Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Latakia blends

Let's here from the latakia smokers - what are your favorite lat blends? For me, the short list would include, in no particular order:
Dunhill Standard
Dunhill MM Baby's Bottom
Peterson Old Dublin
H&H White Knight
McCranie's Murdock's Pipe

Comments

• Options
    My favs-
    Peretti d-9575
    Macbaren Vintage Syrian
    Boswell Northwoods
    Peretti d-7485
    Dunhill MM965
  • Options
    Star of the East 
  • Options
    RandyB1966RandyB1966 Enthusiast
    motie2 This is a great article with a lot of good info for us new smokers.
  • Options
    Latakia has taken some getting used to. For a person who enjoys his aromatic tobacco as a sweet decadent pastry, I've found Latakia to be more akin to breathing in the smoke from a campfire or a burning leather wallet. The charred wood flavor was originally somewhat off putting for me. I've since discovered that blending Latakia with a light tough into an aromatic - such as in Captain Black "Black Sea" can be a great 'outdoors' smoke. I would never smoke a Latikia blend in the house - or for that matter - in my garage because it has the lingering scent of a house fire. And my wife has expressed her dissatisfaction with the room note. So I limit smoking them to outdoors ... and usually in the Fall. 
  • Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
    Just when I acquired a taste for drew estate meat pie they kicked it to the curb.Have quantities of Margate and and so to bed that I'm frugal with due to supply issues
  • Options
    http://www.glpease.com/Articles/Latakia.html

A Tale of Two Latakias

Introduction

For many years, Syrian Latakia has been virtually unobtainable. We've heard many lament the passing of this noble leaf, often accompanied by a feeling that if Syrian Latakia were still available, everything would suddenly be right in the world of tobacco. But, this delusion is certainly not limited to our Lady Nicotine. In our quest for the Arcadia Mixture of olde, we often seem to lose sight of the fact that things of the past often become more precious once they are no longer available to us. (This is one of the tragedies of art; an artist is rarely fully recognized, financially, for his or her talent until their death assures us that no more work will be produced, thus rendering priceless what was once merely acclaimed - or in some cases, just odd.)

In our collective mourning over the absence of the sacred Syrian, it becomes easy to take for granted what we do have. What about the fine leaf from Cyprus? With Syrian Latakia once again finding its way into our pipes, perhaps it is a good time to examine briefly the world of Latakia in general. Taking a little closer look at each type will offer us the opportunity to gain a new perspective on both varieties of this wonderfully smoky, noble weed.

Characteristics of Latakia

Though the original Latakia of Syria, a necessary ingredient of many classic mixtures of yesteryear, and the now more common Cyprian leaf, share a name and a curing technique, these two tobaccos are quite distinct from one another, each having unique qualities, and very different personalities.

Syrian Latakia is produced from the long, narrow leaves of the plant known as "shekk-el-bint." After harvesting, the leaf is sun-dried, then hung in barns to be smoked over smoldering fires of local herbs and woods, imparting the characteristic smoky aroma and distinctive flavor. Shekk-el-bint is a strong tobacco, possessing a hefty dose of nicotine which is partially responsible for the robust "body" of the smoke. After the long curing process, the leaf is a deep mahogany/brown color, with a pungent, earthy, slightly sharp, smoky aroma reminiscent of driftwood campfires on the beach. Its very assertive flavor is spicy and somewhat tangy; perhaps one could even consider it tart, and it can easily dominate a blend if used in large measure, prevailing over all but the most robust Virginias. In small amounts, it mingles delicately with its cohorts; in large quantities, it tends to elect itself to high office. Smoked straight, it becomes downright dictatorial - sensory overload occurs quickly, and the tangy aftertaste lingers on the tongue. It can also create spinning rooms for those not accustomed to or tolerant of large doses of nicotine.

Syrian Latakia's island cousin from across the Mediterranean begins life as as a plant of the the small leafed Smyrna, or Izmir variety. This is a Turkish type tobacco, containing little nicotine, and known for its delicately sweet flavor and excellent burning characteristics. The harvested leaf is air-cured in sheds, and then fumigated in a manner similar that used for Syrian Latakia. The finished product is nearly black, with a deeper, darker aroma than the Syrian counterpart. Its flavor, in comparison, presents less piquancy, and a rounder, less focused smokiness. Its notable sweetness is unlike that of a matured Virginia, or a flavored aromatic, but somewhat more sneaky, coming in to camp under cover of darkness. Though more gentle than Syrian in its nature, Cyprian Latakia can nevertheless be opaque, overwhelming more delicate tobaccos if used in very large measure. A similar sensory overload to that of the Syrian variety occurs if Cyprian is smoked straight, sans Hollywood special effects, though the aftertaste is somewhat more ephemeral.

