Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Rattrays Exotic Orange

So when I got home today about 1300 or so, I find in my email a message from Smoking Pipes notifying me of the Exotic Orange being back in stock as I had left a request to be notified.

I jumped right on that email. It showed it got to my inbox about 1115 or so, and by about 1330......gone. So the lesson I took from that is it does NOT pay to go to work. Damn.

Comments

• Options
    That's insane. But in my defense I only order 2 tins at 10:45 am this morning.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

That's alright Senior Chief......you deserve it. I wonder how many tins they had? They sure went pretty quickly.

Enjoy.....
  • Options
    I MAY be able to work a deal for you.
    I heard from Arango almost 2 weeks ago that Exotic Orange was on their shipping manifest but it hadn't arrived yet. I told the guys at my local B&M because I know they order from Arango and asked them to order me a couple of tins. If they get any in, I'll let you know.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

Pappy, that would be wonderful......thank you.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe @Woodsman Never tried it... Never heard of it... You shouldn't shoot a man for ignorance. Stupidity... maybe, but not ignorance. So fill me in. Obviously comes in a tin - how about bulk? Cost? 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ  - 
    Rattray's Exotic Orange is one of those blends that is generally out-of-stock 51 weeks during the year. It's produced for Rattray's by Kohlhase & Kopp in Denmark or Germany, and like all of the blends made by Kohlhase & Kopp it is a very high quality tobacco blend. It contains Black Cavendish, Burley and Virginia. According to tobaccoreviews.com 
    it is flavored with floral essences and fruit (citrus, mango, maple & orange). 

I first found it in 2015 and liked it. Bought another tin in 2016 that I have been hoarding because it was supposedly not going to be available in the U.S. In Europe, the name was changed to Exotic Passion. I have never picked up the floral essences when I've smoked it. I find it to be sweet and citrusy when smoking and can identify the Virginia tobacco when smoking it. What room note I get, and from what I've been told by those around me, it is more honey and orange than anything else. Other people may get some of the different notes.

What I've smoked fresh needed to sit out and dry for 10 or 15 minutes before lighting. The tin it comes in is not sealed so it must be checked for moisture level and jarred quickly. 

Some people who don't like it say it has a cloying aftertaste. I've never noticed it.
  • Options
    Thanks @PappyJoe for the info. I've never seen it at P&C, even though they carry the Rattray line. I guess that's why I was surprised when you guys were talking about a blend I didn't know existed. Thank you again. I'll try to start keeping my ears to the ground for availability. Question: I have to assume that Exotic Passion is the same blend, just a different name...? 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ -- Correct. See http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10652/rattray-exotic-passion and especially the graphic, which reads exotic orange......
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I hate conversations like this because it automatically triggers a 'call to action' response in me. And for some unknown reason I find myself prompted to purchase a tin of Exotic Orange as though my life depends upon it. It's a similar response that prompted me to stock my cellar with more tobacco than I'll be able to smoke in a lifetime after learning about the impending FDA Deeming Regulations. It's an apparent character flaw and knee-jerk reaction that leads me to believe (right or wrong) that someone is trying to keep me for having something. So I feel compelled to get it at any cost. Now I have no idea what Exotic Orange taste like, and until now had no desire to buy it. But once I learned how difficult it was to obtain it, and started looking around for it from different on-line tobacco retailers ... it's only then that I went into panic mode.  

WHY? Because I'm an idiot! 

Something similar happened when I discovered Dunhill was getting out of the tobacco business. For years I never tried "Early Morning Pipe", "Night Cap", or "Ye Ole Sign" and then suddenly I had this uncontrollable urge to get a couple of tins. Thankfully a couple of unwelcome 'nic hits' from tobacco I already own made me reconsider my desire for "Night Cap" and "Early Morning Pipe". 

Must be some deep seeded emotional scar dating back to when my parents refused to buy me something I really wanted as a kid. Can't think of what that might have been. Maybe a pet dinosaur or time machine. I remember both items being high on my Christmas 'want list' that I never received. Guess I'll add a tin of the elusive Rattray's Exotic Orange to the list. All three are items I probably wouldn't really want once I got them.        

• Options
    Ghostsofpompeii

When you figure out what that syndrome is, and what you can take for it, let me know because I have the same illness. I believe it is called "supply and demand", or perhaps more easily put "we got it but we limit it so you have to have it at almost any price".

I too never got a dinosaur or a time machine.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Don’t worry. They were sold out in less than 2 hours. 
  • Options
    Borkum Riff issued a Honey and Orange that I ordered through P&C, I liked it so I tried to order more, no good. So I heardof Rattray's Exotic etc. , not available. I finally found Holger Dansk Original Mild Orange described as from Virginia Tobaccos with a touch of Black Cavendish and Orange bouquet. I really enjoyed it so much so that I ordered more. The orange stays present to the end and the Virgnias are mild and sweet. A really nice tobacco. I may not ever taste Rattray's Exotic but this Danish creation is one I'll keep around.
  • Options
    Good tip @Woodsman I'll put that on my list as well..
    And thanks @motie2 for that confirmation concerning the two name question... And the link...
  • Options
    My pleasure, sir.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii many pipers felt the same way about Penzance.  When it supply became low, almost everyone realized they couldn't live without it and bought up everything in stock.  Now, f you can find any, the cost is outrageous because of the demand.  Same with pappyvanwinkle bourbon.  
  • Options
    @motie2 I never get tired of watching that!  Thanks!!!
  • Options
    @motie2 Thank you, great to see again.
  • Options
    THank you for the shout out @Woodsman. How are you doing? My sciatica is a little improved, but still painful.....
  • Options
    I think that issue is law of scarcity.... Maybe FOMO.
  • Options
    @thelavendergoat eh? Well then, welcome to our little karass.
  • Options
    @motie The Surgery healed OK but, it looks as if I have to go in for another Cardioversion as I went into Afib. early Sunday morning. Getting old etc. etc..
  • Options
    @Woodsman - Hope all goes well for you.  Wishing you a speedy recovery and sending prayers your way.  Stay strong young man!
  • Options
    @Woodsman I'm keeping you in my thoughts and hope all goes well. You're right about one thing ... getting old is a real bitch. But let's do everything we can to get even older still.
  • Options
    "Life sucks, and then you die."
  • Options
    Got my two tins of Exotic Orange yesterday. On of the tins had a card in it.

I've always gotten the orange, Passion Fruit and the Golden Virginia but never really picked up the Maple Syrup. In fact I've always thought it was honey. 
    These two tins are now in mason jars and sitting in the back of the "cellar." I am now smoking a bowl of my Exotic Orange from November 2016.
  • Options
    Ya Know @motie2 I've had my ups and downs but life has always seemed a good thing to me. I never expected to make it to this age and each day I wake up is a pleasant surprise. I'm scheduled for my umpteenth Cardioversion Feb.2nd, the previous one lasted about 2 years and we'll see how this one goes.
  • Options
    @Woodsman

I am not sure what that is, but I will pray for you my friend......

• Options
    @PappyJoe et.al. ----- From Smokingpipes.com on 1/24/18