Home General
Options

The Golden Years

This is for all our retired pipers of which, I believe, there are at least a few.  How has retirement changed or enhanced your pipe smoking activities?  Aside from "having more time to smoke", has it had any other impact?  Does the smoke seem thicker?  The flavors enhanced?  The overall pleasure even more pleasurable? How and why?  The rest of us losers who must still earn a paycheck want to know!  After all, we need to have SOMETHING to look forward to besides back pain and hemorrhoids!

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I retired four years ago. No effect on my pipe smoking as I didn't take up the pipe (after a more than three decade hiatus) until Summer of 2016. 

I do have a new home with a rear deck and now live in the suburbs instead of in the city.
  • Options

The change is radically different for me. Your thought process changes once you've retired so your mind is uncluttered with the pressure associated with work. Back when I was still gainfully employed even those hours when I was away from the job - in what should have been that moment of solitude between me and my pipe - was often intruded upon by rehashing problems at work or contemplating what new Hell lay in wait for me the following day. My pre-retirement pipe smoking should have been a therapeutic head cleansing session but was instead an unpaid extension of the 8 hour work day as I took mental notes for tomorrow's activities as if my brain were a Franklin Daily Planner. Now when I sit in meditation puffing my pipe, my mind is free to wander to the past, present or speculate on the future. I vividly recall events from the past ... long forgotten childhood memories become crystal clear and faces from decades past come into focus in High Definition. For the retiree, the quite contemplation of pipe smoking continues to exercise and stimulate the brain without over-taxing it with calculations or problem solving. And once the initial apprehension we all have after making the transition to retirement subsides, and realize things will be different (and often times better) after a career, well that first retirement bowl will be oh so sweet.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    The golden years -- retirement -- can be spectacular; the best time of your life.... right up until the doctor "finds" something, and you get to ride the medical merry-go-round. Even then, life can be good....if you're not in constant pain. Then we discover that in extremis Western Civ treats animals with more compassion than we do human beings. 

So it goes.
  • Options
    @motie2 There is much wisdom in what you say my friend. That's why I suggest people do what they intend to put off until retirement ... TODAY. Short of making some great lifestyle change that's going to uproot your family to an island paradise or quit your job to sail around the world - my comment is meant for the little things you can do without making major adjustments to your current existence. I was always buying loads of books I wanted to read after retirement - then my eyes went bad. Wanted to travel, go camping and do more outdoors thing ... then little by little my body went to Hell and I can barely sit or stand for any great length of time. And the worst thing of all ... assembling the equipment for a home studio with intentions of recording music well into the decade only to have the tendon in my hands think otherwise, making playing the keyboards painful. So although The Golden Years provide you with free time unavailable to the hard-working stiff ... hitting retirement age comes with a lot of excess baggage. And poor health can change all those great plans for the future. So start marking things off your bucket list today. Once you retire make a new list accordingly.        
  • Options

It really makes me feel a lot better, knowing that no one has felt the need to mention Depends.

I came down with my second case of shingles about 2 weeks ago, and felt like I not only got ran over by a train, but got dragged for miles. I must have bought about 17 bottles of the pink stuff, but I refused to even walk down the isle where they keep the Depends.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @xDutchx -- Oui, oui, monsieur.

@ghostsofpompeii - Reality reminds me of a little ditty I once heard:

"The Golden Years have come at last!
    The Golden Years can kiss ...." 

Well, let's just leave that unsaid. The Golden Years tarnish when all we talk about is what's wrong with us. Physically, that is. Emotional states are still taboo subjects, especially among us he-man types. <giggle>

Another problem is our friends, our support network, start(s) fading away after high school graduation. The dispersal continues after college (if one attends) and accelerates as folks move about because of work, etc., and frankly, people our age start dying. 

What all this bitching and moaning has to do with pipe smoking, I have no idea.    'La-di-da, la-di-da, la la'