Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Is Dunhill the "Harley Davidson" of Pipes?

Having read many of the comments and information here on the site, I am coming to the conclusion that Dunhill pipes are regarded in a similar manner to Harley-Davidson motorcycles:  they have been around a long time with a history of quality (varying to some degrees in HD's case); they are "traditional"; and they don't lose their value (in some cases increase in value).
Is this the case with Dunhill or is it just my imagination reading between the lines?

Comments

• Options
    Watchmaker61Watchmaker61 Enthusiast
    Harley, Rolex, Dunhill in my opinion are not what they used to and are just "living" off their reputation. And and reality they never where any better than their competition, it was just marketing and status appeal.
  • Options
    I can't say from experience that Dunhills are overrated, but based on their reputation, I'd say the Harley comparison is apt. Given how long they've been around, though, I'd say it's earned.
  • Options
    I don't ride a Harley or any other bike and I can't afford a Dunhill so I never smoked one to form an opinion.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    I was checking the prices on Ebay and they are outrageous for a simple billiard Dunhill.  I could put a new engine in my car for the same money.
    Maybe there are rich people out there or collectors who have cash to burn.
  • Options
    They still make Harleys. They don't make Dunhills any longer. 
    I would say the Dunhill's would be closer to some of the great English motorcycles like the Vincent-HRD or Nortons.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Thanks @PappyJoe, I think you've hit the nail on the head.  Dunhill might be like a Black Shadow.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I knew Mr. Watchmaker was going to mention Rolex. I'm glad he did not say Patek, but I knew he wouldn't. 

The question might now be, who is the new Dunhill? If I were to be in the market in that price range for a new pipe, there are some small independant shops making pipes of such a great quality it would be tempting to go for a commissioned piece. Things like reputation and resale (if that matters to you) may come into play but there is a lot of high quality stuff out there if you're interested. Also, for the most part, a company can't build a reputation like Dunhill's without earning it. You can't get away with garbage for very long. 

White Spot pipes can't even play on that reputation earned by Dunhill. 

On a similar note, I'm sure the established big companies have the inside track on the best briar. That is something to think about. You could be the best carver in the world but the quality of the birar makes all the difference.

• Options

I've never owned a Dunhill, but I have owned more than one Harley. I believe one of the reasons I probably never owned a Dunhill, is because I have owned more than one Harley.

Some Harley owners refer to the dealership, as the "stealership." When you have to give $50 to upgrade your factory plastic tail light lenses, to smoked plastic tail light lenses, you begin to understand why Harley Davidson is one of the greatest success stories in American history, and how you are an integral part of making it all possible.

• Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    All I can say on the subject is this. 

I used to own a Harley.
    I own 2 Dunhills, (that I got for a steal mind you 1 for $8 at an antique shop and 1 for $66) and I can say that they are great smokers. They are an old and storied English pipe company much like Charatan which is my favorite of the old English brands.
  • Options
    I own a few Dunhill's (not my favorite smokers). I finally bought a Castello (very decent smoker).  Oddly enough, a cheap eBay find and most cobs have given me some of my favorite smokes! :)

• Options
    edited June 2019

The internet and EBAY have made it very difficult for us to find those treasures like an old Dunhill in an antique store or second had consignment shop for dirt cheap because the store owners have gotten a lot smarter, and are now researching merchandise on the internet before putting a price on an item. It's happening at used DVD resale shops as well. Out of print movies I might have once been able to get for under $3.00 are now going for more than the original retail price because they've learned how rare the title has become. I've seen titles at Disc Reply for close to $100.00 for some used DVDs. The same has happened with the owner of an antique store where I acquired several of my restoration project pipes, like my Custom-Bilt. I bought mine for $5.00, now he has a similar pipe in even worse shape than mine was going for $45.00. And that stem has been chewed to bits. He also increased the price on all the other old Dr. Grabows, Yellow Bowls, and Kaywoodies from $5.00 to $25.00 or $35.00.   

