openings.

• Options
    For me, its depends of the moisture and how you pack your tobacco. If the tobacco it is dry, pack more tie (English for example) but if too moist pack more loose (Aros). Also, when/if my pipe start gurgling, I just run a pipe cleaner and the problem is solved.
  • Options
    God bless pipe cleaners. Rarely can a gurgle not be cured by a quick swab of a cleaner.
  • Options
    The bowls of my Careys are often wet after a dottle expulsion, which I attribute to the nature of the aromatic tobacco blends I smoke.... aros do that.

But the design of a Carey pipe 1) prevents excess moisture from reaching the pipe stem (and my mouth), and 2) prevents gurgling, so those are two pipe smoking side issues I do not have to deal with. [ -10pts.-- ending sentence with preposition. ]
  • Options
    I don't run into gurgling too often, but like some have suggested, running a pipe cleaner from the stem through to the shank will usually solve the problem. I also try to notice which blends gurgle in my pipes, and I'll try switching the blend with using a different pipe. Sometimes a pipe and a certain blend just don't mix well together, and a different shape will handle the blend better.
  • Options
    I have the worst luck when it comes to gurgle. It's really sad because I love bent pipes such as the 320 shape (Author). And all the pipes my grandfather passed down to me are bent. I've tried the Nording keystones, continuous pipe cleaners, balsa wood filters, and breathe method. May have to switch fully to straight pipes... Any additional thoughts? Maybe I should REALLY dry out my tobacco?
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @Oddjob27, just dry it out overnight.  I crumble up a bit and then let it sit.  Works pretty well.
  • Options
  • Options
    @Oddjob27 My Peterson Jekyll & Hyde has a serious gurgle as well due to the shape. And it's a bitch getting a pipe cleaner through it. I imagine most aromatics have a gurgling problem with certain shaped pipes such as the Full Bent and Oom Paul Hungarian ... as well as other odd shaped pipes like The Cavalier, Gourd Calabash, Blowfish, Pickaxe, and the Ramses. I have a pair of Oom Pauls that gurgle as well.

• Options
    Yes, specially the full bent pipes and Oom Paul (have 3 of them). When this happens, I tamp the tobacco and/or run a pipe cleaner.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Guys, you know a lot of this moisture is coming from water that is in the tobacco.  It may be unorthodox, and possibly harmful to the stem of the pipe, but sometimes I just pull the stem out, blow air through it, and replace it.  It takes a good bit of the water out of the equation...
    Just my 2 cents worth...
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited June 2019
    (You just knew this was coming.....) Uh, @ghostsofpompeii, I have two full bent EA Carey's and neither gurgles.... ever. In fact no EA Carey has ever gurgled -- That's the point of the Magic Inch and the papyrate.  :D

• Options
    @motie2 My Carey never gurgles either. Then again it's a straight stem. And a fine smoker as well.