Home The Lounge

Driving & Pipe Smoking

Comments

• Back when I was a Tig Welder and worked a local job, I did some pipe smoking on the drive to and from work. I felt it distracted my driving, mainly while I was trying to tamp. The frustration led me to eventually realize that I was not experiencing the relaxation that I usually get while smoking and not in a vehicle.

Nowdays if I smoke while driving, it is always a cigar. If I get the cigar lit properly, I rarely ever need to even it up with the torch, and it's a much more relaxing experience for me.

• @xDutchx I usually do my relights when I stop, I DG a pipe when out of the car and light up when I'm rolling again. The pipe relaxes me if I'm stuck in traffic. I don't smoke cigars any more even though I started smoking with them when I was in the 8th grade (Havatampa Jewels, 5 cents each.)
  • @Woodsman, I hate to break it to you, but I've got you beat. Here I am reading Hemingway and smoking a Cuban at the tender age of 4.......

• @xDutchx, wow!!!  I think you even started sporting the beard as well
  • @Londy3, Yep, I like to think that my early start led to early facial and chest hair. Nowdays, hair doesn't grow where it is supposed to, and has started growing in places where it is a real nuisance. I still have my inspection mirror and an old set of Klein's left over from my days as a Tig Welder that I try to stay on top of the situation with.
  • I had an elderly neighbor who -- I swear -- could have braided his ear hair.
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2017
    LMAO guys... your killin me..
  • Just bought a new car. I know I shouldn't, but I'm having trouble smoking my first bowl in the car. I smoked all the time in the car I just traded,  and I've never had any trouble with ghosting, but for some reason I'm hesitant to partake in this new car. The first thing I think I'll do is put a seat cover on the driver's seat. I have had close calls in the past with ash carelessly finding its way between my legs and causing me to use upholstery cleaner. Maybe once the cover is in place, I'll feel more comfortable smoking in the car...  Wish me luck...
  • I'm with you on the seat cover, I've drilled a hole or two in the seat from a flying bits.
  • But what about the smell? Are you concerned the car may eventually stink and you'll never get it out? Flying Ash is a huge concern for sure I get it. It can also perminately damage the look of the interior where hot embers land. Smoke smell can't be seen but it can cause it's own form of unpleasantness. Your thoughts?
  • Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    In my youth, I often smoked my pipe while driving a Triumph TR3 with the top up and the side curtains off.  Don’t recall flying ash as being a problem, and there were certainly no lingering aromas in the car.  After a bit of practice, I was able to relight as necessary.  Fortunately, in those days there was no such thing as distracted driving.
  • @Topaz75 $0 years ago after Midnight I owned the road so a little distraction( Like a hot clinker from my pipe on my pants.) didn't usually get you in trouble. Now, with Urban Sprawl and the over crowding of Suburban Towns I run into traffic jams at 2 AM, so I will pull over for incidents now.
  • I still smoke while driving only I make sure the windows are all up to prevent the breeze from whipping hot coals around. One car has a Moon Roof which I open a little to draw out the smoke.
  • Guys
    Between smoking cigars and my pipes in my truck, my truck has what I describe as a heavenly aroma (NOT ODOR). When on occasion my wife goes somewhere with me in my truck, she always says "eew, it stinks in here". I just smile and think about possibly putting a folding beach chair in the bed of the truck, it is not winter just yet......and I just smile a big old smile.

I do a consulting gig about an hour from my home, returning there the week after next for 2 weeks. I leave my home about 0530 so I can leave the office around 1500 or so. I go flying down and back up the Parkway both AM and PM puffing away and listening to great music.....makes me pumped for starting the day, and happy when the day is over.
  • I load my pipes I am taking with me so all I have to do is light them. Its no problem lighting them while driving. So my suggestion is to always load your pipes before traveling. 
  • @TheAdmiral -- That, sir, is an obvious, but probably underemployed, good idea. Thanks.
  • I just can't break my rule of no smoking in the car. I never have let anyone smoke in my car my entire life. Don't want to risk my CTS to stink of stale smoke. 
  • @Londy3 I'm afraid I'm with you. I smoked in my last car. I had a good technique down that kept the aroma from lingering in the car. The problem was when a car pulled out right in front of me and caused me to lose some bowl ash on the seat. Yep, small hole burns and discoloration all but ruined the seat. I just bought a new car and, to my dismay, I am refusing myself to partake of the pipe in the car...
    I guess a good asbestose seat cover might change my mind... :)
  • Just for the record. A new car loses a third of it value the minute you first drive it away from the dealership. 
  • @PappyJoe, yep I get it. However, thats only if you buy new. I never do that.  I let someone else take the beating the first 2 years. I also hang on to my showroom condition ride for 8 or 10 years as well. I'm not one to switch up every three years because of a new model. Screw that. 

@KA9FFJ, that sucks man. That's what I fear if I smoke in the car. I keep my car so clean, waxed, conditioned and all...it makes me feel good to drive it. It's a sexy ass car so, I'm not doin it.
  • @Londy3 my wife wouldn’t appreciate me smoking in our family cars. I hope down the road to have my “own” vehicle to smoke in.

However, Monday through Friday I get to smoke in my work van and love it. Not too distracting. I prep and light before pulling off, and only need to tamp or ash occasionally. Usually at a light. 

Downside? A few burn holes in the seat and a few uniform shirts...
  • I barely put any miles on my cars and the 2007 Sonata we've been driving only cracked 50,000 miles about a month ago. But even though it only had 50,000 miles it was ten years old and out in the weather all that time so it finally started nickel and diming me to death. About two weeks ago I went into the shop for brake issues it turned out the brake line rusted out and was leaking, which explained why the brake light came on again after spending almost around $800.00 on new brake shoes, rotors, calipers and pads about two weeks earlier. To install a new brake line system would cost me $1300.00, so my wife and I decided it was time to move on. I figured if the brake line had rusted out, what other line under my car would follow suit? This time out we decided to lease a new Sonata for three years ... so I seriously doubt I can smoke in the car since it's leased. I've never really smoked in the family vehicle - only my work car. And since retiring I haven't had a need for a second car, so I don't smoke in the car at all, so it's not an issue of smoking is banned in leased vehicles.    

• @PappyJoe My fault for not being more specific. My "new" car is a 2017 dealer car. Got 10 thousand off the MSRP, but to me it's still "new"... This time next year I'll probably be puffing away as I travel down the road. But for now... I can't bring myself to do it...
  • @KA9FFJ, especially when it still has that new car smell.....
  • @Londy3 Yeah, and mine did/does...
  • My personal car is the 2003 Subaru Forester which some of you may remember from my post "YEEOWCH! I'm still driving it with the dented in roof from the gift from my 70' Black Walnut, somehow I don't believe my smoking in it will drop it's value much.
  • @Woodsman, wow! Yikes!  Yeah, I'd smoke in that too. Now you can fully enjoy your Subaru without worrying about personality adding to depreciation. 
  • @Woodsman Good thing the car didn't have a sun roof otherwise the damage would have been inside the car as well as outside.
  • Hmmm, a can opener, plexiglass and duct tape?
  • @Woodsman If that's black walnut, you may be able to make some tampers and by selling them help to finance the repair of your car. My estimate calls for about 4,000 tampers sold at $2.00 a piece... :)