Home The Lounge
Options

Driving & Pipe Smoking

Ok, I am not a fan of anyone smoking in my car. I never smoked in my car and don't want to perminately stink it up. I have always had nice cars and love to drive them around town all waxed up and stuff.  As relaxing as it is to drive on a nice day with the sun roof open, tunes cranking, sit back and just cruse...I'd love to smoke my pipe too. Last week while very reluctant to do so, I gave it a shot. I tried to enjoy and have fun but it became more of a hassel than I thought. I had the roof open so smoke would not linger.  It seemed to work.  

Do you smoke a pipe in your car?  
How do you do it?
Is it safe or do you get detracted?
Please share your experience and any advise you may have.

Comments

• Options
    Do you smoke a pipe in your car?  Did for a while, but it was a distraction.
    How do you do it? The usual way.  ;) 
    Is it safe or do you get detracted? It wasn't a distraction often, but it was a distraction.
    And then there was the hot embers blowing backwards very occasionally......

Please share your experience and any advise you may have.
    @Londy3 -- Like you, I like the idea of smoking while driving, but the negatives ("stinking up the car" and the distraction factor) mitigate against doing it.

Not worth the trouble. IMHO.
  • Options
    Back when I had a work car I smoked in it all the time. But now that I only have one car that both my wife and I use ... it's a no go.
  • Options
    I used to smoke cigarettes awhile back so when I quit I noticed that smell lingering in my car and found it to be quite unpleasant. So when I finally got another vehicle I decided I just wasn't going to smoke in it period. Well as time passed I was getting into the cigar smoking hobby and so I ended up smoking one or two in my car and the smell didn't really linger passed a few days. But then I picked up the pipe hobby and that was a wrap for me. 

I did good for about a month in the beginning, but I have a decent commute on the way to and from work so one day I gave it a shot, and I believe it was L1Q. Wasn't too much of a struggle and it stayed lit fairly well. I cracked the windows and it didn't cause too much of a hassle. But when I returned to my vehicle and the room note lingered... I was pretty much sold that I was going to be okay with smoking my pipe in my car. 

After trial and error I found tobaccos that "linger" well and those that don't. And that of course is according to my preference. Virginias work wonderfully. I only smoke one aromatic at the moment and that's Old Church from the McClellands Ashton revival series and that leaves a great room note. Also Briar Fox isn't too shabby. 

As as far as keeping it safe I prepare everything I'm gonna need for the trip. Lighter(Zippo) and Czech tool within reach. Pipe packed up. And I always get my lighting ritual done and make sure my pipe is going before moving. I'll also bring a slow smoking tobacco or one of my larger bowls to make sure it lasts the commute. I usually have one or two relights but that isn't a hassle, there's always a red light or a stop sign. And if my bowl finishes before the end of the commute I put down the pipe in one of the cup holders provided and dispose of the ashes when I'm home or at work. 

Now I smoke with my windows up unless it's a blend that provides a lot of smoke output. I haven't found it makes a mess really but nothing I can't vacuum. And since my windows are usually up there are no flying embers burning holes in my seats. No complaints on the smell from the wife or other passengers. I guess it all really depends on what you want your car to smell like. As for me.... I just really love smoking my pipes and I had all that wasted time between work and home in which I could partake. So, I did and never looked back. 
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    I will occasionally smoke a pipe while driving. I've gotten pretty good at
    filling the bowl with a codger stuff using one finger.And after almost
    40 years of manual labor my fingers are scuffed enough I can tamp with
    them when needed.Lighting comes at the aforementioned stop sign or
    stop light.And I have a Swiss BBK with wind cap so embers aren't a
    problem.Also the wife and I both smoke cigarettes so the lingering
    room note from my pipe is actually an improvement.
  • Options
    trhotontrhoton Newcomer
    @Londy3 I smoke my pipe while driving. I usually prep a bowl and light before i start my morning or other commute. I use a lighter weight pipe with a deep bowl about 3/4 full and clench it when i drive for comfort. If i have to relight i use my trusty zippo. Usually pack on a strait away. If a long drive I usually go ahead and prep my second one if i stop somewhere.
  • Options
    JLTRowJLTRow Newcomer
    I have enjoyed a pipe on my way into work a few times and I really enjoy it. It gives me a chance to relax without spending time away from family. I love the beard and car notes. The smell is also gone before I get home for my wife to complain about it.