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    The difference between Dunhill pipes (I've only owned one, from my previous pipe life) and Harleys is that when I come to a complete stop the Dunhill allows me to have both feet on the ground. On a Harley, my feet don't reach the ground and I fall over. 
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I'm certain that Dunhill pipes are considerably quieter than the pipes on a Harley-Davidson. The Dunhill will also probably have less chrome and be a lot less likely to leak oil.
  • Options

There are some Phenomenal Craftsman made pipes out there for WAY too much money but, they are beautiful.

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    There are all different price points and many different levels of craftsmanship, you just have to find the right fit for you. Find a newcomer who hasn't commanded the top tier prices yet and you'll get a pipe that years from now you can't afford but you can now. It's hard to do on the internet, but definitely worth trying. 

In general I do agree with you Mr. Woodsman, there are some pipes that I can't believe sell for what they are asking, but some people do buy them and it's their money.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    https://murderofravens.org/category/pipe-smoking/

Trigger warning: Satire

<<Dunhill Displays Alfred’s Remains

The remarkably well preserved remains of Alfred Dunhill were recently exhumed and put on display at the Dunhill Shop in Duke St, London, as part of a publicity stunt aimed at increasing foot traffic into the store. The company claimed that Alfred had actually come back to life and was ready, willing, and eager to once again serve his customers “after the time honored Dunhill traditions of superior products and really, really, extravagant pricing structures”.

At first, this seemingly misbegotten scheme worked astonishingly well. Dunhill’s customers were amazed and delighted at the idea of old Alfred come back to life, and engaged him in several fascinating conversation on such diverse topics as the afterlife, the Conservative Party, and just what the hell was he thinking when he created Royal Yacht. The manager, smelling a marketing coup in the making, even hinted that it was the wonderful restorative properties of Dunhill tobaccos that had something to do with Alfred’s sudden miraculous resurrection.

By tea time, however, customers began to be suspicious of Alfred’s return from the hereafter on account of two rather inconvenient and difficult to explain facts:

1. Alfred would become strangely uncommunicative, downright sullen really, whenever the manager nipped out to the water closet or took a sip of his tea. People were at first inclined to attribute this to his being unused to the company of the living after having been dead for so long, until the next inconvenient fact manifested itself:2. A rather peculiar smell began to emanate from Alfie’s corner of the room that could not be attributed to anything else in the store, not even the open tin of Royal Yacht.

Smelling a rat, among other things, customers loudly insisted on more solid proof of Alfred’s rejuvenation, perhaps answer some questions while the manager drank a whole cup of tea.

The ensuing row was overheard by none other than Graham Chapman, the pipe smoking member of Monty Python’s Flying Circus, who happened to be in the shop that day, and who immortalized it in his “Dead Dunhill” sketch. Sadly, Dunhill got wind of this, and to avoid a lawsuit, Chapman, while leaving the dialogue almost entirely intact, changed a few minor details to hide the true inspiration for the sketch, and so the the “Dead Parrot” sketch was born.

The “Dead Parrot” sketch, of course, went on to become one of the troops most famous bits of lunacy. Most people are naturally unaware that the shopkeeper’s famous line, “He’s not dead, he’s stunned” was actually taken verbatim from the ensuing argument Chapman had with the Dunhill manager after Chapman blew a cloud of Royal Yacht smoke directly into Alfred’s face in an attempt to provoke some reaction from the supposedly resurrected founder.>>
  • Options
    Never really thought of a Dunhill in Harley terms...  That's more apples & oranges really.

I think of it more along the lines of...  A Duesenberg.

But hey, just my $.02
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Thought Savinelli was the Cadillac of pipes. hmm, what do i know, im a newbie.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    More like apples and pineapples. Apples and oranges have too much in common..

Or Apples and a wooden block.
  • Options
    First , full disclosure.

I am an "EEN" addict.

