Home General
Options

Keep Your Zippo Out Of Your Pants Pocket After Refilling It

Some things you learn through repetition, some things by trial and error, and other things simple common sense is all that's required. Not putting a Zippo lighter in my pants pocket after just filling it probably comes under the heading 'common sense' ... but in any case ... the lesson has been learned.

While sitting in my chair for an afternoon smoke I began getting a terrible burning sensation in my thigh. Since I was sitting directly in the blazing noonday sun my first thought was my leg made had contact with the metal arm of the chair. But that was not the case. The pain continued to increase as if I had been stung by a hornet or had a pocketful of fire ants.

I leaped out of the chair digging into my pocket, retrieving my still moist Zippo lighter. Apparently I'd overfilled the lighter and due to the position I was sitting the lighter shifted upside down in my pocket causing the excess fluid to leak out. The fluid had soaked through my pants eventually making contact with the skin. And as a result I ended up with a reddish quarter-sized chemical burn on my leg.

Chances are everyone here is already smart enough to have known this ... if not - a word of warning for those who didn't. Lighter fluid burns even when there isn't a flame. 

Comments

• Options
    Ha, Zippo lighter fluid burns. It is kind of like sticking your tounge on a metal post, rail, etc. in sub-zero weather. Yeppers, been there done that. I have only tore the skin off of my tounge once...I learned. I have probably overfilled my Zippo and burned my leg 2 or three times. I learned, but still get it overfilled on occasion. Anymore, after I fill them, I turn them right-side up with the bottom still off and let it "drip-dry". The loss of a bit of fluid is worth not have my leg chemically burned.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    Yeah I made the same mistake, once. I purchased a leather zippo pouch and I put it on my belt to hold mine. It can be a pain sometimes when switching jeans or belts but it stopped the burn from happening again. :)
  • Options

I think it was Pappy Joe that said to smear a little Vaseline around all sides of the insert after filling to cut down on such things and slow evaporation. I tried it on my Beattie Jet and it did work on the evaporation and I did invert it for a few seconds after filling with no loss, but don't think it would work in my jeans pocket. I only carry it around in my shirt and can't remember getting a chemical burn.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Except in a stiff breeze, I still don't understand the appeal of  petroleum based lighters, especially when there are so many alternatives. Even cigar smokers abandoned Zippos long ago, as they did affect the flavor of the tobacco. You may not mind the initial taste, but why would you want to not mind it?

I used a Beattie Jet lighter away or wooden matches at home or in the office. That was in my first pipe life. This time around, I'm all anout butane and hemp wicks.

But, as they say, "De gustibus non disputandum est."
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Oh, and by the way, if you have a chemical burn, talk to your doctor to find out if you are up to date on your tetanus vaccine. According to MayoClinic.com, burns are susceptible to tetanus. 
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I have never got a chemical burn, however I do not put my zippo in my pocket.
  • Options
    I have a Zippo.

I put a butane insert in it. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Two other Zippo products that you should keep out of your pants pockets:
  • Options
    Apparently at a business meeting to increase revenue someone at Zippo mentioned that although not everyone smokes, they do have eyes. 
  • Options
    I remember burning my leg the same way, back when I smoked cigarettes for about 5 years. I really liked the taste of the cigarette when it was lit with a zippo. No other lighter would do, once I got used to the taste and smell.
  • Options
    Possible Permanent Solution To The ZIPPO Lighters’ Greatest Flaw - Fuel Evaporation

Put <<zippo lighter fuel gasket>> into Amazon
  • Options
    Been there, done that... Still have the scarred patch on my thigh 15 years later.
  • Options
    @Montecristo I grabbed some of those inserts and they work great. I use a Zippo at work to light my torch and typically I have to refill it every few weeks. With that insert it lasts a good 4 weeks and I'm lighting it constantly.
  • Options
    @Zouave
    I have been wanting to know if the plug/inserts make a difference from a reliable source, thank you.
    I bought a five pack several months ago, but I have not tested them.  I have been using my butane inserts, because I know they work.  I should probably start using a “real” Zippo again and give them a chance.  The lighter I carry everyday is used more for my work, shrinking “shrink tube” insulation on wire joints.  I have used a Zippo in the “distant” past, but it leave a black soot on the wires that I would rather not deal with.  The double torch insert I use works for most everything….except pipes…it’s to dangerous, a slight miscalculation and torched rim😖.  If I have a knock-around outside pipe, I would use the jet torch for that too…or maybe just pick up a dry stick and light it, then light the pipe, provided there are dry sticks handy.
  • Options
    I use the plug insert and find it works great.