I pack and light before I pull out. The tamp and relight as needed in calm traffic. I just crack the windows to clear the smoke but not enough to cause the pipe to get hot or worry about flying embers. I've heard the suggestion of a wind cap if needed but I have not needed it yet.  Give it a shot and let us know what you think.
  • Options
    My first attempt was very distracting and I could not relax and enjoy the ride. I had the air on with roof open to avoid lingering smoke in the car. Again, was not comfortable the first time. Wind cap sounds like an interesting idea.  Looks like you can also relight with it on if needed...no? 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    Yes, but you have to be careful not to touch the windcap after you've done it...... yeeeouch!
  • Options
    JLTRowJLTRow Newcomer
    @Londy3 Agreed, the first one is a little awkward. I over thought it the whole time. As I do it more (had another on the way in this morning) the more comfortable with it I get. I'm sure, and I hope, it won't replace the back porch, feet up, nothing to do but think, breath and enjoy the smoke, smoke! But it does let me enjoy it more often without anyone complaining which was the goal. Enjoy the ride and the smoke!
  • Options
    trhotontrhoton Newcomer
    I agree with JLTRow the first time was distracting as i was swerving around but like with anything you do you develop your routine and then its easy!  
  • Options
    I have smoked a pipe in my truck but I always fill the pipe and light it before starting. I will also open my window about a half-inch as well as the passenger side rear window or the little middle window in the back. I do the window thing because I found smoking with my window completely down means a lot of wind blowing through the window and both blows ashes around as well as creating a draft affect which burns the tobacco hotter and faster.

Doing it the way I do also means that the wife can get in the truck and can't tell that I've smoked in it.
  • Options
    Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) that is where I smoke a good deal of the time....in my truck. Not having the inside of my house as an alternative, it is either outside of my house or my truck. I actually look forward to going somewhere by myself because I can enjoy my pipe. Usually as a one light piper, I don't need to deal with relighting except on occasion. I do have plenty of burn holes on my sweatshirts, tee shirts, and jackets however.

• Options
    I smoke in my old Subaru, it's 14 years old and it's been subjected to some inciDENTS during those years.(See Yeeowtch!), I preload my pipe and light it during a stop or rolling, with all the windows up and blowers off. Once lit I drop the windows a little and turn on the AC/Heat if needed. I use a Linse Pipe Lighter with the flame at 90 degrees and close to the tobacco, I use my fingers as a stop so the lighter doesn't burn the rim.
  • Options
    I used to but not anymore because I have a brand new 2017 Toyota Camry and I will never smoke in it, if I had money to burn I would buy a used pickup truck and use that.
  • Options
    Does anyone notice smoke smell that remains in the car or no?
  • Options
    @Londy3 It all depends on what tobacco you smoke. I smoke in my car sometimes if I am coming or going to my local pipe shop. I exclusively smoke McClelland's 5100 in my car, on occasion I will smoke a vanilla aromatic. I have found that these types of tobaccos leave no lingering smell. I also turn my air conditioning from recirculating the air in my car to blowing in air from the outside, and I roll all 4 of my windows down. As I live in the city, I find that I rarely exceed speeds that would cause me to have to deal with embers flying all over the place.
  • Options

I sometimes light a pipe before getting in my car. I partially open the driver window while making sure the rest of the windows are completely rolled up. That seems to cause at least most of the smoke to travel straight to the open window and out. As I get close to arriving to my destination, especially my home, I open all windows for a minute while slowing down to a stop. I always leave my windows open while parked in the garage. My wife has a nose like a hound and I have never heard her complain about residue pipe smoke smell.

I must say that I am a much patient driver if I am smoking a pipe. For a change, I don't seem to care how long it takes me to get to my destinations...

