Home General
Options

Don't wish me a "Happy Memorial" Day.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Minion Pro'}
p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Minion Pro'; min-height: 14.0px}

I don’t want to offend anyone but do me a favor. Don’t wish me a Happy Memorial Day. It is not a “happy” holiday.

Wish me a Happy Father’s Day. I’m good with Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary. I wish my wife a Happy Mother’s Day every year. (I am confused by Happy Easter but I will concede that it’s a religious holiday which some celebrate as a happy occasion.)

Thank me for my service on Veteran’s Day. I’m good with that as I’m a veteran and it’s the appropriate time for thanking all veterans. 

But don’t expect me to reply when you say, “Happy Memorial Day.” It’s not a day for rejoicing.

Memorial Day is not an excuse for BBQ’s, Beach parties, getting stinking drunk, playing baseball or attending the Indianapolis 500. Or a combination of any of the above.

Again, I apologize if I offend anyone, but Memorial Day is not about dead celebrities or politicians. 

(While it was not originally about Police Officers or Fire Fighters, I can’t think of a better day to remember those who have died in the line of duty also)

Memorial Day is about remembering those serving in the United States Military who have died while performing their duties. It’s about remembering what they sacrificed so that you can have your picnic and toss back a few drinks. It’s about quietly remembering that other families have missing pieces to their parties that can never be replaced.

If you want to observe Memorial Day, might I suggest visiting a national or state Veteran’s Cemetery?  They are unfortunately filled with brave heroes who gave their lives because the country asked them to. 

You don’t have to say, “Happy Memorial Day” to them. A simple “Thank You for your sacrifice” will do.

Comments

• Options
    Ooh-rah.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  Although I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with people thanking me for my service.
  • Options

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Minion Pro'}
    p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Minion Pro'; min-height: 14.0px}

@wookieeejake - random people coming up and saying "Thank you for your service." has become so commonplace that it has no meaning, it's just lip service because it became the thing to do after 9/11.

Sad story - I have a friend who served in Vietnam. He really hates the "Thank you for your service" crowd. He said one woman he knew in high school came up to him and said it a couple of years ago. He looked at her and asked why she didn't tell him that when he came home from Vietnam instead of calling him a murderer and baby killer.

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Have a contemplative Memorial Day
  • Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master

I posted this link on another pipe forum a couple years ago when it hit the net. I think every American who has not served should be required to read it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/sunday-review/please-dont-thank-me-for-my-service.html?_r=0

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    On Memorial Day, we pause for a moment and to remember those who have given their life for this Republic, and the cost of building and preserving it. This Monday is a day that often loses its true meaning to the barbecues and festivities that replace going to work. Memorial Day began as a springtime day for decorating the graves of those who died in the American Civil War with flowers; a day of memorial for those on both sides of the conflict. In life, they were English, German, French, Italian, and Irish, Christians, non-believers, and Jews, homeborns and immigrants, slavers and slaves. But in death, they were all Americans. If we could but recognize that truth, perhaps our political discourse could be more focused on the issues and less on demonizing those who disagree with us.  

God of our ancestors,
    Shelter those who defend our nation
    Protect them from harm
    Be with them in their efforts
    in times of peace and on the battlefield.
    In conflict, may the know victory.
    Grant healing to those who are wounded
    and swift deliverance for those taken by an enemy
    Grant consolation to those who mourn
    and eternal life to those who have fallen
    Be ever with our civil and military leaders
    May it be Your will that hostilities cease
    That those who serve may return to their families
    May freedom dawn for the oppressed, speedily and in our day
    May the vision be fulfilled
    Let nation not lift up sword against nation nor learn war anymore.
    Amen
  • Options
    mezzoduomomezzoduomo Apprentice
    981279_3082022667386_429774529_o

Taken at the National Memorial Cemetery here in Phoenix.
    Remember the fallen....

• Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    PappyJoe:

How wonderfully said......I absolutely and totally agree with you. I saw a 30 some year Marine Vet friend the other day, and when we parted he said to me "Don't forget Memorial Day, YOU know what that is about".....I understood completely.