Home General
Options

Pipes and Wives

Okay gents! It's time to sound off! 
Do any of you have wives who appreciate your pipe smoking? Anyone have a wife that wants to banish your pipe smoking to a cave deep in the belly of the earth? Anyone have tips, tricks, ideas for enjoying your pipe in a home with a wife that doesn't get you or your pipe smoking activity? 

Comments

• Options
    My wife doesn't want me to smoke in the house. On the other hand she is the number one enabler in my acquiring pipes from antique/junk/collectible shops and flea markets. And the first thing she thinks of for our Anniversary, my birthday and gift giving holidays is a new (as in not estate) pipes. She is also supportive of my going to pipe club meetings and events.

So I don't complain about not smoking inside the house.
  • Options
    My wife is kind of indifferent to pipe smoking.  She values that the hobby is important to me.  She has not minded me smoking indoors before (At our rental property now, I am not allowed to smoke on the premise so I must enjoy my pipe at the pipe club or on a walk). I believe she is fine with the pipes because 1. "They smell good" 2. I smoke quite infrequently (1 or twice a month).  I do think I drive her crazy sometimes with oversharing information with her about the Hobby.  I have a good one.
  • Options
    My wife hates it. Im an occasional smoker of pipes, and cigars, maybe 2-3 per week MAX. She is always freaking out about Cancer...
    So i really do not discuss it with her.

• Options
    I didn't share my experience. My wife tolerates the hobby. We are trying to sell our house, so she has asked that I not smoke inside, but she does enjoy the smell of my cellar on some days.
    She knits. It is a very similar hobby. You never can have enough yarn. It's fun to find yarn in new cities and on vacations or day trips. It relaxes her. She shares her creations with others as gifts. I don't get super excited by new wools and patterns, but I do appreciate her passion and I know a nice project when I see one.
    Likewise, I am more relaxed. I love to find new pipes/tobaccos. I love to share the gifts I get. She supports my desire to have others over for a pipe night or to go to my local pipe club.
    So, we have a mutual love for supporting each other's hobbies.

• Options
    Mine smokes with me 
  • Options
    Mine puts up with my hobby, but asks that I don't smoke in the house. I don't complain about it, as at least she lets me do what I love.
  • Options
    @abreathawayfromglory - you should ask her to join the forum.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    My wife (Kelly) doesn't care for it much. She definitely doesn't want me to smoke in the house or at all really, and she gets a little miffed at times when I buy a new pipe (not so much the tobacco though). With that said, she never tries to actually impede in any of my hobby actions (probably because I don't have many to begin with). She never says anything as she sees the obvious growth of my tobacco collection and she only makes one comment when she notices a new pipe (another one Michael). The dogs toy collection is a larger source of contention between us.
  • Options
    Mine could care less. She smokes cigarettes though. Every now and then she will say that one stinks. I assume she's talking about the tobacco.
  • Options
    @mhajec let's make sure Kelly and Kendra never meet. Dogs and pipes are my two biggest crutches for relaxation and joy. My dog and pipe budgets are not even line items.
  • Options
    My wife is very supportive. She enjoys the smell but I do have to smoke outside. I dont mind though, nice to hear nature and relax.
  • Options
    TeCarpTeCarp Apprentice
    I posted this in several Facebook groups a few days ago.  It expresses my wife's attitude very well, I think.

Let Us Now Praise Tolerant Spouses

Trease and I have been wed more than three decades. Through all these years, the good, the bad and the indifferent, she has more than tolerated my mania for all things tobacciana. She might even be said to actively encourage it. I confidently anticipate at least four new pipes every year: on our anniversary, my birthday, Christmas and Father's Day. Depending upon our circumstances, some years it was more than one pipe on each of these occasions.
    At pipe shows, she accompanies me on the first trip around the room. From time to time she asks something like, "Do you like that pipe?" or "Would you smoke that pipe?"  Ever the diligent husband, I always give her a brief rundown on each particular pipe and why it does, or does not,  meet my requirements. Then, when I wander away from the show floor for a smoke, or get involved in a conversation with someone, she makes another circuit, stopping at each table where I've indicated there's a pipe I might be interested in.
    If the pipe is still available, she comes to an understanding with the seller, and it goes into the bottomless purse she always carries. If the truth be told, she makes better deals than I do. No one ever charges her full price, and she usually gets even better discounts than the show discount. I've even seen dealers give her pipes sometimes.
    So far the pattern has held. I recently celebrated yet another birthday, and, sure enough, there was a pipe involved. This year she gave me an estate Sasieni Royal Stuart apple, purchased at the TAPS show in Raleigh, NC, back in April. I took it on its maiden voyage this morning on the way to work. What can I say? I've taught her well.
    For those of you whose significant others support your sometimes incomprehensible obsession with this noble endeavor, I salute you. If, on the other hand, your partner can't understand why you have to have so many "stinky old pipes," all I can do is sympathize with your plight.
    Keep the home bowls burning brightly, friends.

