Home General
Options

Aerosol Room Fresheners - Making It Worse By Masking The Smell

Although my wife supports my hobby, and has bought me the nicest pipes in my collection, I normally don't smoke in the house because she developed respiratory problems a few years ago. So I either smoke outside or in the garage, which she helped to transform into a sort of smoking man cave. But when she goes to sleep at night - and our bedrooms are clear on the other end of the house - she doesn't mind me smoking in the family room when it's exceptionally cold or too hot and humid in the garage. I don't take advantage of the agreement, and limit my indoor smoking. But whenever I do, I'll go from room-to-room spraying all sorts of different cheap aerosol house sprays to mask the smell. It seemed to work because she never complained. But little did I know it was the stench of the cheap house sprays that bothered my wife more than the trace ghosts of tobacco aroma.

She's a day person and I'm a night person. She'll wake up at about 4:30 or 5:00 while I'll be up until 2 in the morning. So when I do wake up at around 9:00 the house smells fresh, without a trace of last night's tobacco fest. So I assumed I did a good job of masking the scent. But it was only recently while at the supermarket when I grabbed a couple cans of air freshener that my wife suggested I put the cans back on the shelf. I was shocked! She then revealed that each morning the house smelled like dead flowers and cheap perfume so she would open the windows to cross ventilate - and let the room air out. Then in about an hour or so the smell in the house was clean and fresh and she could close the windows. 

I assumed it was my nightly air assault of room spray that quelled the stench of my tobacco, when in reality masking the scent with room deodorizer made matters worse. So it's back to the garage.      

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    My friends in the funeral industry recommended OZIUM. They use it to mask.... well, you know.... and it does not smell like flowers and it dissipates quickly. Don't know how it works, but it does. Nothing beats it: not cat pee/poop, corpses, vomit, whatever. It even eliminates tobacco/smoke odors.

And SWMBO still won't let me smoke in the house.
  • Options
    Smoking a bowl of OZIUM might not be a bad idea. Sound pretty exotic anyway.
  • Options
    I've had a good experience using a small Ozone Generator to clear my porch from my Son's Cigarette smoke. I follow directions and don't run it for more than an hour. I also don't go out there when it's running and air out the porch after use.
  • Options
    I spray my apartment with Febreze Air Effects, it works pretty well.