Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Stem Preferences?

Yesterday as I was smoking one of my Charatan's with the comfort bit, it got me thinking about styles of stems.
I had never tried the comfort bit until I came across an estate lot of Charatan's at one of my local antique shops and fell in love with it. 
The comfort bit isn't the most aesthetically appealing stem design but I do find it to be very comfortable. 

There are so many types of pipe stems: wide, narrow, p-lip, fishtail, button, etc.

I was curious as to what types of stems you all prefer, why you prefer them, if there are any that are off-putting to you, and why that is the case.

P.S. If there is another post out there similar to this I apologize, as I was completely unaware.

Comments

• Options
    Do you have a picture of one?
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    Sure do,

Here is a photo of the way it looks viewing the whole pipe.
    FullSizeRender

Here is a photo of just the stem.

IMG_6857
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    @Motie, I thought that topic was similar. 
    However, I am looking for stem preferences and specifics, not so much smoking methods/positions.
  • Options
    I mentioned in an earlier post that I have a terrible gag reflex, so a pipe with a wide stem is something that might possibly set it off. So my preference would be a narrow stem. But now that I'm basically a holder and don't clench a pipe for extended periods of time while working with my hands at the same time I'm smoking ... it's not as much an issue. One pipe that has a tendency to gag me is the Bribbia Calabash I featured as one of my pipes on the Daily Briar Photoshoot. You'll see what I mean about the wide stem - and making matters worse I had to add a softy bit because I was getting some tooth chatter on the stem and wanted to avoid any further damage. 
  • Options

I really like the comfort bit stem on a Charatan, because they hold the rubber pipe bits that I prefer perfectly. Ditto on the Peterson P-lip.

Another reason I like the P-lip, is because it directs the smoke stream off my tongue, and if I have been smoking quite a bit, it can be a welcome relief.

I'm also a big fan of saddle bits when I can find them. The ones on the old Barling's are superb.

I'm usually not a big fan of bent pipes with radically curved stems, but when I find a full bent without a radically bent stem, I will consider a purchase. Some late model pipes feature these 1/8th bent stems on a full bent style pipe.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Every soft-rubber-pipe-bit-thingie I've bought fits -- sloppily -- on all five of my pipes. So I wind up not using soft-rubber-pipe-bit-thingies, even though I'd like to.
  • Options

@motie2, Yes it is true that it can be a challenge to get the rubber pipe bits to fit some stems, however there is a fantastic alternative for smaller stems, as well as stems with a funky shape that funnel steeply.

I usually pick up Gardner & Bender brand heat shrink tubing at Home Depot in the 1/2 to 1/4 inch sizing, used for securing and joining electrical wire. If you have an Industrial supply locally, such as Grainger, you can find a larger selection of sizes and thicknesses.

You can experiment, but I have found that it is best to keep the shrink wrap off the button, and place it just ahead and snug against it. I have found that placing it over the button, tends to leave an air pocket, and allows the shrink wrap to wrinkle, especially so the heavier the pipe. If you feel the need, you can also place a second piece over the first, if you feel more comfortable with the double thickness to protect your stem.

I use a pipe lighter carefully, to shrink the wrap against the stem, but I am sure that alternative heat sources could be used with good results, such as 100 watt light bulbs or blow dryers.

I find that the rubber pipe bits tend to work better on pipes with wider stems, and especially pipes above 40 grams in weight. The shrink wrap will tend to wrinkle while clenching, if you use it on a relatively heavy pipe, however it is the cat's meow on smaller pipes with thinner and narrower stems.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @xDutchx -- Thank you for the suggestion.....
  • Options