Home General
Options

When the Weather Outside is Frightful: Creative Locations to Smoke

jfreedyjfreedy Master
edited October 2017 in General
October is typically my favorite month to smoke a pipe outside. However, bad weather is just around the corner. Where do you typically smoke when it gets nasty outside?

Comments

• Options
    I have an unheated porch that I go to dressed for the weather. I sit out there at night with my earphones on for an hour or so. I also smoke in my car while driving.
  • Options
    Usually in the garage. Right now the weather is terrible, it's been storming all day and into the night. We're expecting 50 mph sustained winds, so I can expect a lot of tree limbs down tomorrow. Wen it's raining like this I enjoy opening up the garage door and watching it storm - no mosquitoes to get into the garage. Wish I had a screened in porch, attached four seasons room, or screened in gazebo.
  • Options
    @Woodsman I also have an unheated enclosed porch that I bundle up and use. I'm going to try putting a small space heater out there and use it as my "fireplace". I may also try using the workshop corner of my garage using another "fireplace" near a low side window. I need a man cave!...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ I also have a small heater for the single digit or - 0 nights.
  • Options
    It doesn't get that cold here so probably continue on my porch. Dead of winter is only 40-50s so it's not a big deal. 
  • Options
    Bad weather down here is normally bright, sunny 95 degrees with 90% humidity (except for nasty little hurricanes). I either smoke late in the day or in my garage during on the hot days. When it rains, I smoke in the garage.  When it does get cool, or what passes as cold in south Louisiana, I have sweaters and coats.
  • Options
    (Got to get me a heater for the garage.....)
  • Options
    @Londy3 @PappyJoe You guys are killing me...
  • Options
    randellirandelli Enthusiast
    @PappyJoe I always heard Louisiana has 2 seasons - Summer and Christmas...
  • Options
    @randelli -- Now, THAT'S funny.
  • Options
    The garage is my pipe smoking sanctuary all year long. So when the Chicago winters bear down around me, I'll trudge through the snow and hide away in my garage with my portable heater. If the weather reaches below 10 degrees, then I'll wait to have a pipe until it gets warmer out. Thankfully, the past few winters haven't been too bad. But during the polar vortexes, I just stayed inside. My pipes will wait for me.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper Just proves a point I try to make to non-pipesmokers. Pipe smoking is not addicting as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes circumstances prevent me from pipe smoking for 3 or 4 days and, although I miss it, I'm not climbing the walls or anything. As you said, this is especially true during stretches of unusually cold weather. But then, that maybe just me...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ Thank you, it's a point I make sure to stress to people when they find out I smoke a pipe. As pipe smokers, we're lumped together in the minds of the public with cigarette smokers and the need to have a smoke on a regular basis. It was even one of my concerns when I did my research into pipe smoking before taking up the pipe, as did my wife. When I go on vacations, for the most part, I make it a point to leave my pipes at home, so people can see that I don't have cravings or withdraws.

Do I wish I could smoke my pipe or miss it when I can't? Absolutely, but honestly I'm glad I can take a break here and there and not be a prisoner to my hobby.
  • Options
    Yeah, we have it pretty good down here in the south. It's green and sunny and golf courses are open year round. But February is our dreadfully cold month, usually in the 40-50s. Then we plant our gardens end if February sooooooo.....gotta stay on top of things around here. :)
  • Options
    Three straight days of rain..... drat
  • Options
    I live alone so I smoke in my house.  When it rains or snows, I watch from my enclosed porch while enjoying my pipe or a cigar and a cup of coffee.
  • Options
    Today's weather in SE Louisiana - the expected high is 75 degrees.
    Louisiana has different seasons - Hot, Cool, Hurricane, Duck, Deer, Football, Christmas & Mardi Gras. 
  • Options
    I have a shed. When the wife is mad, when it's too cold to stand in the wind, and if I just need peace & quiet.
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    Years ago when I lived in colder climes I got the following advice from a cigar shop owner. Get a fire-proof chair. Buy a small, very small, space heater. Get a fire resistant blanket, dense wool is good. Put the space heater under the chair and the blanket over the whole set-up. You may also need a good winter cap, and some fingerless gloves. Set the space heater to low. It truly works. I'd add, keep a small fire extinguisher handy. Never hurts to be extra safe.
  • Options
    :)@mseddon You weren't having an affair with the cigar show owner's wife were you? Sounds to me like he was trying to kill you.
  • Options
    Living in Florida I really don't have problems smoking outside,even during Irma I was able to sneak out a few times.You fellas that live in cold weather will probably laugh but it does get cold here on occasions,when you're living in temperatures in the high 80s,90s, and 100 degrees almost year round and the temperature drops 30 or 40 degrees you will feel it.I guess that's why I like smoking my pipe when it's somewhat cold outside.I just feel pipe smoking is made for cool or cold weather.
  • Options
    Try moving to North Dakota; I did, for two years. 

You'll know what cold is really like and you'll never look at, say, 20 degrees as being cold ever again. I pulled my eldest to school on a sled at forty below.
  • Options
    Yer killin' me...... 

• Options
    CACooperCACooper Enthusiast
    As nice as my accommodations are, it does get a bit lonely. Unfortunately, living in the Mormon stronghold of Utah, absolutely none of my neighbors indulge in the evils of tobacco and fine spirits. We’re not church members so we’re effectively shunned. Nothing more than an occasional wave. A little like-minded  company would be most welcome. But, could be worse. There is hope, as a local pipe club is trying to form on FB, “Utah Pipe Smokers”, so things may hopefully improve soon. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    @CACooper, I wish you were closer to Atlanta.  We could have a real party!!
  • Options
    I just smoke in my apartment.
  • Options
    @CACooper It's like @motie2 said... You're killing me! I have a plastic chair next to a cracked window in a space about 2 x 2 in my garage. If I put a TV out there, I wouldn't have any room to sit!...