Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Cellering For the Future

Does anyone cellar any blends that they know they don't like right now, in hopes that they will sometime down the road?

Comments

• Options
    For me, if I see a great deal I almost always buy it, even if I don't currently enjoy the type of blend. To me tobacco is like wine, I see my tastes developing over time. 
  • Options
    Nope. If I don't like it, I see no point in buying it just in case. I'd much rather spend my money on things I know I enjoy. I have been at this long enough that I know, for example, that anything more than a whisper of perique is not going to work for me, so why buy Escudo?
    Now, if I am trying a new Virginia, I might buy two tins, and plan to cellar one, but that's a different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    I do. I cellar quite a few straight virginia blends, even though I'm not a huge virginia fan. A) I know they will cellar very well over time B) I have been around pipes long enough to know sooner or later, you become a virginia fan.
  • Options
    I have jars of Bijou and of Sixpence that I've cellared because I didn't really care for them at first. I had a couple of others but I traded them for blends I like better at a pipe club meeting.
  • Options
    Good to know I'm not crazy!
  • Options
    Rshey1Rshey1 Apprentice
    edited September 2017
    I've been smoking a pipe for almost 2 years now, and I've cellared a lot of tobacco. After listening to a podcast, they said some tobaccos Should not be cellared. I know Virginia's Do well.  What do you guys think should never be?
  • Options
    Some say Aro's but I came across a tin of Niemeyer Irish Aromatic that I bought in 1975 in Ireland because I forgot to pack my 8 oz. tin of OKC. It was very dry, I re-hydrated it and it tasted fine.
  • Options
    1. Some people cellar because they want to age the tobacco. 
    2. Some people cellar because they see a story about the FDA and decide to buy before it disappears.
    3. Some people cellar because they just keep buying pipe tobacco they want to try and stash it until they remember they have bought it.

I have been told the last two are example of hoarding.
  • Options
    2PappyJoe   I think I fall under #2 but a bit of #3 creeps in as well.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I was looking at the tobacco I have and was wondering if you know how to date a trial size tin of dunhill. 
  • Options
    @Corey562 are there any stamps on the back
  • Options
    @PappyJoe no I pick it up a while back and have done a little research but cant find anything on it.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2017
    For some reason I cannot put the attached text into this message box, so I've attached it as a .pdf.

Very strange.
  • Options
    Some tobaccos improve with cellaring, @Rshey1 , while others stay the same or decline. Virginia tobaccos, especially, because they are higher in sugars, change the most, and generally, it is agreed, for the better. So blends with a high percentage of good quality Virginas will do the best. Burley are low in sugar; they don't change much. Some aros will decline due to the toppings not lasting.
    This is, of course, a general rule; there will be exceptions. YMMV.
    The blends that I am deliberately aging are all high-quality Virginia blends that I like a lot.
  • Options

If you spend anytime on YouTube you already know THE END IS NEAR. So no need thinking about long term cellaring. I had to take a break from YouTube because every time I logged on I was informed of a killer asteroid, Planet X, the eruption of the volcano in Yellowstone, the massive earthquake on the west coast, or the actual weather phenomena happening all over the planet which is signaling the end of the world as we know it. I had to get away from all the gloom and doom and watch the Jimmy Stewart movie "HARVEY" - about the invisible rabbit - not the hurricane. 

• Options
    I keep telling myself "That's enough." But I still order something for the Cellar at least every other month.  I have been able to keep my PAD under control the last 6 months, but if I'm getting low on supplies; I might as well order a pound of something as well. 
  • Options
    https://thepiperack.blogspot.com/2009/01/tobacco-cellar-what.html

Here are some tips on aging/cellaring your tobacco.
    #1: When you find a blend you like it is always good to pick up 1 can to smoke now and 3 or more cans to cellar; one can to smoke 6 months later, one can to smoke 1 year later, and 1 or more cans to smoke 5-15 years later. Most major changes occur after the six month mark then the changes are more subtle and take longer to occur. There are general stages: 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years - all of which will show distinct changes but after five years the process will slow significantly.
    #2: All tobacco does not age the same or does not deliver the same bang for your buck in terms of aging. Virginias and Perique blends will age most wonderfully. Beyond that you have Turkish and quality Orientals that will do alright, and possible Latakia though not great. Aromatics may or may not age it all depends on the casing which is responsible for killing the early aging process. Just not a goodcandidate.
    #3:  Tin vs. Bulk Storage and Aging. The best way to age tobacco is to buy it in a sealed tin and keep it sealed. Bulk tobacco simply doesn't offer the same results. Once you expose them to air the aging process is cut but not all is lost. If you find a tobacco you like you may buy in bulk and if its still fresh you can break up the tobacco and transfer it to air-tight jars like Mason or Ball jars. Make sure your tins are stored in a cool and dry place...you don't want rusting...nothing worse than aging a tin for 10 years only to pop it open to see it ruined by a hole due to rust. No need to refrigerate the tobacco either which may cause damage to the cell structure of the tobacco anyway.
    DO NOT vacuum seal! Bad idea all around. You need some oxygen to maintain the aging process so stick with any air-tight jar and you will be good to go.
    Also I prefer to store bulk tobacco in smaller jars of 8oz mainly because you are gonna want to test them over time and if you put all your tobacco in one large jar once you open it you are stuck smoking the entire bulk you stored for aging even if you think its not quite ready yet. Whereas if you spread it over several 8oz jars you can smoke up on 8oz jar and leave the other jars for another date should you need to.
    #4 Ok you have finally aged a tin of tobacco for six months and you are ready to sit down to smoke it. Before you do though you should go out and purchase a fresh can of the same tobacco so you can notice the changes, especially if this is your first time or you are not yet familiar with the subtleties of the tobacco you are smoking.
    #5 Need a way of tracking what tobacco is in your cellar? There is a free online tool that allows you to enter all the data about your tobacco and begins to track the age for you. Plus this will allow you and your friends to see what you have in your collection and aging. Everyone I know uses this online software at http://www.tobaccocellar.org

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2017
    I am having trouble posting in only this folder. Weird.
  • Options
    Pwkarch,
    i was just reading your post with my wife beside me. I started to laugh and after she asked me what was so funny, a quick nervous sweat trickled my brow. Not five minutes ago we got into a discussion of how I needed more drawer space (my big mouth sputtered)... she started pointing at drawers saying “what’s in that one,” “what about those,” and so on. Embarrassed to say I started making stuff up... because she has no idea how MUCH tobacco I actually possess and most of the space in those drawers are occupied by this brotherhoods common interest. Luckily she didn’t open them or MUCH longer conversation would have unfolded. Needless to say - I share in your compulsion. That damn shipping break gets me every time... even when I only went on to buy some pipe cleaners and A tin. Out loud I will tell myself (to which I have even stated while staring at myself in the mirror), “ you have GOT to stop buying tobacco.”
  • Options
    I find myself laughing a bit every time I see the title of this thread, i.e., "Cellaring for the Future".  Makes me wonder if somewhere out there are folks who are "Cellaring for the Past".
  • Options
    My research has indicated that aromatics are not good candidates for aging/cellaring.
    Do any of y'all have any info on this?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2017
    [System glitch deleted]
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2017
    [System glitch deleted]
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2017