Home Pipes & Tools
Options

My First PIpe!

Well.....   Sort of.  :)

As I think I've probably mentioned here before, my first pipe was a gift I'd received from a dear friend and mentor, retired U.S. Marine General Jim.

Jim presented me with a new in box Dr. Grabow Royalton Bent Bulldog.

Tragically, over the years of traveling the globe I lost it.

This past Thursday I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Dr. Grabow Factory tour up in Sparta NC.

Over the 2 or so hours that we toured the plant it became apparent to everyone there, including the GM / COO of the factory that I had a very strong affinity for Bent Bulldogs.

Towards the conclusion of the tour we were allowed to search through boxes of finished and unfinished pipes that were on the shelves at the back of the plant.  The tour group was given the opportunity to buy unfinished pipes for $10 a piece and $20 for the finished ones.

While I was filling my little box with Bent Bulldogs, Rick, the COO, tapped me on the shoulder and handed me a Brand New Royalton Bent Bulldog with an Amber Bit.  He asked if this one looked like the one I'd lost.  I was speechless.  He further offered it to me for the price of $20 instead of the normal $40+ or so minus a 10% discount.

To make things even better we were given the opportunity to pick up CDL's for $4 a piece.  While I was picking through the boxes of CDL's one of the tour members, Sean, walked up to me and handed me a really neat little Bulldog CDL.

Man what a great trip!

Comments

• Options
    Two beautiful pipes. I can imagine your joy - Like finding a long lost friend. I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment from your pipe. Dr. Grabows don't get the credit they deserve. Nice little pipes ... great smokers ... and an affordable price - what's not to like.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    To me, the best pipes are the one's that have stories attached to them. 

Keep an eye on these guys.
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer
    Wow!  That is really cool!  I love the look of that Royalton Bent Bulldog.  I didn't realize they were a pretty good size.  Always thought they were smaller for some reason.  Nice!