edited November 2017
    [System glitch deleted]
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2017
    [System glitch deleted]

• Options
    https://thepiperack.blogspot.com/2009/01/tobacco-cellar-what.html
    Here are some tips on aging/cellaring your tobacco.
    #1: When you find a blend you like it is always good to pick up 1 can to smoke now and 3 or more cans to cellar; one can to smoke 6 months later, one can to smoke 1 year later, and 1 or more cans to smoke 5-15 years later. Most major changes occur after the six month mark then the changes are more subtle and take longer to occur. There are general stages: 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years - all of which will show distinct changes but after five years the process will slow significantly.
    #2: All tobacco does not age the same or does not deliver the same bang for your buck in terms of aging. Virginias and Perique blends will age most wonderfully. Beyond that you have Turkish and quality Orientals that will do alright, and possible Latakia though not great. Aromatics may or may not age it all depends on the casing which is responsible for killing the early aging process. Just not a goodcandidate.
    #3:  Tin vs. Bulk Storage and Aging. The best way to age tobacco is to buy it in a sealed tin and keep it sealed. Bulk tobacco simply doesn't offer the same results. Once you expose them to air the aging process is cut but not all is lost. If you find a tobacco you like you may buy in bulk and if its still fresh you can break up the tobacco and transfer it to air-tight jars like Mason or Ball jars. Make sure your tins are stored in a cool and dry place...you don't want rusting...nothing worse than aging a tin for 10 years only to pop it open to see it ruined by a hole due to rust. No need to refrigerate the tobacco either which may cause damage to the cell structure of the tobacco anyway. > DO NOT vacuum seal! Bad idea all around. You need some oxygen to maintain the aging process so stick with any air-tight jar and you will be good to go. Also I prefer to store bulk tobacco in smaller jars of 8oz mainly because you are gonna want to test them over time and if you put all your tobacco in one large jar once you open it you are stuck smoking the entire bulk you stored for aging even if you think its not quite ready yet. Whereas if you spread it over several 8oz jars you can smoke up on 8oz jar and leave the other jars for another date should you need to.
    #4 Ok you have finally aged a tin of tobacco for six months and you are ready to sit down to smoke it. Before you do though you should go out and purchase a fresh can of the same tobacco so you can notice the changes, especially if this is your first time or you are not yet familiar with the subtleties of the tobacco you are smoking.
    #5 Need a way of tracking what tobacco is in your cellar? There is a free online tool that allows you to enter all the data about your tobacco and begins to track the age for you. Plus this will allow you and your friends to see what you have in your collection and aging. Everyone I know uses this online software at http://www.tobaccocellar.org
  • Options

Here are some tips on aging/cellaring your tobacco.
    #1: When you find a blend you like it is always good to pick up 1 can to smoke now and 3 or more cans to cellar; one can to smoke 6 months later, one can to smoke 1 year later, and 1 or more cans to smoke 5-15 years later. Most major changes occur after the six month mark then the changes are more subtle and take longer to occur. There are general stages: 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years - all of which will show distinct changes but after five years the process will slow significantly.
    #2: All tobacco does not age the same or does not deliver the same bang for your buck in terms of aging. Virginias and Perique blends will age most wonderfully. Beyond that you have Turkish and quality Orientals that will do alright, and possible Latakia though not great. Aromatics may or may not age it all depends on the casing which is responsible for killing the early aging process. Just not a good candidate.
    #3:  Tin vs. Bulk Storage and Aging. The best way to age tobacco is to buy it in a sealed tin and keep it sealed. Bulk tobacco simply doesn't offer the same results. Once you expose them to air the aging process is cut but not all is lost. If you find a tobacco you like you may buy in bulk and if its still fresh you can break up the tobacco and transfer it to air-tight jars like Mason or Ball jars. Make sure your tins are stored in a cool and dry place...you don't want rusting...nothing worse than aging a tin for 10 years only to pop it open to see it ruined by a hole due to rust. No need to refrigerate the tobacco either which may cause damage to the cell structure of the tobacco anyway.
    DO NOT vacuum seal! Bad idea all around. You need some oxygen to maintain the aging process so stick with any air-tight jar and you will be good to go.
    Also I prefer to store bulk tobacco in smaller jars of 8oz mainly because you are gonna want to test them over time and if you put all your tobacco in one large jar once you open it you are stuck smoking the entire bulk you stored for aging even if you think its not quite ready yet. Whereas if you spread it over several 8oz jars you can smoke up on 8oz jar and leave the other jars for another date should you need to.
    #4 Ok you have finally aged a tin of tobacco for six months and you are ready to sit down to smoke it. Before you do though you should go out and purchase a fresh can of the same tobacco so you can notice the changes, especially if this is your first time or you are not yet familiar with the subtleties of the tobacco you are smoking. #5 Need a way of tracking what tobacco is in your cellar? There is a free online tool that allows you to enter all the data about your tobacco and begins to track the age for you. Plus this will allow you and your friends to see what you have in your collection and aging. Everyone I know uses this online software at http://www.tobaccocellar.org  
  • Options

