Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Favorite Meduim-Full Tobaccos?

Hey All, 

I am new to the community and overall fairly new to the pipe tobacco world. My intro to smoking was through cigars, and while I love the full flavors of a cigar it gets spendy to buy them and takes much more of a time commitment to sit down and smoke. So getting to the point I am curious what some people's favorite Fuller body tobaccos are? I got a tin of Gurkha Rare Breed and have definitely enjoyed it, just looking for a few opinions on what to try next. 

Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    I understand where you are coming from, I started out as a Cigar smoker originally also before switching over to more of a pipe smoker with the occasional cigar thrown in.  Pipe tobacco is very different from cigar tobacco, so finding something that gives you that similar cigar experience can be difficult.  For me, I discovered I enjoyed stronger fuller Virginia Perique blends like Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture.  Elizabethan Mixture quickly became one of my favorite and one I highly recommend.   It sounds like you have enjoyed an English Blend so far, and to keep along that same line I would recommend Dunhill Nightcap.  Nightcap is a good full English Blend and probably be enjoyable to you.  Another thing you might consider trying is some blends that use cigar tobacco in them such as Briar Works Country Lawyer, Cornell & Diehl's Chopped Cigar Leaf or Seersucker, GL Pease's Robusto, or McClelland's Dominican Glory. There is a lot of options out there, and I am sure you will find some good ones in your search.  If you have an idea of what you enjoy, a good resource to find tobaccos blends to try on smokingpipes.com.  Smoking Pipes has a tobacco locator that gives you a lot of options to filter by including the fullness of the tobacco and the types of leaf to include or exclude in the blends.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    I am a fan of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky.  This is a Virginia and dark fired Kentucky flake with an amazing aroma and wonderful taste. I dont consider this an aromatic either just a good cured tobacco.  Funny how it kinda looks like bacon. 
  • Options

Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices are mainly Stoved Kentucky and Virginias which are medium strong and well flavored.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Dswedburg -- Welcome to TPL. We look forward to your comments and questions. 

English, VaPer or Aro smoker?

• Options
    Peterson 3 P's is a fairly strong Plug that leaves me reluctant to attempt standing for a while.
  • Options

My favorite medium/full bodied aromatics-

G.L. Pease Odyssey

MacBaren Vintage Syrian

Penzance

Butera Pelican

Esotericas Margate

G.L.Pease Meridian

Hearth & Home Blackhouse

Cornell and Diehl Billy Budd

McClelland's Dominican Glory Maduro

Rattray's 7 Reserve

G.L. Pease Sextant

Rattrays Black Mallory

Standard Tobacco's Bengal Slices

Boswell's Northwoods

Ashton's Artisan's Blend

G.L. Pease Abingdon

G.L Pease Samarra

Peretti's Tashkent

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @xDutchx -- and I keep three blends and a best o' the rest jar, and I feel profligate......
  • Options
    @motie2, I have at one time or another smoked an entire tin, or been given a sample of the tobaccos listed above. No way I would have that many tins open simultaneously. Right now, I have 7 tins open, as well as two 500 gram Black and Brown Irish X Ropes. I like to have a decent rotation, but I also like to leave my cellared tobaccos alone when I'm able. I figured since the ropes were stoved, they wouldn't need any additional age on them, plus I was feeling too lazy to go buy any new mason jars, and instead cut them up and tossed them into some premium Rubbermaid containers.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I bow before your wisdom and experience. Here in TPL, I'm a Professor, because, as my father, of blessed memory, frequently remarked, I have "a big mouth." But in the real world, compared to folks like yourself and @PappyJoe (especially @PappyJoe), @ghostsofpompeii, @mfresa, @Woodsman, and many others here, I am just a neophyte, despite my previous history.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I'm just especially well read on the subject, but my experience is limited.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @motie2, you have a nice sense of humor :-)
  • Options
    @BigSkyPiping thanks for the recommendation of Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture, I picked up a tin and it has become a fast favorite. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Dswedburg -- If you liked Elizabethan Mixture:

1) Stock up, because Dunhill tobaccos are going away.
    2) Try Escudo, a Virginia/Perique blend, just like Elizabethan, but in rolled sliced coin shape discs. It''s my favorite Va/Per.
  • Options
    Watchmaker61Watchmaker61 Enthusiast
    I was Cigar smoker for years, although I think I was always a pipe smoker. I just smoke aromatic pipe tobacco. Cigars are cigars and pipes are pipes just my opinion!
  • Options
    @Dswedburg  The Pipes and Cigars website has Punch pipe tobacco. I haven't tried it yet, but I love Punch cigars. As a former cigar lover it might be worth a try. In general, strong Latakia blends will probably serve you well.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Welcome Dswedburg. A blend that appears to be in your interest area, Peretti's D7485, it is a mild American/ English blend. A blend I recently acquired to sample is Lane's BS005 Pure English, it is a fuller bodied, yet milder than some other English blends. Dunhill ' s 965 has been one of my consistent tobaccos for years, it is available in tin or bulk. 
    Many tobaccos I have been sampling recently have been those mentioned on TPL, have not been disappointed on any of the recommendations. 
    Enjoy the hobby and report your experiences and also your picks. 
  • Options
    @motie2 - Just so you know, I'm ignoring your earlier comment.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @PappyJoe -- Confusion reigns. I'm not at all sure which "earlier comment." 

Have I unintentionally given offense? If so, I humbly apologize, but I am at a bit of a loss to understand your post.
  • Options
    @motie2 - It is I who owe you the apology. I read something before my first cup of coffee kicked in this morning that I took as a humorous jab. 

Lesson: Don't post before you have your first cup of coffee.
  • Options
    Motie; don't sell yourself short, you're very good on searching Documentation and Literature that expands knowledge on a subject to everyone's benefit, plus accurate usage of the English Language. You're a professor.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Woodsman -- Can I get you to tell all that to SWMBO?
  • Options
    @Dswedburg I am very glad to hear you enjoyed Elizabethan.  It is a great blend.  As Motie2 pointed out though, you might want to stock up because Dunhill blends might be going away by the end of the year unless another company buys the rights to keep making them.  In the mean time, you might check out Pipesandcigars.com  Elizabethan Match blend.  I have not tried it myself yet, but I have heard it is a pretty close replica of Dunhill's blend.