Home General
Options

When the Weather Outside is Frightful: Creative Locations to Smoke

Comments

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii It's not as bad here, 12 F tonight and dropping lower each day for the next week or so. Going to wait till tomorrow daytime with the sun shining on the porch it should get above 30 F.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Do you have a usable cellar/basement in your house that you can convert to a smoking room?  How about space outdoors to maybe build a small enclosed structure that can be heated.  Would save you from having to deal with the cold everytime you want to smoke a pipe.
  • Options
    I'm moving into a new home soon and have gained permission to have an office/designated smoking room from my wife. I'm hoping to get a nice leather chair and at least one smoke eater and diffuser to insure maximum comfort.
  • Options
    @Charles I've got a crawlspace but there are currently about two dozen hitchhikers buried down here, and it can get a little creepy smoking down there with them around. 
  • Options
    It's in the single digits in upper Illinois tonight. I'm bundled in layers, wearing my thickest winter coat, with my pipe hanging from my jaw underneath a hood. Normally I have an iced drink with me, but tonight I have hot chai tea to accompany me. I know I'm crazy, but it's not too bad in here...
  • Options
    7° when I woke up this morning. High was 14°, right now @ 11pm it's 10°. I give my pipes a rest and thorough cleanings during these episodes. I guess it's times like these that makes me appreciate a bowl when I am able to have one...
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Sorry to hear that.  You should have cremated them.  Ashes to ashes, you know? All they are would be dust in the wind.
  • Options
    In the garage with a large propane patio heater!
  • Options
    Come on, Spring
  • Options
    It's been crazy cold in Oklahoma this past week (we're not used to single digit lows). Anyway, I'm now smoked in my garage and at a local cigar bar. Any other creative locations you all have found?
  • Options
    Well, yesterday NC got blasted pretty good. It's only like 14 degrees early this morning but should be in the 40s and 65+ this weekend. Currently, under state of emergency since snow is so heavy, trees and power lines are down. 
  • Options
    Yikes, @Londy3!! I assume you still have power if you're posting to TPL. :wink:
  • Options
    Yeah @jfreedy, power flickering a little but we are still good. However, many other areas have been out of power. 
  • Options
    There are positives and negatives to smoking in the house. Sometimes I wish I could, but my wife absolutey forbids it. In fact, each time I return home my local pipe shop, I walk into the utility room from our attached garage, immediately strip down naked right there, throw my clothes into the washer and head directly to the shower. Even though I have done all of this, my wife comments on how disgusting of a habit my pipe smoking is and how badly the house smells when I come home. The other day I thought how nice it would be for a group of us to go in on a shared simple fixer-upper to use as a smoker's paradise. Some comfortable seating, a nice big screen television, a refrigerator, microwave, and and coffee maker is all we'd need to complete the package. I don't think I would enjoy a good smoke alone in my garage, but I can appreciate why it has to be that way for a lot of men. For me, smoking pipes is made complete when accompanied by good converation among other pipe smoking men. 
  • Options
  • Options
    I am fortunate and very grateful to have access to a local pipe shop with a smoking lounge. Pipes and Pleasures in Columbus, Ohio is a really great place to meet and socialize with other pipe smokers. I enjoy the people and our conversations. Pipes and Pleasures stocks an amazingly diverse assortment of pipes and cigars; likely the best in Columbus. Iris, the shop's owner, has done a lot over the past year to make the lounge even more comfortable for by adding leather seating, tables and chairs for card games, a big screen television, WiFi, and more a advanced air purification system. The only negative aspect of Pipes and Pleasures for me is I'm not fond of cigar smoke. I have nothing against cigar smokers, I just I find cigar smoke to be a bit too odorous for my liking. Pipes and Pleasures is the only place of its kind in Columbus. If you're ever in the Columbus area, plan for, or save a bit of time to come over for a bowl or two; you'll immediately feel at home. Who knows, you may even be lucky enough to visit with pipe carver Chuck Sands or renowned carving artist and legend - Rosewitha Anderson of S&R Pipes. 

I took the photo of the pipe smoker and it was enlarged for a ladies night event at P&P. 

• Options

This first photo is of Iris, the owner of Pipes & Pleasures. She is smoking a pipe made especially for her by Rosewitha. The second photo is of Rosewitha Anderson. Each of the photos I am posting are original pipes carved by Rosewitha and feature one of the many pipe smokers who are part of the pipe family at P&P. I took each of these photos as part of a photo portfolio project I did called "Pipes and the People who smoke them." I'll add a few more photo in another posting. 

• Options
    Howdy, @jshaw1957 -- Welcome aboard!