Each of these tobaccos provides a distinct and unique color on the blender's palette, and with Syrian Latakia's long absence, many hues in the spectrum of English style mixtures have been all but missing. That the supply line is once again open is truly exciting news for the lover of these sophisticated tobaccos, as it expands and extends the range of possibilities for creating new blends, while simultaneously affording the opportunity to perhaps revive some of the classic blends of the past.

Blending with Latakia

Blending is a balancing act; though guidelines can be invented, there are no hard rules. The strength and depth of each individual tobacco in a blend must be considered, along with the result the blender is seeking. The percentages indicated in the following paragraphs merely serve as a practical point of reference. Every smoker will have an individual reaction to the various components of a recipe, but, in a well executed blend, each ingredient should combine harmoniously, resulting in a blend which is truly more than the sum of the parts.

If Cyprian Latakia can be compared to a fine Vintage Port, Syrian could be likened to a dry Fino Sherry. For this reason, these two tobaccos must be handled very differently when creating a blend. Latakia of either type can be detected in a mixture in quantities as small as 3%, and by 5%, their presence is unmistakable. Beyond these small portions, they really begin to puff out their feathers.

When the amount of Cyprian leaf in a blend approaches 10%, its deep, uniquely sweet flavors come alive, and its character develops continually up to a level of about 40-50%, at which point the Latakia will overshadow just about any other tobacco in a blend, resulting in a loss of nuance and complexity, and a rather mono dimensional smoking experience. Certainly, there are blends which contain even more Cyprian Latakia than 50%, and these are enjoyed by many smokers, though more for the "Latakia Experience" than for any allusion at subtlety.

Because of its sweetness, Cyprian Latakia blends seamlessly, in moderate measures, with Virginias, enhancing the complexity of the mixture, while adding some body and its distinctive, smoky flavor. The combination of Cyprian leaf with oriental tobaccos is perhaps where the greatest care must be employed. Because of their delicacy, these "Turkish" tobaccos are easily overpowered by the more intense flavors of the Latakia. While a delicate hand is rewarded by a blend of sublime subtlety, a heavy touch is akin putting too many habaneros in the salsa; one doesn't soon forget the experience.

Syrian Latakia's wine-like character begins to fully emerge at about 10% to 12%, increasing the strength of its "voice" until it becomes quite dominant as the quantity approaches 30-35%, where its tanginess can become unpleasant if not mitigated with the careful choice of other leaf. Care must especially be taken when blending with more delicate tobaccos to avoid sensory saturation, where the spice and tart flavors of the Latakia consume much of the smoker's attention, leaving little room for subtlety. An additional consideration is nicotine content; Syrian Latakia is a stronger tobacco, and too much in a blend can create a real "sit-down" smoke.

The flavor of Syrian Latakia, while intense, is somehow more transparent than that of Cyprian. Used sparingly, It can add new dimensions to an oriental mixture with its sharp, direct smokiness. Care must especially be taken when blending it with Virginias, however. In small amounts, it can add a pleasant brilliance to a darker, matured Virginia, but if too much is used, the result can be discordant. As with any spice, erring on the side of caution is generally the wise approach.

• Options
    Sooo many to chose from, but at the top of the list are: (in no order)

1. Capt Earls  10 Russians & Nightwatch
    2. C&D Rajah's Court & Star of the East in all its forms
    3. H&H Opus Magnum
    4. SPC  Rainier Levant & Plum Pudding reserve
    5. G.L. Please Gaslight & Quiet Nights
    6. Comoy's Cask 11 & the British strength version
    7. C&D 10 to Midnight, & Billy Budd & Pirate Kake & Midnight Drive
    8. Lane BS-005 & HGL
    9. Dunhill Durbar & My Mixture 985 & London Mixture
    10. Bjaren Viking St. Olaf

And the list goes on.

• Options
    Fun to see this discussion revived! I would had PS Proper English to my original list.
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited August 2018
    There are so many I love! G.L. Pease does magnificent work with Latakia. Gaslight, Lagonda, Maltese Falcon and Quiet Nights are all top notch for me. Frog Mortons, Fusilier’s Ration, PS English Luxury, TCS Cornishman, Baker Street, Shepherd’s Pie, Balkan Sasieni, Balkan Supreme, Seattle Evening, Nightcap is ok. I’m not real big on Dunhill blends. Don’t know why. Lol. I’m a big ol weirdo I guess  :D
  • Options
    I do love Latakia blends. Bellow in no particular order:
    Capt Earls: 10 Russians and Nightwatch
    Seattle Pipe Club : Plum Puding
    C & D : Super Balkain
    Peterson : Wild Atlantic
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited September 2018
    The Frogs 
    Presbyterian Mixture
    CS Cornishman
    Early Morning Pipe

• Options
    Capstan does not have latakia. It is a straight Virginia.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited September 2018
    @judandhispipe — oops, you’re right. I’ll edit my post. Thanks Jud!

