Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What Was the First Blend You Fell In Love With?

13»

Comments

• Options
    First tobacco purchased is still my all-time favorite, Frog Morton Cellar.  Have dreams about buying box loads of it before the FDA sends it into extinction. 
  • Options
    Carter Hall, I still like it even though I'm mainly into English Blends.
  • Options
    Hello Folks,
    Well my first tobacco what I really liked was Erinmore Flake.
    I smoke it still today but not anymore as often due that I can't get anymore the full taste out of it may its me or the tobacco that went through a change.
    Cheers
    Michael
  • Options
    Wow, that's great @motie2,I'm in Cleveland,are you from here?
  • Options
    I'd have to say Captain Black Gold was my first true love. I met her one day at a local drug store. She was so different from the other blends I'd been seeing like John Rolfe Peach Brandy and Middleton's Cherry Blend. They wore boxes - she was in a pouch. Her smell was intoxicating - even through the cellophane wrapper. I knew 'she' was the one. Then one day I discovered the Big City Mall and stepped into the door of The Tinder Box Tobacco Shop, and temptation got the better of me. Surrounded by all these new and exciting bulk blends sitting naked in glass jars I strayed from my first love like a two-timing rat bastard and asked the tobacconist to sample his wares. Sheepishly and somewhat embarrassed I asked for a blend similar to Captain Back Gold. He removed the lid from one of the jars, I took a sniff, and I walked out with a sexy delicious new blend NORTH SEA. Then without so much as a word I left Captain Black Gold on a shelf forgotten and unloved where she dried-up and wasted away. NORTH SEA and I became an inseparable couple until Tinder Box closed it's doors. Then like a fickle lover I returned to Captain Black Gold hoping all would be forgiven. She accepted me back - but things were never the same. Then once again I returned to my cheating ways when I discovered the internet and on-line tobacco shops and started playing the field like a pipe puffing Gigolo. Captain Black Gold and I still see each other now and again ... and I'll give her a puff. But I'll never settle down to one brand and she knows it.   
  • Options
    @ghostsof pompeii, sounds like me exactly, I smoked Captain Black Gold exclusively, I would buy it by the can, then I too went to the Tinder Box and North Sea was the blend I fell in love with and I smoked it for years until they closed down, Coincidence.
  • Options
    @pipeman83, yes, originally from Cleveland Heights. Wife is from South Euclid. Kids at her high school (Brush) used to beat up kids from my school (Heights High, currently under massive reconstruction.) We've lived in NJ since 1984. We were in Cleveland last weekend to see the pastels show at the Art Museum (Wife is a pastel painter.) I'm going to get back to Kelly Cousin about ordering some of the Cousin's aromatic mixture, to see if it's the same as it was. BTW, the Cousin's Cigar Shop on Chagrin Blvd. is a really nice place to sit down with a bowl (or, I guess, a cigar)!!!
  • Options

@motie2, that's awesome, I grew up on the eastside(Collinwood) now live in Mayfield Hts. off of Mayfield Rd. right across from JoVann's Tobacco, I've been to Cousin's, but not for several years, JoVann's is a more laid back atmosphere and I've been going there for 30 years. if you ever get back, would like to have a pipe with you.

• Options
    My favorite pipe tobacco was an aromatic called "Crosby Square."  Would love to find a similar blend or a recipe.  Really loved the flavor and aroma, even though it was so long ago.  When that was no longer available, Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic became my second favorite.  On the English side, my long standing favorite has always been Dunhill's London Mixture.
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    GL Pease's Gas Light. I can't figure it out, but I love it's mystery. Once I have a bowl I usually smoke it for days before switching to something else.

• Options
    Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.  I don't smoke it anymore as I've found other things that interest me but maybe I will try it again someday.
  • Options
    chimselfchimself Newcomer
    Cafe Supreme 
  • Options
    GlfjunkeGlfjunke Newcomer
    MacBarens Golden Extra back in the 70's,and still buying it by the pound. Only wish they would not have removed the cumarin from the mixture.
  • Options
    I have to say I'm in love with GL Pease Gaslight. It has become the one blend that I smoke almost everyday.
  • Options
    Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dulce.  Out of curiosity, I ordered and received a FREE tin of this from Sutliff.  This was back when such a thing was not anathema to government regulations.  The stuff was intoxicating, like something I'd want to "eat".  In fact, it was smell of Molto Dulce in the tin that turned me into a pipe smoker.  Needless to say, Sutliff has been more than compensated in the years since for that sample they sent me.  
  • Options
    Mac Baren Golden Extra
  • Options
    @judandhispipe House of Windsor  also made some excellent cigars, My grandfather smoked their Palmas for many years,  shame they went out of business
  • Options
    Dunhill My Mixture 965,

• Options
    Balkan Sobranie, back in the day.
  • Options
    @pipeman83, I’m with you North Sea at Tinderbox was my favorite also, had smoked many blends previously but North Sea took the prize.
  • Options
    Country Squire's Old Toby.  I have since gone off aromatics, but for two years that was my steady blend.