Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe Cleaning

How often do you guys give your pipes a really good cleaning? I'm talking reaming and maybe even salt treatment?

Comments

• Options
    I haven't tried salt treatment yet, as all the estates I've purchased have been in good condition. To be honest, salt treatment is a bit intimidating, as I'd be worried about ruining the pipe, but I'd do the research first before performing it.

My method for cleaning is taking a few pipes with me to my garage with a bunch of pipe cleaners. I'll run the first cleaner or two through 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, and run them through the stem and shank, doubling up the cleaner to make sure every nook gets proper attention. If I need to, I'll ream the bowl to remove excess cake. I'll also take Burt's Beeswax chapstick on the stem and polish it up.

One of these days I'll need to pick up a good stem polish and tackle some of my oxidized stems. I'm also interested in finding a different alcohol solution to clean my pipes with, but I haven't done the research yet into what would be the most ideal for it.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @thebadgerpiper I pretty much clean my pipes the same way you described.  I am very intimidated by the salt treatment but have a pipe or two I am willing to try it out on, when I get the time.  As far as the alcohol, I'd stay away from isopropyl, everything I read has it doing pretty much the same stuff as ethanol alcohol but I'd only use something safe for human consumption.  I've heard of people using whiskey or rum, really any liquor (not the surgary stuff) but I use Everclear and love the clean taste it leaves after everything evaporate (just be careful of flame when using).
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper and @drac2485....I agree that using Iso is not the best choice, as I have read to stay away from it. I usually give mine a good cleaning by breaking them down, using high proof alcohol (be careful not to get it on the stain or it will take it off after a while). and scrubbing the heck outta them with both hard and soft pipe cleaners. I then wax them and buff them with a microfiber towel. I do it every other month or so when I think they are starting to get funky. It's a good thing to do on a rainy day while smoking a pipe in the garage. 
  • Options
    @drac2485 I've heard Everclear is a good alcohol to clean pipes with. I'll have to keep an eye out at the store for one to use.

@PipeProfessor I'll be sure to use something else for the next time I clean my pipes. What percentage of alcohol should I look for when picking one for pipe cleaning purposes? What do you use to wax the bowls?

And I agree about cleaning pipes on a rainy day. There's something inherently relaxing about smoking a pipe while cleaning your other pipes. I'll just put some music on and just focus on the task while happily puffing away.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper I hear Everclear is good as well as high proofed rums. Just make sure not to get anything too sweet (or thick like aftershock, ice 101...or anything else that you expect to find at a college party) that may ghost the pipe. I would say it should have a proof of at least 85 or 90. As for wax I use carnauba wax. Just make sure to check around because it can get pricey. Also make sure its pure, don't get car wax with it. Remember your pipe will always absorb at least a little bit of what you put on it, so make sure you are comfortable smoking it!