Home Ask an Expert
Options

Tips For Wet Smokers

Let's help some of these new pipe smokers out...what are your tips to help stop smoking wet and having that pipe gurgle? 

Comments

• Options
    Don't smoke goopy aros. :D
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    For tobaccos that I notice smoking wet, I'll load my bowl the day before so it has a chance to dry out overnight and, for the most part, it helps a ton.  I do have some that smoke wet no matter what and usually they are goopy aromatics that I have from when I first got into pipes and I just don't smoke them anymore or give them to a friend that will smoke anything under the sun.
  • Options
    I always keep a pipe cleaner with me when I smoke. Usually by the time I am at the half bowl mark i will ash my pipe and run a pipe cleaner in the stem to mop up any moisture, then continue with the last half of my bowl. Makes for a dryer, better tasting smoke in my opinion. I do not have any pipe gurgle issues luckily
  • Options
    Great tips there guys!
  • Options
    Don't clench. I think you get more of a gurgle problem when you're clenching the pipe and your saliva is running down the stem. By not clenching you deter that from happening.

Also, the pipe cleaner suggestion is good.
  • Options
    I always have cleaners at hand. Never hurts to run one through about half way through the smoke, if not before.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    Don't talk while the pipe is hanging from your lips. And don't just let it hang there for a prolonged period of time. Talking always causes me to salivate even more.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @pappyjoe I hadn't ever thought about the clenching causing my pipes to gurgle more... your right.  I can have a gurgle in my pipe one day because I am clenching and driving but when sitting out back I normally hold my pipe and take it out of my mouth and the clenching doesn't occur.  I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    Some folks will tell you that internal engineering is the secret to a dry smoking pipe. While I am certainly not trying to diss artisan carvers who do outstanding work, I can tell you that I have many cheap pipes in my collection that smoke very dry. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear a pipe smoker complain of a gurgling pipe, is that he or she most likely has the pipe packed too tightly. While more tobacco may make the smoking experience last longer, at the same time it makes for a sub standard smoking experience.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    The clenching is surely a cause, I have found that out by experience, using a pipe cleaner during the smoke can really be a big help as well as letting any moist tobacco dry out a tad before packing or igniting (this can help with tongue bite also). I think that is a large reason why a lot of people want to make sure a cleaner will pass from stem button to bowl before they make a pipe purchase. I spoke with my tobacconist about this and another key is to have a good cake built in the bottom of the pipe, that helps to absorb a lot of the moisture to stop gurgle so it doesn't come up the shank/stem. He explained that is a big reason why "new" pipe enthusiasts experience this more because the pipe has no cake built yet. I am sure there a more reasons but it seems that everyone here has valid points and good advice.
  • Options
    I've always heard that a straight stem pipe will have less gurgle.

On another note, where the tenon joins the shank can sometimes gather moisture if there is a space (that is, if the tenon isn't as long as the space carved for it. This happens a lot with filter pipes if you don't use a filter. This can cause gurgle and pop in the stem, not at the draft hole. I would think there is a way to fill that space... maybe some veteran pipe restorers on the forums know some tricks. If your filter pipe comes with an adapter, use it.
  • Options
    One trick I use with tobacco that is a bit moist and with bent stem pipes--especially half-bent to full-bent--I keep P&C Virginia/Burley Hybrid Cube Cute around. This is a very course cut and I put a bit in the bottom of the bowl. Seems to work. P&C also carries two accessories I've tried with varying success. "Philpots" which are absorbent clay shapes that sit at the bottom of the bowl. They sorta work. Kirsten Pipe Stones. Mostly for the Kirsten Metal Pipes, these are also clay shapes...put a dozen or so at the bottom of the bowl then fill. Again, I've had varying success.

Bottom line--my best success has been the Virginia/Burley Cube Cuts. Coupled with the pipe cleaner process. Keeping in mind that not all pipes are drilled perfectly...
  • Options
    Some pipes are very good with smoking drier to me. Cobs and Falcons, Cobs Absorb more and Falcons have that large "Humidome", Meerschaums seem slightly drier to me too.
  • Options
    I recommend E.A. Carey "Magic Inch" pipes. They really seem to deliver the driest smoke  (IMHO, of course....)
  • Options
    Stop drooling.........
  • Options
    I have a dumb solution to the water that condenses in my churchwarden - pull it apart, blow the water out the stem, then reassemble and carry on.  Works like a champ, but you may have to do it more than once per bowl, depending on how much water is in the aromatic.
  • Options

If you smoke a filter pipe without a filter you can use a drilled out piece of wood or Delrin, etc. to fill the empty space.

• Options
    Keep your tongue away from the end of the stem as much as possible.
  • Options
    Does occasionally inhaling make it worse? Or maybe drawing too hard?
  • Options
    And never smoke when scuba diving.