Home General
Options

Pipes and Wives

13»

Comments

• Options
    The wife tolerates it, but I don't smoke inside.  I have a nice 3 season room that is the dedicated "lounge".  She's supportive of the hobby, but doesn't want to be part of it, it that makes sense.  I run a pipe club and get my socialization that way.  Also, the dog knows that when I go to where my pipes and tobacco are kept, that it's time to go outside.  So it all works out.  Cheers gents!
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    My wife is asthmatic and allergic to smoke. No smoking in the house. Smoke in garage, then me in shower and clothes in wash. Otherwise she doesn't mind. Really doesn't care what I smoke, since the smoke itself is the issue.
  • Options
    Very Nice, Great Good Luck with it.
  • Options
    We've been contemplating a move for some time now - and have nearly settled on the idea of a condo, and my wife has been looking for a place that allows pipe smoking - or at least has a back deck or balcony so I can smoke outside. So she does support my hobby ... and wants me to continue enjoying it.
  • Options
    I've been lucky I suppose because my girlfriend allows, enjoys, encourages, and even participates in my pipe smoking. She even gifted me her Grandfather's pipe tamper when we first started dating.
  • Options
    JLTRowJLTRow Newcomer
    I'm blessed that my wife is at least tolerant of my relatively new hobby. She does not like the smell, so our typical agreement is that I will shower and brush my teeth before interacting with her. This morning, I smoked a bowl on the way in to work so that I can enjoy the aroma all day and we'll see what she thinks when I get home. I do plan to go to the gym today so the smoke may be the lesser of the evils. In general though, she hasn't complained about money or time spent, so I'll take it!
  • Options
    In my first pipe life, SWMBO was more accepting of my pipe smoking.
    I was allowed to smoke in the house (but not Latakia  or Perique ), and we managed to have two children.
    Now I can only smoke on the rear deck, and both boys have moved out..
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    My wife excepts it and she shows a little interest and pride in the collection. When we had a local pipe club she enjoyed host the club in our home several times. She usually comes to one or two shows with me a year and enjoys hanging out knitting and shopping with the other pipe wives and has even had a good time in the traditional smoked filled room a few times. The key to a happy smoke friendly home is moderation although she's not happy about my car that I smoke cigars in.  :o
  • Options
    I am banished to the great outdoors, the garage, or in my pick em up truck. My wife and my pipes, tobacco, and cigars do not get along at all. As such, winter (and the hottest days of summer) is often a slow season. Fall and spring as well as temperate winter and summer days are wonderful.
  • Options
    My girlfriend is away on a girls only weekend. So I get to smoke in the house. She really doesn't like for me to smoke in the house but gave me the go ahead while she's gone a long as I air the house out before her return. A add blessing, she the best thing that's every happened to me!!!
  • Options
    I'm only "allowed" to smoke outside. She too is worried that I'll get addicted to nicotine and that am increasing my chances health problems. 
  • Options
    Well I have been with my wife for going on 20 years now. She does not mind pipes she actually enjoys the aroma of certin blends. She understands that smoking and creating pipes is just part of who I am. I do not how ever smoke in the house just in the sun room and on the front porch.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    I generally prefer to smoke outside, during the winter also if mild enough. I repurposed my son's bedroom as a study, installed a HEPA type air cleaner, no issues with fouling the air. As to the wife, she did the books for a good friend that owned a pipe and cigar store, so, no issues, except when I smoke a heavy Latakia blend such as Lane's BS005 Pure English. Other than that, to quote Thoreau, if memory serves, life is good and all things in it. At least when it comes to all things related to pipe smoking.
  • Options
    It's like oil and water for me. Wife hates the idea of pipe smoking. However she did say it smells nice a couple times. I mainly smoke on the weekend or if I want to unwind. 
  • Options
    My wife loves the smell of my pipe as long as we're outside. And even when she walks into the garage after I've been smoking in it she'll comment on how nice the garage smells now that I've started using it as my smoking room. If she didn't have health problems she'd allow me to smoke in the house ... and she actually does once she's gone to sleep for the evening. Our bedroom are on the other side of the house. Since she developed respiratory problems she's actually stopped burning scented candles in the house as well so I know it's no bullsh*t.  
  • Options
    I'm adding to this thread after an evening stroll/conversation with my wife tonight.
    Our new home (old home +75years) is wrapped around a corner lot. Garage at one end, bedroom at the other, with multiple small rooms along the way (in other words, not a big open plan - so the smoke doesn't work itself to her sanctuary in our bedroom).
    She has zero issues with me smoking in the garage, but recently said my Month of English experiment was discernible all the way back in our bedroom. Her habit is knitting. Pipe tobacco and wool don't mix well.
    As we are heading into summer, I don't mind smoking outside.
    Note to self: English tobaccos when I lunt. Aromatics and Sweet Virginias in the garage. Happy wife = Happy life.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited April 2018
    SWMBO sez: Outside and wash your face and brush teeth afterwards.

End of discussion. : :*
  • Options
    I am not married so I cannot comment on what my wife would or would not allow.  Since I am a free agent, I smoke in my home whenever I like and those who know me have no problem with my pipe smoking.  In fact, it has been requested that I feel free to smoke when visiting some of my family.  I has been repeatedly stated that the aroma reminds them of when my grandfather smoked his pipe. Since some of my OTC and Dunhill tobaccos remind them of him, my pipe smoking is quite welcome.  The one person I do not around is one of my sisters since she has lung problems and smoke makes it very difficult for her to breath.  
  • Options
    BentonBenton Newcomer
    My wife Kathy is very supportive of this. She likes to show my pipe collection to visitors. 
     We have a beautiful courtyard in our home which is perfect for smoking. We retreat to the garage in bad weather. 
     As I am what is known as a super commuter to work, most of my pipe smoking is behind the wheel. 
    I’m lucky and I know it. 
  • Options
    My wife is very supportive of my Pipe and Cigar smoking. She very politely points to the patio door when I want to smoke.
  • Options
    Well there’s just no way too minimize it....I married an angel in all respects. She tolerates me and my ways far beyond the bounds I deserve. She enjoys the smell of the pipe (especially Creme Brûlée) and so I’m free to puff in or out. Which is a damn fine thing come July and August around here. Between the bugs and the heat, being outside then is fit only for rapid decomposition.
  • Options
  • Options
    When I was married, my wife did not care one way or the other. Now I find it much more enjoyable to go outside and smoke. I go for a walk for an hour every nite and load up. I realize many of the members live in places where it is not convenient to go outside all the time so I guess I'm very lucky.