• Options
    I've been out on the porch trying to make more organized, when the Sun is out it's warmer today.
  • Options
    For all your troubles, you present the appearance of an untroubled soul. Be strong, and of good courage!!
  • Options
    I have a screened in back porch which makes smoking enjoyable for about 10 months of the year in Kansas. When it's too cold or windy to enjoy the back porch, I just jump in my car and go for a leisurely ride to enjoy a bowl.  I've considered turning a bedroom or my office into a smoking room, but I haven't figured out all of the details for exhaust, etc.  The wife isn't a huge fan of pipe smoke so I'd need to make sure the smell didn't permeate. Until then, I really do prefer smoking outdoors. 

@motie2 I was reading earlier posts in this thread and saw you grew up on Lake Erie. Are you familiar with Bradford, PA? That's my old stomping grounds. Home of the Zippo lighter is our claim to fame. 
  • Options
    @jshaw1957, Those are great photos, I have yet to make it to Pipes &Pleasures, I go to the NASPC show every year but never have a chance to go, glad to meet another Ohioan, I'm in Cleveland.
  • Options
    Once I come home from the pipe shop, I go directly into our utility room from the garage, strip down, throw all of my clothing into the washer and hit the shower. With all of these tactical moves, my lovng wife still says the the house stinks of smoke. I bet 'm not the only man who does this in order to keep the peace at home. If I chose to smoke in the garage, I'm confident the smoke would make its way inside my wife's SUV and into the house.

Work around solutions:
    1. Like many of you, I take advantage of smoking in my car. On long drives, when I'm alone in my car, I crank up some great blues music (pumping through 10 Bose speakers), fire up a pipe and truely enjoy my life. 
    2. On occasion I go to a state park just down the road from my house. I park my car, light up a pipe, read a book and do my best to avoid looking like a pervert.
    My wife still isn't overwhelmingly fond of my car's smell, especiall when we're headed to church, but afte all, it is my car. I use a smoke eating spray and it helps significantly. It sounds as though we all find our own creative ways to enjoy our pipes, and those who have wives or signifant others who hate pipe smoke, we make it happen somehow.
  • Options
    @jshaw1957 - with all due respect and not intending to be overly insulting, but your wife is suffering from a paying to much attention to anti-smokers. Sure, you go into a room which is constantly filled with cigarette smoke and you will smell it. Go sit in a cigar bar for two or three hours and the smell of cigars will cling to your clothes. 

But unless you are smoking pure latakia, the aroma from a session of pipe smoking can be as pleasant as sitting in a garden filled with flowers. Smoke some aromatics and don't tell her you went to the pipe shops and she may ask you what cologne you are wearing (assuming you wear any). 
  • Options
    @jshaw1957 - Welcome to the group by the way.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe you make a great point.
  • Options
    @jshaw1957 - Welcome to the group!
  • Options
    For the most part I do smoke aromatic tobaccos, but there are many regulars at the pipe shop who smoke cigars. Cigar smokers generally outnumber pipe smokers on most days. My pipe tobaccos and pipes sit out in our family room. When I'm watching television or doing something else in that room, I can smell the fresh aromatic tobacco blends and get this happy feeling and urge for a smoke. I recently purchased a tin of Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky. I have to say it doesn't have a very pleasant aroma, but its a good smoke. I keep this tin in a cabinet so its smell doesn't overtake the whole room. I also put pipe(s) I have just smoked in the utility side of our basement until they dry out. In my opinion, a freshly smoked pipe tends to have a rather unpleasant smell. All in all, my wife is a pretty good sport about my hobby. Recently, out of nowhere, and for no special reason, she surprised me with a really nice leather pipe case. It has room for two pipes and pockets for a pipe lighter, a tin of tobacco, pipe cleaners, and a pipe tool. So, I think she's coming along. 

A funny story: When I bought my first pipe (a beautiful hand made Italian Stefano Santambrogio) I bought it from Pipes and Pleasures. Before leaving the store, I asked if they carried any type of spray that would help to dissipate the smoke from my clothing, etc.. The only spray they had left in stock was called, "Hippy Love." You can imagine what images this provoked in my wife's mind. Pipes and Pleasures combined with Hippy Love spray translated into a pipe shop with "happy endings" in the "so-called" pipe lounge. We still chuckle over this today. Well, the lounge does provide a happy ending to at least one part of my day, but this happy ending is an entirely different kind of happy. I hope you enjoyed my little story. 
  • Options
    @pipeman83 If you go to NASPC Show, I have a friend that often has a display there named Debra Taylor, tell her Woodsman says hi for me please.