Home Tobacco Talk
Options

The Friendly Ghost

When we talk about ghosting, it's generally viewed as a negative outcome and something to be avoided. On the other hand, we often cite the advantages of mixing or stacking blends in order to create a more interesting and flavorful smoke.

If I know that a certain tobacco is going to ghost my pipe, could I not then intentionally select something different to smoke in it the next time that I think might yield a really good combination?

Comments

• Options
    @Topaz75 Sounds like a good idea to me. Since the bulk of my tobacco is of the aromatic variety if my pipes have retained a bit of a ghost they are undetectable to me as the blends tend to co-exist quite well together. I do have one older Dr. Grabow for when I experiment with Latakia blends and use is primarily when smoking Captain Black 'Black Sea'. So in answer to your question, on the occasions when I smoke an aromatic blend in that particular Dr. Grabow the ghosting of Latakia does add another element to the smoke, adding credence to your suggestion. No need to call an Exorcist to oust the ghost ... use his lingering presence to your advantage and do a little experimenting.   
  • Options
    Being that part of smoking is "Smoke what you like.", it stands to reason that our pipes will be ghosted, and we don't care. Ghosting is only a problem for those who find what we ghost the pipes with after we're out of the picture, I smoked a Black Cavendish/ Vanilla/ Latakia blend almost exclusively that ghosted my early Kaywoodies and Petersons but I don't find the ghosting a problem with my VaPers and English Blends that I smoke now. The ghost brings good memories of days gone by.