** I’m smoking some Presbyterian Mix right now...  delicious!
  • Options
    This has been a very helpful article.. I totally mis understood Latakia’s/. Thank youo
  • Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    edited September 2018
    Hi
      Sad to say you will find articles, books, statements, videos that differ on some of the details, especially defining the categories of Latakia blends. It makes for fun debate around the smoking table.
  • Options
    Sure there are disagreements, because the labels are all marketing terms.
  • Options
    SWMBO likens the essence of Latakia to the entire Syrian army walking by barefoot and unwashed.
    But I like @ghostsofpompeii's "campfire" or "burning leather wallet."
    I used to enjoy Latakia blends in my first pipe life (1964 to mid/late 1980's) but this time around I'm dedicated to rum/vanilla aromatics.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    edited September 2018
    My favorites and regular Autum and Winter rotation Latakia tobaccos are:
    • Dunhill Early Morning Pipe Mixture
    • Dunhill London Mixture
    • Dunhill Standard Mixture
    • G. L. Pease Westminster pipe tobacco
    • Presbyterian
    • Peterson 1865
    • Kramer's English Blend
    • Davidoff English Mixture
    • Davidoff Royalty

• Options
    Country squire angry cornishman
    hh vintage syrian
    frog Morton (+cellar)
    northwest Treck country squire

these are the ones ive been loving lately, especially the HH

i don’t smoke very often come summer time, but when i do, I’m reaching for a lat blend. 
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited September 2018
    Smoking some King’s King of Swords blend right now. It’s a Full English which is no longer available.

Almost forgot about Mike and Russ’s The Mind Meld Latakia blend too.
  • Options
    Since I started this two years ago, things have continued to evolve, as they do.

I am saddened that my beloved Murdock's Pipe has been discontinued. I did not know, so have no stash to speak of.
    Happily I am well supplied with HH VS, which for some reason I did not list, but should have.

HH Latakia Flake is a winner,for sure. I have also come to appreciate PS Proper English, which I had not sampled at that time.
    Dunhill Stadard is not the staple that it once was, but still makes appearances in the rotation.
    Finally, I have discovered Murray 1A Linfield, John Cotton Latakia, and H&H Fleet Commander.
  • Options
    Other than the Captain Black "Black Sea" the only other aromatic Latakia blend I discovered in my cellar was Edward G Robinson. 
  • Options
    I wonder where that came from.......
  • Options
    @motie2 I wish I could come up with a tall tale about receiving it from Edward G Robinson himself ... but we both know that would be untrue.
  • Options
    I remember all this, from my first pipe life, when I smoked Balkan Sobranie. <giggle>

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2010

My "decompression chamber"... or where smoke.

We have all had this happen....

You are walking down the street and you see an old man puffing away on his pipe and after you pass him you smell the wonderful scent of smoke that smells like a dessert.

Well thats not what happens when you pass me on the street smoking my pipe. Oh ,people see me coming , and they think how wonderful to see something from the old world... waiting to catch a whiff of my pipe brew.....and then it hits them . The odor of burned leather, overdone steak, camel dung tossed on a fire, or the best I have heard ... scented car exhaust. The stuff I smoke tastes like heaven but smells like hell....at least to everyone but me. I am a lover of latakia blends and flakes and almost everything I smoke has Virginian tobacco in it . Perique is also a nice change of pace from time to time...... 

Posted by Cardone at 8:22 PM

• Options
    What makes a blend an English blend? Is it the presence of Latakia? And what's a Balkan blend? 

See attached .pdf
  • Options
    in no particular order...

Proper English
    Nightcap
    Star of the east
    Yule log
    Plantation evening

I recently tried Missouri meerschaum American patriot blend as well. Not super latakia and it had a whiskey flavoring but it was a damn fine smoke none the less (I am not a fan of aromatics in general) I blended a bit of captain earls nightwatch with it and was pleasantly surprised at the fullness of the smoke

• Options
    I must add 965 and Balkan saseini to my list
  • Options
    Let’s all pour out a small libation for Frog Morton ...

Can I ask a question in this thread about the “hybrid blends?” I tried and enjoyed northwest trek from TCS. I’m thinking that the nuanced combination may be something I like. Does anyone have experience with these? What should I try next?