Home The Pack
Options

Greetings from Wisconsin

Hello hello!  I've been a cigar guy since I was 18.  Always loved the the variety of sizes, smells, tastes and art.  My best friend and I would come home from work (a tungsten factory outside of Buffalo, NY) over the summer with a couple new cigars and raid dad's Porto collection.  We'd sit on the front porch smoking, drinking and thinking we were so civilized!  Great times! During this time I also worked as a waiter at a county club.  One evening as I was cleaning up I noticed a pouch was left by one of the guests on a table.  Turned out to be someones tobacco pouch.  After a couple weeks it wasn't claimed so I asked the manager if I could take it.  He said he didn't care so I took it home with me.  I knew my dad had a pipe in his end table.  Ended up walking the tracks with another friend of mine trying to figure out how to pack and light it.  All I really remember of that even was how torn up my tongue was after we were done!  Wish I knew what kind of tobacco it was.  Skip ahead 20 years: about 5 years ago a good friend of mine turned me on to pipes and I haven't looked back. Love all the variety, tastes, flavors and types of pipes.  It's the history and tradition that really gets me as it's a tangible connection to the past.  While I smoke a fair amount by my self while reading or drinking, I also will lunt as well as meet up with a number of local friends who enjoy pipes as well.  About  a year and a half ago I started a pipe club here in Kensoha, WI: Kenosha Pipe Club (very original I know!) and we meet monthly at a local craft beer place here in town just to smoke and chat.  It's been a great experience and have met some wonderful folks.  Love the community and all the personalities pipe smoking has opened me up to!  

If you eve find yourself in Milwaukee or Chicago or in-between hit me up and lets share a pipe and a pint!  Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Welcome to the community.  I was never a smoker myself.  I have enjoyed a good cigar from time to time.  I have liked the smell of a pipe and decided to give it a go.  I do like it and enjoy the uniqueness it brings since many dont smoke a pipe. Its kind of like an accessory to have with you.  Weird i know, but i think of my car, Cadillac CTS, as an accessory to.. ha ha.   Anyhow, enjoy the community and the one on YouTube, lots of fun and nice to chill out with .
  • Options
    @Garreck27 Welcome to the group my friend. Glad to have you aboard. You'll find a nice group of people here and some colorful personalities. We have a fair share of newcomers to the hobby as well as old timers. A lot of facial hair to boot. I've been smoking a pipe for over 50 years and I'm still learning new things all the time which enhance my pipe smoking experience considerably. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Gerreck27 -- Welcome, as Pink Floyd put it, to the machine. The machine that drives TPL is the camaraderie of our members. We look forward to enjoying your comments and opinions. Again, welcome!!!

BTW, English blend, VaPer, or Aromatic preferences?
  • Options
    @Garreck27 - Greetings, and welcome to TPL! I live in Illinois, and I'm about 30 minutes from Kenosha. Do you have a page for the Kenosha pipe club or any other info on it?
  • Options
    Welcome to the TPL Forums Garreck. Glad you found us!
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Welcome Mr. Gerreck,

We have another badger on board and I see he has already popped his head up. A Wisconsinianite is a badger, right? Or is it a cheese-brain? Wait, one has something to do with sports. 

I am familiar with a tungsten company in Depew. I use them for all my tungsten needs, which unfortunately is zero. But if I did need tungsten you can bet that's the place I'd go. 

Wonder which country club you refer to. Probably the par 3 in Newfane.
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    Welcome Pipe-Broski
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Philip -- <<I use them for all my tungsten needs>>

Hey, me too. And, come to think of it, I have not ordered from them.... well .... for decades....or more.
  • Options
    Can't have a good TIG weld without Tungsten, or was that a HeliArc?
  • Options
    Thanks all y'all for the warm welcome.  Got a few good questions and comments to respond to:
    @motie2 - I prefer a good English, burley and some va/per.  Not much of an aro smoker, but I do have some that I enjoy.  My current go to's are: Dunhill Nightcap, MM American Patriot, C&D Haunted Bookshop and 3 Nuns.  I'll swing over to the aro's with some Frog Morton Cellar.  There is a nice light mix from a local B&M (Andrea's here in Kenosha for those of you who may actually know it) that I enjoy when I don't want something as heavy which is called Yachtsman.  

@thebadgerpiper - you can look for the club on Facebook, just search Kenosha Pipe Club and it should pop up.  We meet the first Thursday of every month from 7-10, and folks come and go as they are able.  Super low key... as it should be.  Would love to share a smoke with you if you can make it some time!

@Philip - yep, we're cheese heads!  Although, I'm a processed cheese head as I was brought in from NY.  And yes, it was Buffalo Tungsten that I worked at in Depew.  Still there I believe although it wouldn't surprise me to learn that all the guys I worked with are probably dead now.  No one wore masks or respirators and around their mouths and noses was just black from the tungsten in the air.  Horrible stuff.  

Thanks again gents!  Hope you all had a wonderful week and a great weekend.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you all a little better.  Cheers!
  • Options
    Welcome to the fold.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Cheese Head, that's right. What did I say? Sorry about that, my apologies I'm sure. I'm not much of a sports fan but one thing I do know is if I were a Buffalo Bills follower I think I might keep that close to the vest if I were to find myself relocated to Wisconsin. I understand they can be quite fervent when it comes to their team. I'm more of a Horse Racing man myself although I do enjoy the Sweet Science.

The danger with tungsten is that it is an alpha emitter when grinding, as in sharpening a tip for TIG welding. 

Joking aside, I've used up a lot of tungsten in my time. 

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Hi from southwestern Wisconsin's coulee region. I bought a couple of Dunhill's from Andrea's way back when. Be sure to visit my MAPS friends at Metro Cigar on Saturday mornings. They are a great bunch.
  • Options
    Watchmaker61Watchmaker61 Enthusiast
    Welcome to another displaced rust belter!!
  • Options
    Welcome Garrick27.  As others have already stated, you will enjoy your visits here.  I, too love the historical connection to the hobby and learn something new every day from both our more seasoned and experienced posters to people like me who are newer to the fun.  Not sure UConn has ever played Wisconsin in hoops, but I'm in Husky territory and can't wait for the start of another season.
  • Options
    @Garreck27 Thanks for the invite! I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the next meeting due to a trip, but I'll definitely do my best to make it soon. I look forward to checking the club out.