Showing off our new roof
  • Options
    @TeCarp - Wonderful. Down to the picture.
  • Options
    InderbibInderbib Newcomer
    edited September 2016
    My wife supports my pipe smoking 100%. Her Grandfather and Father both smoked a pipe, so she understands my passion. After 30+ years of marriage, the military, and pipe smoking I have absolutely no complaints, and neither does she! Thank you Prudence!!
  • Options
    I've always smoked inside in moderation and Lorie has joined me at a few pipe shows over the years but she
    showed little interest in the collection until she saw it displayed.
     She always enjoyed when we hosted the pipe club party in our home for a few years.

• Options
    When I was married my now ex-wife LOVED the smell of my pipe!
  • Options
    My wife loves the smell of a pipe as her father and grandfather smoke, she does not mind when I buy tobacco, as for smoking in the house I have a sun room to smoke in during the winter as for the rest of the year it has to be outside and thats ok with me I enjoy my front porch swing. We have spent many a nights on the swing just talking as I smoke.
  • Options
    So, I started this post a few days ago and last night at dinner we were sitting with a few friends...
    I said to my wife: "Mind if we go out on the back porch so I can smoke my pipe?"
    She said, "If our guests don't mind, why don't you just smoke inside?"

Not going to jinx this one.

:) 

• Options
    @mangoandy - how did it go and what are you going to have to do for her in repayment.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe - It was a great run. I chose to smoke a bowl of Cherokee from The Country Squire. We live in CA and it was a very mild evening. So, I cracked a window and turned on the whole house fan which sucked the smoke up stairs and into the attic.
    It helped that our guests both said, "That smells wonderful."
    The conversation was wonderful, the fellowship was extended
    As long as I don't abuse the privilege, I see this becoming a recurring occurrence.
  • Options
    My wife is very supportive of my hobby and is the one who bought my nicest and most expensive pipes as gifts. Yet because she has respiratory issues I don't smoke in the house. Though when we're strolling through the park or simply sitting together on a bench or picnic table while I smoke, whenever she gets a whiff of a particularly pleasant smelling aromatic she'll comment on it and tell me it smells good.  
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    As a newlywed man, I'm finding the tricky line between make her mad and make her happy.  She enjoys many of my tobaccos that have a great room note, aromatics and a few english blends, but she cannot have the smoke in the house.  I always ask if she would like a smoke from a pipe I bought her a while back and I always get told "I'm not ready to jump to the big leagues yet".  She does smoke cigars every so often.  I cannot wait for the day I have a screened in porch.    1607065_10201260868113861_261115345_n
  • Options
    @Deadpool57 tell her the pipe is much gentler than a cigar, especially with the right blend.  I was a cigar smoker (weekends) for many years but gave it up the first time I tasted a nice aromatic in a pipe.  Conversion was instant and complete.
  • Options
    @deadpool57 - Walk that line cautiously my friend. :)
  • Options
    Rshey1Rshey1 Apprentice
    My wife doesn't care,she has even added a few to my collection.She vapes so she cant say too much anyway
  • Options
    My wife has bought me all but my First Peterson and I used to smoke indoors but now, the smoke irritates her physically so I smoke outside or on the enclosed porch. It's not a problem and I don't mind dressing warm for winter. Must be doing something right for the past 45 years.
  • Options
    2b1ask12b1ask1 Newcomer
    My wife is very supportive and loves the smell of a good tobacco.  She prefers aromatics over stronger blends though.  
  • Options
    My wife likes most blends. She really likes Latakia. Says it smells like deer camp. Yes, we hunt together also.
  • Options
    CerozeroCerozero Newcomer
    Doesn't mind it too much but no smoking inside.
  • Options
    CACooperCACooper Enthusiast
    Been married now for 30 years. When we met I was working at a tobacco shop. Her Grandfather smoked cigars and the aroma brings her fond memories. Both her parents smoked cigarettes. She doesn't smoke herself, but she's well aware of what she got into. She also likes motorcycles and rides as passenger with me regularly. Choose your mates wisely friends. Make sure she's on board with your hobbies and passions. And you with hers. The less friction the better.

I only smoke pipes in the house, no cigars or cigs, but that's my choice. That said, we're in the process of moving to the Salt Lake City area and have already bought a house there. I'll probably refrain from smoking in the new house most of the time because one of the conditions of purchase was a man cave. And we found it! I now have my dream sanctuary, a 1200sq. ft. separate workshop/garage, with a car lift, fully insulated with HVAC and an upstairs home theater. Pretty cool. I told her if she needs me, you know where to find me as I'll be spending a lot of time there.