Cafeen
    Adrenoleen
    Gasoleen
    &
    Nicoteen

My dad was a master mechanic, I grew up wrenching on bicycles, scooters, atv's , motorcycles, boats, cars and eventually airplanes.

I've owned well over 35 or 40 vehicles in my lifetime, a few boats and 8 or more street bikes.  Having only owned 1 Harley, I always kind of equated them to something along the lines of one of my ol Muscle Cars.  That being the case, I never really equated a Dunny with a GTO, Nova SS or Shelby Cobra GT 500 Mustang.

Maybe it's just me?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I used to teach students the "Shun Cycle." 

Evaporation
    Condensation
    Precipitation
    Cultivation
    Harvestation
    Celebration (or starvation)
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2018

THE EARLY DUNHILL OD

© JOHN C LORING 

Traditionally the “OD” has been the most collectable of Dunhill pipes, yet historically speaking we know little about it.  It’s origins are uncertain. I suspect it dates to the early 1920’s,  priced in line with the straight grained DR and above the letter designated shapes which in turn were initially priced somewhat higher then the ‘standard’ number designated shapes (subsequently, in the 1920’s, the letter and number designated shapes were priced the same).  The meaning of  “OD”, which is sometimes found with a following letter ranging from “A” to “J”, a further price/grade indicator based on overall production costs and quality of the pipe,  is not definitely known but it is consistently said to stand for “Own Design”.    

If we are not quite sure when the line began or what it was intended to be our knowledge doesn’t get much better when we try to define what it actually was before 1953.  Generally our knowledge of Dunhill pipes comes from reviewing both catalogues and surviving pipes.  But unfortunately, when it comes to ODs  prior to 1953 we find only isolated catalogue references and few surviving examples.  Still there are some references, some examples and some other source material and in this paper I will try to patch these together, all the while recognizing that like all such efforts in time there will be  revisions.  

In this paper I will suggest four relatively new, perhaps controversial, thoughts leading to the conclusion that the ‘Modern ODA Line’ began in 1953.  First, that due to economic circumstances there was never an OD retail pipe line as such prior to World War II.  Second, that the post war ‘ODA’ pipe line that we all know wasn’t Dunhill’s initial post war objective, but rather came about in the fluidity of a changing customer base and competition.  Third, that in the post WWII period smooth finished oversized standard shape pipes, ‘semi-giants’, were uniformly stamped ODB rather then ODA only because of the  then high cost of Italian briar.  And fourth, that in 1951 and 1952 ‘semi-giant’ Shell finished pipes were not considered part of the post-war OD line.  Lastly, the reader may perceive a veiled suggestion that Dunhill might be viewed as the pre WWII parent of the high grade ‘Free Hand’ briar pipe – that should raise some hackles.  

PRE WORLD WAR II 

From inception Dunhill was an innovative pipe maker, not only in terms of mechanics but also in terms of design.  The non standard letter shapes of the 1910s, the “LB” billiard, the “R” pot, the “P” bent bulldog and the “K” apple quickly became important standard shapes of the 1920s and after.  And the quaint shapes of the 1920s likewise found a welcoming audience:

That said the pre-war OD is nonetheless almost mythical.  In terms of catalogue references and reported surviving examples we know of less then two dozen pipes, most of which are pictured here.  

Further confusing the picture, as shown below we know of three ‘group 6sh’ pipes dating from 1928 to 1931 stamped “DR” but which seemingly could just as easily have been stamped “OD” with a place in the  1928 OD catalog pages:

There is also a small pre World War II ‘sketch book’ in the Dunhill archives illustrating perhaps fifty ODs but as I have not been able to study it in detail I can not be certain if any of the sketched pipes were actually carved, a particularly important question mark since execution of some of the sketched pipes would appear to have required use of spliced briar elements and non-briar materials. 

I can however, make a few observations.  

