Home General
Options

Memorial Day;

To all those who served, for all those who fell, for all those who came back broken, for all those who care.

Comments

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
  • Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master
    I'll second that!
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Repost from previous Memorial Day folder:

On Memorial Day, we pause for a moment and to remember those who have given their life for this Republic, and the cost of building and preserving it. This Monday is a day that often loses its true meaning to the barbecues and festivities that replace going to work. Memorial Day began as a springtime day for decorating the graves of those who died in the American Civil War with flowers; a day of memorial for those on both sides of the conflict. In life, they were English, German, French, Italian, and Irish, Christians, non-believers, and Jews, homeborns and immigrants, slavers and slaves. But in death, they were all Americans. If we could but recognize that truth, perhaps our political discourse could be more focused on the issues and less on demonizing those who disagree with us.  
  • Options
    Growing up in Canada and being a Legion Member still I was taught this poem from a young age and it is said mostly during Remembrance Day (Nov. 11) ceremony but is as true as we here in America honor the Victorious War Dead.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

We Will Remember Them!
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    The full original:

<<In the rising of the sun and in its going down, 

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 18.0px Arial}
    p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 18.0px Arial; min-height: 21.0px}
    p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Arial; min-height: 14.0px}

we will remember them.

In the blowing of the wind and in the chill of winter,  

we will remember them.

In the opening of the buds and in the rebirth of spring, 

we will remember them.

In the blueness of the sky an din the warmth of summer, we will remember them.

In the rustling of leaves and in the beauty of autumn, 

we will remember them.

In the beginning of the year and when it ends, 

we will remember them.

When we are weary and in need of strength, 

we will remember them.

When we are lost and sick at heart, 

we will remember them.

When we have joys we yearn to share, 

we will remember them.

So long as we live, they too shall live, 

for they remain a part of us, as we remember them.>>

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Another system glitch, above.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Unfortunately, the sentiment so eloquently expressed above has been lost on those whose superficial understanding of history would compel them to tear down a statue of Stonewall Jackson.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Let's try this again:

In the rising of the sun and in its going down, 
    we will remember them.
    In the blowing of the wind and in the chill of winter,  
    we will remember them.

In the opening of the buds and in the rebirth of spring, 
    we will remember them.
    In the blueness of the sky an din the warmth of summer, 
    we will remember them.

In the rustling of leaves and in the beauty of autumn, 
    we will remember them.
    In the beginning of the year and when it ends, 
    we will remember them.

When we are weary and in need of strength, 
    we will remember them.
    When we are lost and sick at heart, 
    we will remember them.

When we have joys we yearn to share, 
    we will remember them.
    So long as we live, they too shall live, 
    for they remain a part of us, as we remember them.

• Options
    @motie2 That is also a great a suitable poem for the day but the poem I referenced above is this:

For the Fallen

Robert Laurence Binyon, by artist William Strang.
    Laurence Binyon

Poem by Robert Laurence Binyon (1869-1943), published in The Times newspaper on 21st September 1914.

With proud thanksgiving,
    a mother for her children,

England mourns for her dead across the sea.

Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,

Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal

Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.

There is music in the midst of desolation

And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,

Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;

They sit no more at familiar tables of home;

They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;

They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,

Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,

To the innermost heart of their own land they are known

As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,

Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,

As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,

To the end, to the end, they remain.

• Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    I just came from our small towns' Memorial Day parade (yes, I had my pipe lit). A parade not unlike many, many small town parades this day, or so I think. Fire engines, marching bands, Honor Guards from the American Legion and the VFW. Tons of kids on their bikes, Little League teams in the uniforms, Boy Scouts, and the Mayor and City Fathers all "marching". Very much a true Norman Rockwell experience. I go every year just to see what true America is all about so I can renew my faith in our society. I wear a Navy shirt or hat, and get thanked for my service which is a very humbling experience, and return the jesture.

Yesterday I went with my wife to my Dads' grave and my Uncles' grave and placed flags just as I have done for so many years already. My Dad was a POW in WW2, my Uncle died while in the Army for over 30 years. I would o the same for my WW1 Veteran Grandfather but his resting place is just too far away. It was a glorious sight to see the many small American Flags ruffled in the breeze, and a fulfilling thought that so many people still care about our American Values and what we respect and love. 

Last night I watched the Memorial Day gathering in Washington as I also do every year. It is funny that each year I watch it with increasingly teared eyes over the stories that are told, and the sights of so many wounded warriors both physically and emotionally. Tales from family members regarding their fallen family members, and thanking God that I was able to return home safely.

So I am here to tell you that there is still a very strong love for our country and what it stands for by my observations. You just have to look for it. God Bless all our fallen Warriors who have given us what we have today.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    <<Today, we stand together to commemorate and honor our brave soldiers who paid the ultimate price defending our freedoms. Can pride and honor alone replace the pain of losing a loved one to the call of duty? How can it? The least we could do is reach out our hand and show our country's grieving mothers, widowed brides, and fatherless children that we care. We must commemorate the fallen not only for the sake of the fallen, but for the sake of the living family members they left behind.

If your family has been fortunate to avoid the grim reality of war, like mine has, then you should consider reading up on the history. Know the facts. Let's do our best to empathize with our fellow countrymen dealing with that painful reality.>>

Take a Memorial Day Quiz here:    https://tinyurl.com/y95hfz2t

See how much you know; find out what you don't.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I got three wrong. The first question I was pretty sure of but it wasn't one of the choices so I had to take a stab at it, and the very last one I blew, I have a feeling it's bogus. But to be fair I looked it up and they probably have the answer correct although I still think it's bogus (only because I got it wrong). 

At least I passed.
  • Options
    @Phillip - the last question was a sinking curve ball. Then again in my 21 years of active duty I never remember the flag being raised at noon on Memorial Day.
  • Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master

The one that threw me for a loop was #9.

If 47% of Veterans served with someone who was killed in service, it is no wonder that so many suffer from PTSD.

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I distinctly remember the raising at noon and continue to do so at home. I fly a holiday flag, replacing my normal 4 x 6 with a 5 x 8. As you probably can guess I also have a yard arm but fly no other flags while at half mast. Regretfully I have no Union Jack to worry about.

For those who may not know, be sure to always raise the flag to the top of the staff when ever it's hoisted. You lower to half mast (slowly). 

The reason the first question in that quiz bugs me so much is because I really thought the tradition began with President Lincoln at Gettysburg. How could I have been wrong for so long? 
  • Options
    Anyone still interested should go to http://www.usmemorialday.org/ for more on the history of Memorial Day.