#1: When you find a blend you like it is always good to pick up 1 can to smoke now and 3 or more cans to cellar; one can to smoke 6 months later, one can to smoke 1 year later, and 1 or more cans to smoke 5-15 years later. Most major changes occur after the six month mark then the changes are more subtle and take longer to occur. There are general stages: 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years - all of which will show distinct changes but after five years the process will slow significantly.
    #2: All tobacco does not age the same or does not deliver the same bang for your buck in terms of aging. Virginias and Perique blends will age most wonderfully. Beyond that you have Turkish and quality Orientals that will do alright, and possible Latakia though not great. Aromatics may or may not age it all depends on the casing which is responsible for killing the early aging process. Just not a good candidate.
    #3 Tin vs. Bulk Storage and Aging. The best way to age tobacco is to buy it in a sealed tin and keep it sealed. Bulk tobacco simply doesn't offer the same results. Once you expose them to air the aging process is cut but not all is lost. If you find a tobacco you like you may buy in bulk and if its still fresh you can break up the tobacco and transfer it to air-tight jars like Mason or Ball jars. Make sure your tins are stored in a cool and dry place...you don't want rusting...nothing worse than aging a tin for 10 years only to pop it open to see it ruined by a hole due to rust. No need to refrigerate the tobacco either which may cause damage to the cell structure of the tobacco anyway.
    DO NOT vacuum seal! Bad idea all around. You need some oxygen to maintain the aging process so stick with any air-tight jar and you will be good to go.
    Also I prefer to store bulk tobacco in smaller jars of 8oz mainly because you are gonna want to test them over time and if you put all your tobacco in one large jar once you open it you are stuck smoking the entire bulk you stored for aging even if you think its not quite ready yet. Whereas if you spread it over several 8oz jars you can smoke up on 8oz jar and leave the other jars for another date should you need to.
    #4 Ok you have finally aged a tin of tobacco for six months and you are ready to sit down to smoke it. Before you do though you should go out and purchase a fresh can of the same tobacco so you can notice the changes, especially if this is your first time or you are not yet familiar with the subtleties of the tobacco you are smoking.
    #5 Need a way of tracking what tobacco is in your cellar? There is a free online tool that allows you to enter all the data about your tobacco and begins to track the age for you. Plus this will allow you and your friends to see what you have in your collection and aging. Everyone I know uses this online software at tobaccocellar.org
  • Options

#3 Tin vs. Bulk Storage and Aging. The best way to age tobacco is to buy it in a sealed tin and keep it sealed. Bulk tobacco simply doesn't offer the same results. Once you expose them to air the aging process is cut but not all is lost. If you find a tobacco you like you may buy in bulk and if its still fresh you can break up the tobacco and transfer it to air-tight jars like Mason or Ball jars. Make sure your tins are stored in a cool and dry place...you don't want rusting...nothing worse than aging a tin for 10 years only to pop it open to see it ruined by a hole due to rust. No need to refrigerate the tobacco either which may cause damage to the cell structure of the tobacco anyway.
    DO NOT vacuum seal! Bad idea all around. You need some oxygen to maintain the aging process so stick with any air-tight jar and you will be good to go.
    #4 Ok you have finally aged a tin of tobacco for six months and you are ready to sit down to smoke it. Before you do though you should go out and purchase a fresh can of the same tobacco so you can notice the changes, especially if this is your first time or you are not yet familiar with the subtleties of the tobacco you are smoking.
    #5 Need a way of tracking what tobacco is in your cellar? There is a free online tool that allows you to enter all the data about your tobacco and begins to track the age for you. Plus this will allow you and your friends to see what you have in your collection and aging. Everyone I know uses this online software at tobaccocellar.org
  • Options
    Topaz75

Only those who have, or have access to a time machine

• Options
    I have a "good problem" that needs creative solution. I now have so many pipe tobacco jars and tins that I'm having trouble storing them all on one shelf. I've seen Muttnchop's soda crate solution but my squatty pint jars won't fit. Any other creative solutions out there?