First, while at least in 1928 the OD was priced and graded roughly in line with the DR, far, far fewer pre-war ODs were produced as compared to pre-war DRs or any of the rare shapes such as LCs and magnums.  That is to say that the OD is easily the rarest of Dunhill pre-war pipes.  

Second,  with one exception all known pre-war ODs are smooth finished pipes and taking into account what we know about the early post war OD, it is most likely that in the pre-war period the OD was understood to be a smooth finished pipe. 

Third, unlike the general pre-war Dunhill ‘quaint’ shapes which were without exception ‘group 3’ and ‘group 4’ in size,  the pre-war OD was a large pipe.  The smallest, the carved heads, were ‘group 5’/’group 6’ in size, the ODs shown in the 1928 catalog were as a whole large ‘group 6’, and the ODG BullDog pictured above appears to be the largest known pre-war Dunhill pipe.  Yet size alone did not make an OD, to wit:  dozens of pre-war Dunhill magnums are known, but the pictured ODG is the only one with an OD stamping;  likewise the LC bent shapes and  the 482 billiard shape are ‘group 6’ sized pipes, yet none were stamped “OD”. 

Fourth, if size alone didn’t make an “OD” the same seems to hold true for specially carved  pipes as well.  For instance in addition to the three DRs pictured above I have a 1937 Dunhill “Bacchus”  head, in all respects at least the equal of the above pictured “Chamberlain” OD, but which is not stamped “OD”. 

Fifth, the OD is completely absent from Dunhill catalogs until 1928, and then save for one repeat page  in an early 1930’s catalog, disappears again. 

(continued)

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2018

DUNHILL PART 2

All of this leads me to the following speculation:   The Dunhill 1928 “About Smoke” catalog, easily Dunhill’s finest, was in fact a prideful statement of the Company’s astounding growth over the then past decade, and a roadmap for its then intended future.   Part of that roadmap was the introduction of the “OD” line, a line of unique, large ‘one of a kind’ ‘hand pipes’, reminiscent of, but quite different from, the elegant meerschaums of the previous century, and essentially new to the world of briar pipes (Danish, Italian and the other English ‘free hands’ are post WWII phenomena).  I suggest that a full two page exhibit  of these magnificently carved pipes where before there was nary a whisper hardly leaves room for any other conclusion.   But unfortunately it was a still born introduction given the dramatic world wide economic collapse that shortly followed. 

By this I do not mean to suggest that the OD began and ended in 1928, for obviously the 1925 magnum and the 1939 carved head pictured above demonstrate that it did not.  But I do mean to suggest that for most of the pre WWII period the OD existed more as a concept then as a retail line of pipes.  Custom ordered high end pipes at above standard pricing might be referred to as ODs but there was no need to stamp them such since the pipe and invoice went directly out to the ordering customer.  Likewise if an occasional specially carved premium priced pipe was put out for sale in one of Dunhill’s London shops, the experienced staff of those two shops could be trusted to recognize such a pipe and recall or check for the correct price without the need of a special OD stamp.  Essentially then  this meant that the OD stamp was needed for only those few pipes put out in the retail stream beyond London.  

POST WORLD WAR II 

Commencing in 1950 Dunhill introduced a line of pipes assigned three digit shape numbers starting with 8, the “800” series, and stamped with an “OD” followed by a letter grade stamp above that shape number.  In contrast to the pre-war ODs these post-war pipes were often considerably smaller and, regardless of size, were ‘production line’ pipes as opposed to the ‘one of a kind’ pre-war ODs.  These “800” series pipes essentially fell into two sub-lines: ‘fancies’ (my term): shape numbers beginning with 80_ and 86_; and ‘semi-giants’ (the Dunhill factory term): shape numbers beginning with 83_  (and later 84_ and 85_).  The fancies (80_and 86_ ) were as a whole  ‘group 4sh’ sized pipes reminiscent of some of the pre-war quaint shapes with the 80_  shapes recalling earlier times and the 86_ shapes looking towards the future.  The semi-giants (83_  and also the 806) were larger, ‘group 5sh/6sh’, versions of standard shapes.   In fairly short order the fancies fell by the wayside and the semi-giants developed into the pipes we commonly refer to today as “ODA”s.  But to begin to understand and speculate how and why this happened we have to step back a few years.

