Home Ask an Expert
Options

Does Your Pipe Gurgle?

2»

Comments

• Options
    So, is it the tobacco/pipe shape or is it the smoker? I always wondered if maybe it's just that I have a higher level of moisture in my mouth causing it condense more within the stem.
  • Options
    @Oddjob27 I'd say it can be a combination of both. Some of us are wet smokers and the problem can exist even in a straight pipe. I've often been told smokers should keep their tongue away from the draw hole when smoking as it pushed the moisture in your mouth down the stem. And as with many of us we're usually drinking something when we smoke anyway. So that can add to the moisture level in your mouth. Then of course a great many aromatic blends can contribute to the moisture and gurgle. As much as I love blends like Molto Dolce it can leave a wet goopy mess in the bottom of the bowl, which will be a contributing factor in that annoying gurgle. It's best to always have a pipe cleaner at hand while smoking to alleviate the problem. For me running a pipe cleaner down the stem a time or two is as much a part of my smoking ritual as tamping down on the ash throughout the smoke. I don't even give it a second thought. 
  • Options
    @Oddjob27 I have a Big Ben Ebony bent pipe that instead of gurgling ... it has a strange whistle. The only way I can silence it is by using a 9mm filter. And I hate using a filter. It changes the flavor of the blend about midway through the smoke. So if left with the choice of a pipe with a gurgle or a whistle ... I think I'd rather have the occasional gurgle. At least that can be rectified with a pipe cleaner.

• Options
    Ron191Ron191 Master
    There is always the alternative of buying a pipe with a military bit. The tenon is tapered so you can break it down hot to store it in your pocket out of harms way or clean it while smoking. It ain't a perfect solution but it is an excuse for a new pipe.