• Options
    @pwkarch and @Cruxsearch, I suggest you hire me to help you resolve your issues.  First, pack up all your bulk stuff and send it to me. Then we will practice saying the word "No" every time you want to purchase new tobacco to replenish that which you have sent me.  OK? Sounds like a good strategy to me. B)
  • Options
    @jfreedy I to have a lot of jars I keep them in the bottom of my pipe rack all total its about 40 jars and some tins for the bigger bulk I have jars that will hold about a lb or so. What doesn't fit in the cabinet is stashed in a ceader chifferobe.
  • Options
    A couple of years ago, Hobby Lobby was selling wooden footlockers of various sizes. The wife bought me one for Christmas and that's where I keep the tins and jars of tobacco for aging. It's sits on the floor under my desk. I also have a Rubbermaid ice chest that I use as a cigar humidor. Then there is my filing cabinet which has one drawer filled with jars of bulk tobacco and another drawer that holds Bourbon, Scotch, Gin, Rum and Tequila. 
  • Options
    TAD is insidious, one of the things that I do to reduce it is to search for sales and report them on forums therefor relieving my TAD impulses by helping others to excercise  their TAD impulses, Actually, I'm 76 and not seriously thinking that I can use up what I have already. I've started going into the dusty recesses of boxes and drawers and clearing the detritus of never gonna use stuff. I have a couple of containers of Snuff(Real snort up your nose type.) from when I thought I'd try it. I'll ship a container out to the first takers.
  • Options
    HawkeyetedHawkeyeted Newcomer
    edited December 2017

I know this probably goes against conventional wisdom, but in my experience cased aromatics age just fine, especially if it's a VA based aro blend.   It's propylene glycol "topped" aro's that tend to sour or lose flavoring, so be sure you know what you're storing.

The casing freely exchanges with the tobaccos natural sugars and mellows over time. An example, I aged about 8 oz. of Dan Tobacco "Sweet Vanilla Honeydew". It's syrupy and cloying when it's first opened, and when you can keep it lit, it tends to burn hot and bites like the dickens. However, age it for a few years (in my case 5 years) and the whole blend mellows. The Virginia's mellow out and burn much cooler, taste much sweeter, and the vanilla casing creates an amazing supporting role of a toasted marshmallow. I've had similar luck with Blue Note and Peterson's Sunset Breeze.

I make it a point to find cased aromatics that people complain about being too wet, syrupy, hot, what have you, and let them age for a few years. I haven't been disappointed yet in the outcome.

• Options
    @motie2 As far as aros cellering, the only positive is it tends to help the drying out process,and maybe, just maybe adds a little body to the tobacco... At least that's my experience...
  • Options
    I actually have more experience with English blends and VaPers, from my first pipe life.
    I've only been smoking aromatics since the fall of 2016, and I know what I like.
  • Options
    @motie2 Agreed. Pipe tobacco is so personal since it's based on individual tastes. If a person tells me to try a blend because HE likes it, I probably will. But if a person tells me to try a blend because I will like it, that argument doesn't stand for the very reason I gave at the beginning of this post. I'm going to try some BP because YOU like it, not because you said I'd like it. Does that make sense?...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ -- You are correct, Sir!
  • Options
    After a few months here on the site you'll begin to see who has a similar flavor profile as your own and it's easier to pull the trigger on one of their recommendations. For example, there are a few blends that @Motie2 and I may slightly disagree on, namely East India Trading Company "Officer's Club" (I love it - while he sent me the remainder of his tin ... and once again I loved it) but for the most part we seem to share the same taste in tobacco. I've loved every blend he recommended. Where as YouTube Presenter Bradly of Pipe & Stuff (or Things ... I can't remember)  has a more discriminating palate for non-aromatics and English blends, so he's not someone I'd take advise from when it comes to recommending a new blend.   
  • Options
    Didn't much care for Russ's Warm Up blend, which @ghostsofpompeii enjoyed, if I remember correctly ..... another example of the De gustibus non est disputandum (De gustibus non disputandum est?), is Latin for the aphorism, "Regarding matters of taste, there can [should?] be no argument."

Yet, as Ghost affirmed, above, we have very similar tastes in pipe tobacco. I'd also guess that Ghost is slightly more tolerant of Latakia and/or Perique than I am this time around. Whereas I used to love both, now I don't care for either one, to say nothing of SWMBO's preferences (demands?).
  • Options
    UPDATE

Four years later, I’m back into Latakia (via Balkan blends) and into Perique (as  condiment in Russ’s Magnum Opus). But I still like a variety of aromatics. I often season a bowl of aro with a pinch or two of a Balkan blend.
  • Options
    @motie2 I have a question by some add chance do you happen to have and Gorgorath mature spun Virginia in that cellar of yours.
  • Options
    @Corey562

No, I don't. In fact, I don't have a cellar, per se. Just five of these, filled with tobacco.

• Options
    @motie2 I hear ya well if by some chance you happen to come across any i am always on the look for it. It was discontinued in 92 and I am down to my last couple of tins 😁
  • Options
    @Corey562

Pretty good Black Metal band, btw.
  • Options
    Not my stash......