For Dunhill, like all English companies, the period from 1939 through 1953 was particularly difficult.  During the World War II itself Dunhill production suffered from severe shortages of briar, vulcanite, and tooling and least we forget, an over abundance of aerial bombings.  And for several years after, while the details changes, the difficulties did not.  Until the 1950s Dunhill pipe production appears to have been lower then when it was a fledgling company in World War I and after thirty consecutive years of annual pipe catalogs there wasn’t even one such for the entirety of the 1940s.  

Following war’s end the supply of vulcanite and tooling freed up, but briar was not so readily available.  Italian briar which Dunhill used for its smooth finished pipes didn’t become available in blocks suitable for larger pipes until 1948 and then initially only at very high prices.  The supply of Algerian briar became available sooner but Dunhill used that briar only for its Shell finish pipes.  Equally, if not more importantly, there was a dramatic change in Dunhill’s customer base, in short for all practical purposes only Americans could afford to buy Dunhill pipes in any volume.  Thus targeting the American market was of utmost importance.  And in that latter regard there was a particularly irksome development amongst the competition. 

Barling began making pipes long before Dunhill but unlike Dunhill before the war Barling had concentrated almost exclusively in making ‘group 3sh/group 4sh’ air dried smooth finished Algerian briar pipes for English pipe shops to be sold in England.  Remarkably however, with hardly any prior export or large pipe experience after the war Barling began to successfully target the American market and significantly expanded it’s line to include  much larger standard shape pipes (the “EXL” & “EXEXL” sizes) that many American pipe smokers soon came to prefer.  In one respect however, Barling was handicapped.  Because Barling used soft air dried untreated Algerian briar it could not effectively produce a counterpart to the popular Dunhill oil and heat treated Shell finish as all too often sandblasting would simply blow away the soft untreated Algerian briar (later Barling  compensated by producing sandblast pipes from harder, non-Algerian, briar).  However, this was not an immediate problem as initially Dunhill was not producing meaningful numbers of large pipes in any finish. 

Dunhill of course was not without experience in making large pipes, the LB, the LC, the 482, the ODs  and of course the magnum, but aside from the LB none of these pipes had been of particular commercial success.  So in terms of Dunhill’s pre-war world wide market, of which the US was only a part, the large ‘group 6sh’ pipe was of little import.  On the other hand, as discussed earlier, in that same pre-war period Dunhill had had success with medium sized quaint pipes. 

I still recall when I first saw the fabled first post war catalog pages from the Xmas 1952 & 1953 catalogs each picturing a few ODs.  With  minimal knowledge of Dunhill’s history and knowing only that “ODA” meant a large Shell classic shape pipe, I was much let down by what I saw – comparatively small, only smooth finishes and generally weird:

• Options

But now it is easy to see that in circa 1950 the essential perception at Dunhill, especially given the constraints imposed by a limited supply of Italian briar, was a  line of development from pre-war quaints to the 1928 style ODs to the post war fancy (80_ and 86_) ODs,  and not to the semi-giant (83_) ODs that were the focus of my untutored, late 20th century, perceptions.   

But if it was a logical progression Dunhill was quick to see that logic aside, these OD fancies were not what the American pipe smokers were looking for.  And Dunhill was equally quick to see that the for the most part the semi-giant ODs were favorably received, as were Barling’s EXLs and EXEXLs, and as were Dunhill’s larger Shell finished pipes for which Barling had no meaningful counterpart. 