• Options
    Tobacco smoke will eventually "Ghost" a car, Turn your air on full recirculating and spray a scent remover of your choice straight into the Air inlet. Pretty well removes it. 
  • Options
    My pick-up has one of those little sliding windows in the back. I will slide it open an inch or two and then open my window about an inch. All the smoke is pulled out the back. I generally only smoke aromatics when I'm driving. Once had the wife asked if I had a vanilla air freshener in the truck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I drive a Cadillac CTS and really don't want any ghosts to linger. I may just opt out since I'm not burning a bowl that often anyhow. Maybe 4 per week. 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ I agree with you about patience. Back when I was smoking a pipe I didn't find myself subject to road rage. And as long as I had my pipe I didn't mind  waiting for a long train to pass.  
  • Options
    I think it interesting that I have smoked in the house a number of times and it doesn't smell like anything.  Nor has anyone else said anything. But some of you say it stays in your car, why is that?  
  • Options
    Maybe its the type of upholstery, headliner, etc. that soaks it up. I don't really know - only guessing...  
  • Options
    As my car is a work car
    I smoke in mine but never in the wifes car.
  • Options
    All I can say it I know for sure the nasty smell of cigarettes lingers, stains and never comes out or goes away. Cigars, the same thing. They smell better initially, then the smell gets stale and nasty too. Pipes so far in my limited experience has, been a good experience. They smell pleasant from start to finish and the smoke dissapates in the room. So far, I have no lingering stale smell in the room at all.
  • Options

@Londy3 Is there a particular blend you tend to smoke more often than most? With the success you're having with smoke dissipation, I may need to try your blend...

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2017
    @KA9FFJ, one thing to keep in mind I think is frequency. I don't smoke my pipe everyday. I smoke the following as my favorites, to name a few:
    Orlik strong dark Kentucky
    Orlik golden sliced
    LL7
    HH dark Kentucky
    1-q
    Cult BRM
    Captain Black
    Wild Hare

• Options

@Londy3 NICE blends! About the only time I smoke some of those "pricey" blends is when I get free samples on-line or at the St. Louis Pipe Show... I particularly enjoy LL7, 1-q and Captain Black. My grandfather owned a tobacco farm in Kentucky and I guess I got used to the cheaper side of the weed.  He was a Burley and Virginia grower and the closest thing I have found to his blends, believe it or not, is Virginia Gold blends. I know they're cheap, but they suit my taste buds while reminding me of my grandfather and being on the farm... 

Don't get me wrong, I smoke other blends as well. But V.G. blends are my base. I recently acquired a pouch of Erin Go Bragh (Irish Whiskey) through Pipes and Cigars. It was on sale for 3.99 with free shipping so I added to my order. Smoked my first bowl yesterday and I will probably be adding it to my tobacco rotation.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I appreciate it...

• Options
    Enjoy The Journey
    by Daniel Bumgardner at Smokingpipes.com
    Monday, September 18, 2017

<<What are cars, if not smoking parlors on wheels? For many, automobiles and smoking go hand in hand, a notion that pre-dated Alfred Dunhill's "Motorities," and the aptly named "Windshield Pipe." But what is it about the daily commute that seems to beg for the presence of a pipe?

One possible explanation is that a pipe elevates our drive to the realm of the contemplative, allowing our thoughts to coalesce with intermittent puffs of smoke as they swirl around the cab. A less romantic answer would be that the pipe is a distraction from the mundanity of travel, a modern-day pacification akin to a stress ball or the godforesaken fidget spinner. For those who aren't fortunate enough to smoke at work, the commute could simply provide the ever-valuable resource we all seem to lack in this modern age: time. Of course, as pipesmokers we tend to put more stock in the former, or we wouldn't retreat to the driveway for a smoke before bed. Whatever our motivation in making the pipe a part of our daily commute, it was a fortuitous development that the advent and mass production of vehicles provided us with a convenient locale to sit, think, and, of course, smoke our pipes.

So, as you're enjoying a pipe on the way home today, try taking a little detour if you can, maybe park and listen to the radio or watch the sun go down. Take some time to go nowhere in particular, and just enjoy the journey.>>

• Options
    Did just that, smoked my pipe driving in the hills and pulled over to admire the view.