The earliest of the semi-giant 83_ shapes that we presently know of are a pair of 1949 Shell 832s (saddle bend “LB”sh lovat) stamped only “ODA” without a shape number since the 800 series shape numbers were not implemented until a year later.  These were followed by the 806 (apple), 830 (liverpool), 831 (small bent),  834 (prince) 835 (tapered bit billiard), 836 (square panel), 837 (bulldog), 838 (straight rhodesian), and 839 (bent rhodesian).  A late 1952 factory memo bearing a later, 1980’s, Dunhill archivist annotation suggests that through 1952 effectively all of the new ‘800 series’ semi-giant ODs  were smooth finished and because of the then high cost of the briar, were graded ODB. (Note the situation differed with respect to the smaller smooth finished fancy (80_ and 86_) shapes where  grades ODA, ODB and ODC are all found.)  

In both respects (all smooth finishes, all ODBs) I find these suggestions supported based on what I have seen.  

First, as discussed earlier up to this point in time the OD line was essentially viewed as a smooth finish line. 

Second, I know of no smooth finished semi-giant (83_) OD pipes stamped other then ODB prior to 1953.   

Third, aside from the two 1949 832 Shells noted above the only semi-giant type Shell pipes from this period that I know of are a 1952 835 stamped as a group 4, “(4) 835”, rather then  “OD” and a 1950 “LOX” (for all intents and purposes an 837) also stamped (in 1951) as a group 4 rather then “OD”. 

This strongly suggests that in 1950/1951 when the group size system was considered and implemented it was determined that the larger, semi-giant type Shell shapes, which would be considered “ODB”s if smooth finished, should not part of the OD line and instead priced as Group 4s. This I should add is consistent with the pre-war practice of treating large Shells such as the LC or the 482 as standard price shapes. 

In short then I am presently of the view that up to 1953 the post-war semi-giant OD line essentially consisted of  smooth finished pipes uniformly graded ODB because of the high cost of Italian briar and that while a  few similarly shaped Shells were graded ODA through 1950, in 1951 and 1952 such Shells were not considered part of the semi-giant OD line and instead graded as Group 4s. 

Beginning in 1953 the smooth finished semi-giant ODBs were downgraded to ODAs, I assume due to a combination of  reduced briar costs and competition (I know of no ODB or higher stamped semi-giant pipe after 1952 until the recent reintroduction of the OD semi-giants).  At the same time Shell finished Group 4 semi-giants were upgraded to ODA, began to be produced in large number and soon came to be the dominate the new ‘ODA line’.  Thereafter the balance of ODA semi-giant shapes (84_ and 85_) were filled out,  Barling’s temporary large pipe dominance of the American market was thwarted and the OD 800 series fancies (80_ and 86_) were abandoned.   

Thus was born in 1953 the modern Dunhill “ODA” line.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited June 2019
    What is the ne plus ultra of mainstream pipe producers? Is it Dunhill? GBD? Chacom? Vauen? Butz Chauquin? Brebbia? Our own Abbspipes by Corey? Nording? Peterson? Rattray? Savinelli? Stanwell? Comoy? Dagner? I know some of these are better than others, but what's considered the best pipe?

I mean, for me, it's whatever pipe I like the best..... and it's none of the above. But what's the general consensus? Who's best?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @ghostsofpompeii -- I thought I was the only sucka to buy a LeCar. I drove it for two North Dakota winters. Not advisable. Nor summertime driving. 
  • Options
    @motie2 My poor wife was nearly killed in our LeCar. She was struck head on by a driver who immediately left the scene. The LeCar spun around and ended up in the other lane of oncoming traffic, where she was promptly hit in the rear by another car - literally crumbling the car from both ends. It looked more like an accordion than an automobile. And making matters worse it appeared to be constructed of paper thin sheet metal no thicker than a Coke can. Coincidentally the accident happened right in front of our our State Farm Insurance agent's building. Since all he had to do was run out the front door, he was the first on scene. Looking at the state of the car after the accident it's a wonder she survived. All I know is I'll never buy a sub-compact car again.